• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New McKinney TX Owner

dbonevt8498

After many weeks of research (mainly on this site), I pulled the trigger on a new 2022 Concours.

I've been without a bike for about 12 years, but a bunch of friends recently bought bikes, so I caught the bug again and decided to get back in the game. My previous bike was a 2000 ZRX-1100. Outside of a few track days, I treated it like a sport touring bike. An aftermarket windshield and seat made that easier to do.

Based on my previous riding experience and everything I read in the forums, I knew I wanted to make 3 changes immediately. New exhaust, flash the ECU, and add a GPS. So after just 37 miles (riding home from the dealership), I added a Black Widow exhaust, the Garmin Zumo GPS, and sent my ECU to Steve for the Mountain Runner Premium. I now have 250 miles on it after a few short day out-and-back rides, and I'm loving the bike. I'm looking forward to expanding my riding envelope now that fall is approaching down here.

My day job is corporate pilot, so I don't have a "normal" work schedule. If anybody's in the area and available for weekday morning rides, let me know. I'd love to meet some locals and start to explore the North Texas roads.

Dave

Welcome to the COG forum! We're glad you're here! If you want to unlock all the benefits of the club, please consider joining as a full member. It's worth the $37 a year. Enjoy the new bike and don't forget to tell Ted that red is NOT the fastest color! šŸ¤£

After many weeks of research (mainly on this site), I pulled the trigger on a new 2022 Concours.

I've been without a bike for about 12 years, but a bunch of friends recently bought bikes, so I caught the bug again and decided to get back in the game. My previous bike was a 2000 ZRX-1100. Outside of a few track days, I treated it like a sport touring bike. An aftermarket windshield and seat made that easier to do.

Based on my previous riding experience and everything I read in the forums, I knew I wanted to make 3 changes immediately. New exhaust, flash the ECU, and add a GPS. So after just 37 miles (riding home from the dealership), I added a Black Widow exhaust, the Garmin Zumo GPS, and sent my ECU to Steve for the Mountain Runner Premium. I now have 250 miles on it after a few short day out-and-back rides, and I'm loving the bike. I'm looking forward to expanding my riding envelope now that fall is approaching down here.

My day job is corporate pilot, so I don't have a "normal" work schedule. If anybody's in the area and available for weekday morning rides, let me know. I'd love to meet some locals and start to explore the North Texas roads.

Dave
Welcome Dave!
I welcome you from the opposite corner of the metromess. Not much to explore in North Texas unfortunately...(if you find something, let me know). My riding buddy and I tried to find something to the northeast of town and settled for breakfast in Ol' McKinney and then gas up in Oklahoma and then Lunch at Crow's Country Cafe.
outbound ---> https://goo.gl/maps/srLGGnM7RnTiWY8A9
Inbound ---> https://goo.gl/maps/5GQXM5GX28zzgh597
That's my best recollection anyway....if you hit a gravel road then my memory screwed it up.

Sorry about your schedule, but I didn't get a normal schedule when I worked either...and I worked in a basement most of my career not a cockpit so...sorry no sympathy coming your way from me...only envy. Yes fall is really the best time to ride in Texas.

Let see, exhaust, Zumo, reflash....well..... 2 outta 3 isn't too bad for a C14 beginner. :unsure:;)
(says one of three guys on the forum that like the original quiet bazooka muffler. :) )

Last edited:
Welcome to the COGdom Dave. Your gonna like it here.
Good folks. <even Bud>
Don't believe Bud. RED is the fastest color.
You sound like a lot of us. (Off bikes for an extended period and came back to riding with a Connie).
There have been several rides going on recently. Would have been a good way to break that new toy in.
There are several COGgers in the Dallas Fort Worth area.

Couple of questions.
1) What AC do you fly?
2) Will your schedule allow longer rides? (Can longer rides be planned)
3) Did you install a BW slip-on or the complete system?
4) (If complete system) Have you heard of the slight Mod you can do to increase torque?
5) Bike Color?

Ride safe, Ted (SRCA Founder/President)

I will definitely become a full member of the forums. Just need to figure out what I need to do.

Ted - To answer your questions...
1) What AC do you fly? HONDAJET BASED IN ADDISON FOR WORK. RV-7A, RV-10, AND LEGEND CUB ALL BASED AT AERO COUNTRY (MCKINNEY) FOR FUN.
2) Will your schedule allow longer rides? (Can longer rides be planned) YES. WEEK-TO-WEEK, MY SCHEDULE IS RARELY THE SAME. BUT WHEN I'M OFF, I'M OFF, SO I CAN GO ANYWHERE. FOR EXAMPLE, THIS WEEK I FLEW A DAY TRIP ON MONDAY THEN I DON'T FLY AGAIN UNTIL THIS COMING TUESDAY.
3) Did you install a BW slip-on or the complete system? JUST THE SLIP-ON
4) (If complete system) Have you heard of the slight Mod you can do to increase torque? SEE #3
5) Bike Color? BLACK, WHICH IS DEFINITELY NOT MY FIRST CHOICE. MY FIRST BIKE WAS A 1983 VIRAGO "MIDNIGHT EDITION" (BOUGHT IN 1998 WHILE IN COLLEGE), AND THAT THING WAS A NIGHTMARE TO KEEP CLEAN! I VOWED TO NEVER OWN A BLACK BIKE OR CAR AGAIN, BUT THE 2022 CONNIE WAS ONLY AVAILABLE IN BLACK, SO I HAD TO DO WHAT I HAD TO DO :)

Is there a market for my almost-new exhaust sitting on my shelf? I guess it could be worth something to somebody looking to rebuild a bike or maybe somebody that dropped the bike and messed up the pipe or muffler. I searched the forums, but it doesn't look like anybody has sold a stock exhaust in a long time.

Is there a market for my almost-new exhaust sitting on my shelf? I searched the forums, but it doesn't look like anybody has sold a stock exhaust in a long time.
Well now I don't know, one of us ol' coots might be interested.....not enough to get in a bidding war with someone that really wants it but I wouldn't throw it away just yet. I think the later models (yours) have a better looking exhaust pipe than the older C14s (mine) and definitely better than most after market ones.
Of course all I would need is the pipe and heat covers I think, but then maybe I could help you get rid of that bazooka as well. You probably want a clean shelf there for storing other stuff. EAA magazines and what not...maybe in a month or so we can talk about it if you still have that shelf storage problem goin' on.;)

I will definitely become a full member of the forums. Just need to figure out what I need to do.

Ted - To answer your questions...
1) What AC do you fly? HONDAJET BASED IN ADDISON FOR WORK. RV-7A, RV-10, AND LEGEND CUB ALL BASED AT AERO COUNTRY (MCKINNEY) FOR FUN.
2) Will your schedule allow longer rides? (Can longer rides be planned) YES. WEEK-TO-WEEK, MY SCHEDULE IS RARELY THE SAME. BUT WHEN I'M OFF, I'M OFF, SO I CAN GO ANYWHERE. FOR EXAMPLE, THIS WEEK I FLEW A DAY TRIP ON MONDAY THEN I DON'T FLY AGAIN UNTIL THIS COMING TUESDAY.
3) Did you install a BW slip-on or the complete system? JUST THE SLIP-ON
4) (If complete system) Have you heard of the slight Mod you can do to increase torque? SEE #3
5) Bike Color? BLACK, WHICH IS DEFINITELY NOT MY FIRST CHOICE. MY FIRST BIKE WAS A 1983 VIRAGO "MIDNIGHT EDITION" (BOUGHT IN 1998 WHILE IN COLLEGE), AND THAT THING WAS A NIGHTMARE TO KEEP CLEAN! I VOWED TO NEVER OWN A BLACK BIKE OR CAR AGAIN, BUT THE 2022 CONNIE WAS ONLY AVAILABLE IN BLACK, SO I HAD TO DO WHAT I HAD TO DO :)

Is there a market for my almost-new exhaust sitting on my shelf? I guess it could be worth something to somebody looking to rebuild a bike or maybe somebody that dropped the bike and messed up the pipe or muffler. I searched the forums, but it doesn't look like anybody has sold a stock exhaust in a long time.
U cant even give them away for the cost of shipping....

And welcome to the group....

Howdy Dave! Welcome and congrats on your new land craft. What size and type of BW slip-on did you pick up, and are you running it with or without the baffle? I found that removing the baffle really lets the motor run super nice, at the expense of a few extra dB in the ears. The upsides are that not only are you getting optimal performance, but you're alerting all the cagers to your presence.

If you have the time for some longer rides, heading down from your neck of the woods to the Three Sisters is always a worthwhile trip. But, prepare your budget for lots of tires because the grit level of the roads around there is sure to eat rubber, especially if you're pushing things a bit.

If you're looking for a fun run, coming up next month (weekend of the 21st and 22nd) is our area's formal fall event called Big Bend-Davis Mountains Ride the Twisties [TX] and we'd love to meet you there! https://concours.org/event-4902575

Keep us in the loop with how you farkle up your '22, and we'll see you soon!

Cheers, AB

Welcome, welcome. I'm in the south of Okieland near Marietta. I've got about 2.5 miles of curvy road near me to explore. LOL Well, there is a slight jog in the road anyway. Glad your here.

Welcome! McKinney, eh? I graduated from McKinney High way back when there was only one. Now it's Faubion Middle School. Enjoy your time with us, even Ted, and if you can schedule time away from work next June it would be great to meet you in person at the National Rally in Oregon. The Pacific northwest has some amazing scenery and roads.

Welcome, welcome. I'm in the south of Okieland near Marietta. I've got about 2.5 miles of curvy road near me to explore. LOL Well, there is a slight jog in the road anyway. Glad your here.
My mom went to high school in Marietta and grew up not far from there in Enville.