• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New Member from Washington State

copland504087

Finally decided to take the plunge and become a COG member. I currently have a 2018 model, this is my FOURTH one after starting on a 2007, 2009 and then a 2012. All the bikes were bought and sold so I keep progressing up the chain. I swore the 2012 would be my last but I sold it and bought a GOLDWING! Yeah I know it was huge transition but I kept it for about three months and sold it. I was without a bike for a few years and after retiring from public service I decided to ride again and guess what? Yup I searched high and low and eventually I found a used 2018 model with about 5k miles. It was dropped by the previous owner but mostly cosmetic and it still had the Kawasaki extended warranty. So here I am and look forward to riding more than my previous commuting to work only and get on the road. Hope to run into some fellow COG and Concours members on the road. Now I gotta get some far on this stock bike!!

Welcome to COG @copland504087!

The Connie is in your blood for sure; enjoy the new to you 2018 and the extra time you now have.

Thank You for your service,

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Welcome from Lynnwood! Did you put the Buncooler on your calendar yet? It's a great time, and a chance to meet a bunch of us.

Chris

What does anyone think about riding from Seattle into Vancouver area, Victoria Island?
Different people will have different ideas about this. I could be totally wrong, but I have no desire to go there. There are some nice things to see in Victoria, but to me, it is a tourist trap and nothing like England where I lived for five years. The rest of the island will be nice riding, but nothing spectacular. Low density traffic...but nothing I can't see elsewhere. Someone from the island would be able to give you a better answer.

I suggest laying out a route using Google Maps, and then use the Street View to "see" what the area looks like. There's a way to also view photos that have been taken in the area. If someone has found anything worth taking a picture of, you'll see it as a tiny circle on the map and you can click on that to view it.

Some alternative suggestions in no particular order:
- Banff/Canmore to Jasper, B.C.. Lake Louise and Moraine Lake Plan to spend some time there at each end. The scenery is some of the most incredible you will ever see.
- Artist Point at Mt Baker. I used to spend hours hiking to get to a ridgeline like this...and you can ride to it when the roads are clear. Plan to do some low impact/low stress hiking, walking around...just gazing at some jaw-dropping scenery. Roads are not in as good of shape as in years past. Be careful...as you get closer and closer to the end, the roads get tighter and tighter. It's hard to divide your attention between the road and the scenery.
- North Cascades Highway. Best viewed going East to West. All the viewpoint turnoffs will be to your right traveling west.
- Neah Bay. Check to see if it is now open. You travel across Indian lands and they had it closed down during the COVID lockdowns. You can hike out to the most western point on the contiguous USA. Good scenery, and twisty roads.
- Hurricane Ridge. While you're out on the Olympic Peninsula, you should check this one out. Roads are good and twisty.
- Mt. Rainier. There's a reason the locals call this "The Mountain"...and everyone knows which one they are talking about. The Cascade Range rises up to 7000 feet. Mt. Rainier sticks up another 7000 ft above that. You can drive all the way around...and see something different at each turn.
- Mt. St. Helens. It blew its top awhile back. I climbed it when it was a couple thousand feet taller. It is still incredible to view. The east approach on Windy Ridge is better IMHO, but the road getting there is treacherous. Pot holes big enough to swallow you and your bike and leave no trace. Once on Windy Ridge Road, NF-99, it is an incredible winding road. This is another where you don't try to split your time riding it fast and watching the scenery. I know of a guy who was doing that on his Harley. They medevaced him out, then sent in a Chinook helicopter to get his bike out. The west entrance is far better maintained and an easy approach on local roads or I-5.

That'll give you a couple weeks of riding. ;)

Chris

Different people will have different ideas about this. I could be totally wrong, but I have no desire to go there. There are some nice things to see in Victoria, but to me, it is a tourist trap and nothing like England where I lived for five years. The rest of the island will be nice riding, but nothing spectacular. Low density traffic...but nothing I can't see elsewhere. Someone from the island would be able to give you a better answer.

I suggest laying out a route using Google Maps, and then use the Street View to "see" what the area looks like. There's a way to also view photos that have been taken in the area. If someone has found anything worth taking a picture of, you'll see it as a tiny circle on the map and you can click on that to view it.

Some alternative suggestions in no particular order:
- Banff/Canmore to Jasper, B.C.. Lake Louise and Moraine Lake Plan to spend some time there at each end. The scenery is some of the most incredible you will ever see.
- Artist Point at Mt Baker. I used to spend hours hiking to get to a ridgeline like this...and you can ride to it when the roads are clear. Plan to do some low impact/low stress hiking, walking around...just gazing at some jaw-dropping scenery. Roads are not in as good of shape as in years past. Be careful...as you get closer and closer to the end, the roads get tighter and tighter. It's hard to divide your attention between the road and the scenery.
- North Cascades Highway. Best viewed going East to West. All the viewpoint turnoffs will be to your right traveling west.
- Neah Bay. Check to see if it is now open. You travel across Indian lands and they had it closed down during the COVID lockdowns. You can hike out to the most western point on the contiguous USA. Good scenery, and twisty roads.
- Hurricane Ridge. While you're out on the Olympic Peninsula, you should check this one out. Roads are good and twisty.
- Mt. Rainier. There's a reason the locals call this "The Mountain"...and everyone knows which one they are talking about. The Cascade Range rises up to 7000 feet. Mt. Rainier sticks up another 7000 ft above that. You can drive all the way around...and see something different at each turn.
- Mt. St. Helens. It blew its top awhile back. I climbed it when it was a couple thousand feet taller. It is still incredible to view. The east approach on Windy Ridge is better IMHO, but the road getting there is treacherous. Pot holes big enough to swallow you and your bike and leave no trace. Once on Windy Ridge Road, NF-99, it is an incredible winding road. This is another where you don't try to split your time riding it fast and watching the scenery. I know of a guy who was doing that on his Harley. They medevaced him out, then sent in a Chinook helicopter to get his bike out. The west entrance is far better maintained and an easy approach on local roads or I-5.

That'll give you a couple weeks of riding. ;)

Chris
Thanks for your input. I look forward to getting out west really soon.

Ditto on Chris' comments (with the exception of Canada as I've not ridden there yet.)

Neah Bay is open, rode there last July. You need to stop at the min-mart in Neah Bay to purchase an Activities pass. Hwy 112 is a great ride along the Strait.

Andy

Ditto on Chris' comments (with the exception of Canada as I've not ridden there yet.)

Neah Bay is open, rode there last July. You need to stop at the min-mart in Neah Bay to purchase an Activities pass. Hwy 112 is a great ride along the Strait.

Andy
Thanks for input.