• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

New TX 2001 C10 owner

sugliakd7659

Hello All,
New owner of C10 here in TX, name is Klaus (pronounced like mouse but with KL instead of M.) I Inherited it from my Dad in AZ (Stored for yrs. no fuel within and on the center stand, in his garage) and I personally moved it (via rented CargoVan) to TX last week. I am also new to the COG. Been looking around on here for a few weeks now, and I have to say what a wealth of information. Grateful to Shoodabenengineering and his youtube vids pointing to this group. C10 has been my dream bike for a long, long time and I was downright jealous when my Dad told me he bought 2001 C10 back in 2002 brand new. Well flash forward to 2022 and only 451 miles on the odometer, it's like I got it off the showroom floor. But all is not perfect. Replaced the battery, put 1.25 gallons of fuel in turned the petcock to pri, started to drip fuel at the inserted inline fuel filter, turned the petcock to on, and tightened the clamps to stop the drip. Success!! Cranked her over and she ran...then more fuel leaks occurred primarily left side. I'm thinking I need to rebuild the petcock. Any thoughts? I was able to shut it down and start it up 2 x...both times I wasn't able to identify where the leak was coming from. Haven't started up since the 2nd time startup, I'm kind of concerned about potential Hydro-lock. I know my Dad rebuilt the carbs once already due to fuel gelling up and plugging the jets (ret. USAF A/P mech./ ret Commercial Airline mech. Q/A supervisor) After he rebuilt it, he stored it without fuel. I'm mechanically inclined so I'll be doing the work myself because I don't want to be taken down the road on a financially debilitating ride. Looking forward to reading your comments, suggestions, and criticisms.

There is a recent post about a C10 owner with a bent rod due to hydro-lock. Within the thread is a picture and link about carb modifications that prevent the issue. I can’t seem to find it now… but someone might be able to help. Seemed like cheap insurance. What a cool bike to inherit! Does in qualify for a cheaper vintage vehicle plate?

Here it is!!!!

Thanks for the quick reply, I don't think I have H-L just want to make sure I don't, and not cranking it prevents the potential. I'll go through the thread to see about carb mods that definitely prevent it from happening. In the mean time I'll pull the plugs and verify dry cylinders. And since my Dad was thoughtful and thorough, I'll use the petcock rebuild kit that he gave to me as well and do the work on that if they're dry. As for the vintage plate, don't know yet haven't registered it and transferred the title. It's been in my garage for almost a week now. :) If it does qualify...that'd be wicked cool!

Klaus

Klaus, start with where are you in Texas? (I'm in Houston)
Next, tell us more about where it was leaking?
Left side sounds like fuel lines, or petcock.
If it was coming out of the airbox. Be very careful!

While you're checking for fuel in cylinders, check to see if it has been hydrolocked.

Ride safe, Ted

Welcome to the group ‘Klouse’ and WOW quite a gem you have there!

I expect you just need a rebuild kit for the petcock. Some fuel likely sat in there and ate away over the years.

I cannot get over the minimal miles. How are the tires? I’d check the air filter too, see if any mice moved in. See that all vaccum lines and hoses still pliable; the usual hardware that time has a way of abusing.

Great find! Welcome to the group!

Might as well plan on changing the fork seals. Most likely, they are hardened and will weep oil soon. I would also consider changing the hydraulic lines for the same reason. Gaffer has stainless for great prices, which are bulletproof and greatly improve the feel.

Don't damage a great bike by not fixing the fuel system first.

Take the tank and side panels off and use a small fuel source to supply fuel while looking for the leakage. I have a large syringe. It has a tapered outlet not a needle connection, so I can just plug it into the fuel line. When I fill it with fuel and the carbs get full I can see that no more fuel is flowing. I use this as my post work running leak check, petcock vacuum line plugged with a golf tee, oil, coolant, carb leak and sync, ect. With the bikes tank off you will be able to see most areas that can leak. If it doesn't stop filling or you get leakage, you have a carb float problem, bad supply tube O-rings, ect. and unless you want to do the work yourself. It is time to send them to SISF.

You can check the operation of the petcock with the tank off. In run and reserve there should be no fuel leakage until you apply vacuum to the small fitting. I use a syringe for that also. You can do it by mouth but if you have a bad petcock you might not like the results. In prime fuel will flow from just the large fitting. If fuel is coming out the small fitting or around the seams of the petcock It is bad or needs rebuilt or replaced.

From setting for so long all fluids and rubber parts are questionable. I would take the air filter out while doing the fuel leak checks. You can use a flashlight and mirror to look for fuel overflowing into the airbox or intake.

I have had GREAT luck using Murphs (industry member here) for my C-10 parts. Start with the fuel tank quick release clips and the side panel screw replacement knobs. He has most routine service items and ships FAST.

Also note for an oil change there are 2 drain plugs and the filter.

Consider becoming a paid member. It will give you access the the tech pages of the forum. There are 20 plus years of good information of the C-10. The knowledge base that is on and has been on this group is amazing.

Thanks Guys! For the responses...I am grateful, I have yet to read them in their entirety but I will. I'm based outside of Dallas (Royse City)
Leaking in front of the Carbs, left side. Nothing was observed on the airbox side of the Carbs...
If it cools off this weekend, maybe today, it's threatening to rain right now...I'll be able to work on it. Otherwise I'm not doing work on it in 106-degree temps in the shade... :)
Will keep you posted and reply accordingly to the posts above.

Klaus

Thanks Guys! For the responses...I am grateful, I have yet to read them in their entirety but I will. I'm based outside of Dallas (Royse City)
Leaking in front of the Carbs, left side. Nothing was observed on the airbox side of the Carbs...
If it cools off this weekend, maybe today, it's threatening to rain right now...I'll be able to work on it. Otherwise I'm not doing work on it in 106-degree temps in the shade... :)
Will keep you posted and reply accordingly to the posts above.

Klaus
Good luck Klaus! With a bit of work, you will have a gorgeous classic bike that will able to be enjoyed for many years.

Welcome to the group ‘Klouse’ and WOW quite a gem you have there!

I expect you just need a rebuild kit for the petcock. Some fuel likely sat in there and ate away over the years.

I cannot get over the minimal miles. How are the tires? I’d check the air filter too, see if any mice moved in. See that all vaccum lines and hoses still pliable; the usual hardware that time has a way of abusing.

Great find! Welcome to the group!
Tires look good! No cracks! Pretty good tread. Air filter is good. Hoses, lines still pliable I'll have to post pics.

Klaus

There is a recent post about a C10 owner with a bent rod due to hydro-lock. Within the thread is a picture and link about carb modifications that prevent the issue. I can’t seem to find it now… but someone might be able to help. Seemed like cheap insurance. What a cool bike to inherit! Does in qualify for a cheaper vintage vehicle plate?
That post may be mine. I did post a pic of a modified carb in the thread titled; "Finally on the road again". In response to this posting I can also say that the o-rings between the carbs were the source of my leaking carb problems. I recommend the carb mod to any and all C-10 owners. Wish I could find a Connie with such low miles!

Attachments

• IMG_20220625_182529.jpg
    IMG_20220625_182529.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 79
That post may be mine. I did post a pic of a modified carb in the thread titled; "Finally on the road again". In response to this posting I can also say that the o-rings between the carbs were the source of my leaking carb problems. I recommend the carb mod to any and all C-10 owners. Wish I could find a Connie with such low miles!
Thanks dclifford652047 I'll be checking those o-rings as well.

Klaus

Success!!! Hey Guys I got Blue up and running! Only took 4 months a complete carb teardown cleaning and rebuild. It had 451 miles on it and now has 476 miles on it tonight! My midlife crisis is satiated! Now just to button it up and safety inspection and registration. I've upgraded it a little as well with a wireless charger cell phone mount and a LED light kit (that's a chore.) Yeah blew past a TX DPS on I-30 with expired OoS tags, he/she didn't follow me...of course, I won't be doing that again because with my luck I'd get caught. Still haven't managed to get the smile off my face!

Success!!! Hey Guys I got Blue up and running! Only took 4 months a complete carb teardown cleaning and rebuild. It had 451 miles on it and now has 476 miles on it tonight! My midlife crisis is satiated! Now just to button it up and safety inspection and registration. I've upgraded it a little as well with a wireless charger cell phone mount and a LED light kit (that's a chore.) Yeah blew past a TX DPS on I-30 with expired OoS tags, he/she didn't follow me...of course, I won't be doing that again because with my luck I'd get caught. Still haven't managed to get the smile off my face!
We need those pictures of your beautiful ride!