• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New lid

56taskforce

Well it was between two new helmets and the less expensive won out. I was  Drooling over Shoei's Neotec II and thought HJC's new ARPHA 90 looked intriguing in the end price won out and I ordered the HJC. I am currently wearing an HJC IS-MAX that I bought two years ago but made the mistake of not checking the manufacture date on a helmet on an uber sale :??: I got the new HJC on sale as well but as it is a newly released model not to mention I had been waiting as it has been out of stock I know it hasn't been sitting on a shelf for three years. The ARPH 90 has been getting great reviews and is lighter than the Neotec, it is supposed to be quite for a modular and very stable at speed just hope it doesn't leave me wishing I had gotten the Neotec instead I guess we'll see  :great:

Thanks for sharing.  I also had an HJC modular, but the locking mechanism broke after a year or two, and that is when I went with the Nolan N-103, which was after the N-104 had come out.  It had also been manufactured about two years before I started using it.  I rationalized that the clock started when I started using it, and that degradation was slower while in a box on a shelf, but that may not be accurate.

I stuck my head in a Shubert and a Shoei two weeks ago, and I like the Neotech a lot.  I am patiently waiting for the local dealer to have their winter sale, and hope they don't exclude the helmets.

I fell in love when I tried a Neotec II on really hope I don't regret getting it but the price difference and the HJC is lighter... I haven't tried an ARPHA  90 on so going in a little blind, but I like my old HJC and this one is supposed to be a huge improvement over that one.

Well the RPHA 90 is here got the Sena 20 transferred from my old helmet and wearing it around the house I really like it. Everything I heard about mounting a blue tooth to the new RPHA 90 said it would have to be sticky mounted due to the inner shield mechanism but mine is clamp mounted tight behind the shield control. The new helmet also has perfect speaker wells that fit the Sena speakers like it was made for them.
Right out of the box first thing I noticed was how incredibly light this helmet is, much lighter than my first gen IS Max hell it makes the IS Max feel like a bowling ball.  I am so looking forward to my ride to work tomorrow oh BTW also got a new Klim Apex jacket yesterday  :)

How do you know when to replace a helmet...is there protocol?  I have an HJC CL-17 and shoei neotech modular that are both 2 - 3 years old, never been droppped and don't (permanently) stink (yet).  As we all know, they're not cheap and worth every penny, but if I can get more life out of them, I would just as soon spend money on other (protective) gear.

Thanks!

Shawn said:
How do you know when to replace a helmet...is there protocol?  I have an HJC CL-17 and shoei neotech modular that are both 2 - 3 years old, never been droppped and don't (permanently) stink (yet).  As we all know, they're not cheap and worth every penny, but if I can get more life out of them, I would just as soon spend money on other (protective) gear.

Thanks!
Recommended 7 year limit, supposedly the hard foam layer degrades and loses its ability to effectively absorb impact. Don't  worry so much about a drop as long as the shell has not sustained damage and there was no weight in the helmet to compress the hard foam layer.

Rode with the new life today, I have a hour commute to work about half freeway and half city. My first impression is this is an outstanding helmet for the price HJC hit a home run.
Noise: it's really quite although at first I wasn't sure as wind noise started as soon as I was rolling however it didn't seem to get any louder with speed.
Stability: This lid glides through the air so much better than its predecessor
Build quality: Very good I noticed most while  Disassembly and reassembly installing my Sena 20 blue tooth.
Weight: well it is the second lightest modular on the market..
;)