• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New Owner Thanks and First Impressions!

l.doyle5597

I picked up a 2003 Concours with 39k miles about a week ago. Spent last week after work bringing it up to date on maintenance and was able to check off every maintenance item except carb synch. I'll get that done as soon as I can come up with the tool. Bike was clean but really came to life after the full maintenance and cleaning. THANK YOU to this forum and COG tech articles. . . you made things easy. Also did the hydrolock test (all 4 rods measured fine), the Free Power mod, added a USB and 12v power source and relocated the coolant catch tank.

I took the bike for a quick 100 mile shakedown run yesterday and I gotta say, for an 18 year old bike this thing feels great. I've had sportbikes in the past and currently ride dirt and dual sport bikes. This is my first sport-tourer and I love it! I live in the Central-Sierra in CA so it's the perfect bike for this environment (few "straight" roads :) ) The bike is very planted, turns in surprisingly well, is comfortable and just a joy to ride.

Two observations/questions for the group:
-Any options aside from the G2 throttle for a quick-throttle? Maybe an OEM option from another bike? There is so much "throw" with the stock throttle cam that I feel like I almost need to regrip when opening it up.
-I was expecting the bike to have more midrange power. I owned a '89 ZX-10 many years ago and while I understand this bike is detuned, it really lacked mid-range power. Thoughts on this? Will Murphs jet kit and exhaust gear help or am I just expecting too much from a 700lb bike?

I gotta say, these bikes are an absolute steal right now. Including purchase price of $1k I'm into this bike less than $1500 ($1750 once my Rifle screen ships). . . probably one of the best $1500 I've spent in a LONG time!

A few pics from the shakedown run. . . bike came with both OEM side cases and a Givi as well .. .

Thanks all!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    234.5 KB · Views: 123
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 119
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 132
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 128
Contact Steve at Shoodaben for the best jet kit setup for these bikes (2 min mod) . I'm in Texas now but grew up in Anaheim , man I miss all the good riding out there . I was able to take my C10 from Texas to San Diego and up to Oregon and back through Colorado and Utah a few years ago . Perfect bike for that trip .

Attachments

• 20211023_100206_(1).jpg
    20211023_100206_(1).jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 103
L.Doyle - Welcome to the group and I see you are well on your way to becoming a fanatic!

Agreed the value of these machines is high and entry cost can be astonishingly low - sounds you found though an exceptional deal! Regret selling my C-10 ‘Saki’ when we purchased the C-14 ‘Blue’.

Look to see you around, hear of some adventures and undoubtedly be jealous of some of the roads that are nearby your location.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Doyle, the 2 minute Jett Kit and the cam sprocket are prolly the best you can do to sweeten up the mid torque curve.

There is one other thing that you can do; that comes to mind; It costs nothing, and is pretty effective.
That's a "baffelectomy".
ie; Put a hole in the inner baffle of each muffler.

Inside each muffler, there is a plate at the bottom.
You can use a hole drill with a long shank, or make a punch to make the hole.
Don't worry that it will be to loud. The baffelectomy makes the bike only slightly louder, but it does increase mid/to high end power.

NOTE: I did dyno tests several years ago on a set of stock muffler, a Cobra F1-S muffler's, and stock muffler's with baffelectomy.
The Cobra's and the baffelectomy both showed almost the identical improvement, but the Baffelectomy costs nothing..

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited: