• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

new rear tire

fournations

Hi Guys, time for a new rear tire. I got a sticker but the tech told me rear tire is done. I put a Michelin pilot 4 on the front last October. maybe has 2000 miles on it. my question is should I stick with same tire for the rear? I've heard the pilot 4`s are good. I'm looking for the best wear for my $$. also reading so much about TPMS systems lately, anything to be concerned about in switching tires out? Jim

Ultimately you can put on whatever you want.

Unless you are looking for a particular handling combination, I'd match the front to the rear.

I use Pilot Road 2 for longevity.  I suspect that's why Michelin still make em.  Regarding TPMS, if you don't have low battery warnings leave em alone til next tyre change.  :beerchug:

The sensors can be broken if the fitter is unaware of their position or is totally careless.

Pbfoot said:
Road smart 3. Deepest tread in the industry.

Good to know - how deep is it? 
The rear tread center depth on my tire model - 190/50/17 Avon Storm 3 XM is 10/32" - measured for several sets.

Pbfoot said:
Road smart 3. Deepest tread in the industry.
Actually, it is equal with the Continental Road Attack 3 at 9/32 nds for the rear.

The Dunlop Road Smart 3 is a great tire.  I had them for through two sets of tires.  Good tread life.  Good traction in wet.  I changed to the Continental Road Attack 3 based on glowing recommendations of others.  A $60 rebate didn't hurt either.  ;)  I'm impressed so far, but haven't ridden in the rain with them.

Chris

Was having a beautiful day Saturday riding with a pillion. Went into a turn and the rear slid a bit; nothing scary just a noticeable slip. I get a tire pressure warning a minute later. Went from 43 PSI to 30. There was a fuel station with a free air pump about 3 miles away. Couldn't fill the tire. Look what I found. Rode 7 miles home on 20 PSI. 7300 miles on the tire and already had a plug. Ordered a set of Roadsmart 111's

Attachments

• cut tire.jpg
    cut tire.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 162
Diz said:
Was having a beautiful day Saturday riding with a pillion. Went into a turn and the rear slid a bit; nothing scary just a noticeable slip. I get a tire pressure warning a minute later. Went from 43 PSI to 30. There was a fuel station with a free air pump about 3 miles away. Couldn't fill the tire. Look what I found. Rode 7 miles home on 20 PSI. 7300 miles on the tire and already had a plug. Ordered a set of Roadsmart 111's

By the looks of the tread in places, you were due for a new tire anyway.

Phil said:
Diz said:

By the looks of the tread in places, you were due for a new tire anyway.

That IS the danger of riding with worn tires.....and a little extra weight on that axle doesn't help either.  :-[

gr

I don't know how long these will last. Right now I have 758 miles on a new set of the Road smart 3's. These are lovely tires both wet and dry staying stuck to the pavement. I used to use the Michelins pretty much exclusively. I tried one Avon in the front and did not care for the wear. But I found the RS 3's to be confidence building enough to enjoy the bike again. I'm pretty sure I'll buy them again.

If you are looking for long life, the Michelin PR 2 is the longest wearing tire I have used. But they didn't build confidence for me. 

The first 3 sets of tires for my Connie never lasted more than 6500 miles each. I always change by the set unless a catastrophic failure happens early in a tire's life. This included a set of PR3's. I loved the grip of the Michelin but when it started to wear; it went bad in a hurry. Switched to PR4 GT's and I was getting 9000 miles per set with good grip toward the end of the tire's life. For about $30 more than the PR4. The Roadsmart 111 seems to average about $40 less per set than the PR4 GT. Hoping I can get near the same mileage with the set I just ordered. I posted a pic of a 3" slash that happened last week. Photo doesn't do it justice; but the tire is not showing wear bars after 7200 miles. Grip was great until it found that sharp object.

The new set of Dunlops arrived and I was able to put them on yesterday. 1st impression: scrub in time was almost non-existent. Tire had great grip from the beginning. Even drove them for several miles on a dirt road. Tire was very predictable or as Tim would say; "confidence building". The 1st 125 miles felt great. As good as I remember a new set of of PR4 GT being.

I used my Nomar tire changer to install the tires; first time for the Connie. I have another bike and had changed those tires previously but those were nothing like the Dunlop to try to get on the rim. I set the tires in the sun on asphalt to heat them up prior to the mounting process. It was still a struggle just to put the tire over the rim. Seating the tire was not going to happen with the Nomar mounting bar. I would get the bar to run the tire under the rim until about 12" of bead was still exposed but the mounting bar could not finish the job; no matter how much I tried to muscle, lift, push or curse the tire onto the rim. I resorted to using spoons and the tire was on in 2 minutes.  :mad: So yeah; the Dunlop has a pretty stiff sidewall which hopefully translates into a great wearing tire.

I have my own tire changer because of all of the hassles and expense of getting a reliable shop to put on some new shoes in my rural county. Won't document all of the issues I've faced but this last change made me glad I went the self changing route. I clean the rim 1st before actually trying to remove the old tire. These last tires had been mounted by a shop. 1st and only time I used them. I brought them the wheel (with old tire)and the new tire to be mounted. They took 1 1/2 hours per tire and charged me $50 per wheel. So yesterday I find 10 5 gram weights on each tire in a group of 4 and 6. Too much weight I thought and then realized the shop never removed the old weights and balanced my tire with 4 weights already on it. I removed all weights and my balanced tires needed only 3 weights on the front and 4 on the rear.

Has the tire changer paid for itself? Not yet. But if I went the dealer route and brought the bike to them so that they removed the wheels, mounted the new tires and collected their fee, I would nearly be even between the 2 bikes. It would take 8 sets of tire changes to break even if I continued the previous method of taking the wheel off the bike and bringing the shop the wheel and new tire. Now I know who did the job and who to blame if say, the tire was mounted with the wrong rotational direction. Yes that did happen and I caught it before I left the dealer. Never went back to that service department.