• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

NEW tpms sensor

cstrom_gis

hello all, I hope this helps someone who needs to replace their tire pressure sensors. I've not seen this tidbit anywhere on the forum and i think it's worth sharing.

Me:  '09 c14, TPMS batteries were dead. Ordered genuine Kawi replacements. 3/1/20. I took bike in for the replacements to be installed.

Kawi Dealership Mechanic: " 2 hour job" he said.  Well, 1 1/2 days and countless curse words later- he could get them to "register" with the bikes computer BUT I would get  "---" for both tires on the display.  He verified with Kawi tech support he was using the correct number (below the bar code on the tpms sensor)

After the THIRD call with Kawi technical support  he gave this advice to the dealer: "oh, yea, um, that number has to be preceded with 4 zeros in the registration process. Otherwise, you'll think they are registered but they really aren't".

Kawi Dealership Mechanic: he preceded the barcode number with 4 zeros in the registration process, and whammo! I have tire pressures displayed.

Conclusion: 1)Kawi needs to send out a TSB for this. I was told they have not. 2) If you get the new TPMS parts and have trouble getting them to work, ensure your mechanic is preceding the barcode number with 4 zeros when he inputs the number into the Kawi diagnostic software.

Hope this helps. it was a real test of my patience.

Just sounds like a poorly trained tech. I had the sensors on my 2009 replaced more than once with the newer sensors, and they had no issues. In and out in less than an hour. I have since decided to let the sensors die, but that's another issue.

:great:
Thanks for that info, but I think the Tech just didn't read or understand the procedure, or... never ever replaced a set... prior.. clearly. The instructions on the KDS tell them exactly how to do it;

When I had mine replaced, I had a dealer with good tech's, who I spoke to prior, and they insured me they had done a number of them... On a mere phone call, they pre ordered the sensors, called me a couple days later, and said drop it off... I dropped it off @ 8 a.m., and they called me at work at 11 a.m. to pick it up... they also did the second brake lever recall upgrade, and the plastic luggage rack recall.... that dealership shows they know the process, for sure.

MOB, the earlier sensors had an 8 digit code on them as you know.  The newer ones have a 4 digit code, hence the need to add 0000 at the start.

Apologies for the monday morning quarterbacking, but you could have saved some bucks by pulling the monitors and sending them to Fred Harmon and having the batteries replaced.  With that method, there is no need to use KDS.  New monitors are pricey!  I would hope you got the old ones from the dealer after they were pulled.

Freddy said:
MOB, the earlier sensors had an 8 digit code on them as you know.  The newer ones have a 4 digit code, hence the need to add 0000 at the start.

Yes, but as I said in my post, I had the new models put in mine as well, and my tech had the job done in less than an hour. Simply a badly trained, tech, or one who didn't follow instructions.