• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Nitro Harleys full time with NHRA

txfatboy

Scooter
Hell yeah! I was watching the Winternationals today and much to my surprise, they announced that the Nitro Harley class is going to run with the NHRA tour. They have been run as an exhibition class before but never really seen any air time. Yes, I know they are Harleys, but only in name, much like a Pro Stock bike or car really has nothing to do with a production piece.
These monsters run fuel injected 95% Nitromethane, 2 cylinders, 2-speed trans, make about 1000 HP and run about 230-240 MPH!!!!  I realize the "Top Fuel" bikes like Larry the Spiderman McBride's are quicker and faster. I'm just glad there is something like this being aired.... And wow, are those things nuts... :great: 

Attachments

• DSC_0244-8x16.jpg
    DSC_0244-8x16.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 155
It makes me angry that they don't have a "Top Fuel motorcycle class" rather than just Harleys. There are top fuel Kawasaki's out there that will run those times and faster, and many turbo charged inline 4 cylinder bikes that run way faster also. I am even mad because NHRA gives the Harleys an advantage in the Pro Stock M/C division as well. They are allowed 160 cubic inch (2,620cc) engine capacity  but the 4 cylinder Suzuki's and Kawasaki's are only allowed 107 cubic inch engine (1,750cc). Why that is allowed is beyond me. Suzuki and Kawasaki used to dominate Pro Stock motorcycle. So rather than making Harley step up their game they changed the rules. Now the Suzuki's and Kawasaki's are relegated to being also rans. And you wonder why I'm not a Harley fan. Very irritating. 

Jim, I totally understand where you are coming from. I was lucky enough to see Elmer Trett in Houston (Baytown) on his old blue bike. He had a radical new aero-bodied TF bike that looked wicked at the time, but now would be considered normal. He was having problems launching the bike and pulled out ole reliable to run the event..... and won. The modern TF bike is an awesome sight. I was working for TV at a national event in Houston and saw Larry McBride run the first 5 second pass on 2 wheels ever. He carried the front tire the entire pass and it smoked when it touched down past the finish line. It was amazing to witness.
I don't agree with the way NHRA runs the show some times, but I AM glad that they have added the Top Fuel Harleys. If for nothing else, they put on a show. They remind me of the Gassers and Fuel Alterds  from the 60's. A little crazy, a little unpredictable, and a lot of fun to watch. I would definitely rather have this than nothing at all.

txfatboy,
  I got to see Elmer run his top fuel Kawasaki at Ennis many years ago. I still have the pictures around here somewhere.
There is something very cool about a blower mounted on a backwards facing motorcycle cylinder. And when he cracked the
throttle on that thing in the pits when he was warming it up it made your skin vibrate.

Hey Jim, I'll meet you at Ennis for a race sometime. Just let me know when you want to go. That is a fun place to watch top fuel!

Bigfoot_16 said:
Hey Jim, I'll meet you at Ennis for a race sometime. Just let me know when you want to go. That is a fun place to watch top fuel!

>:D >:D
Alright, a COG/JIM/NHRA National event.

Oh.... you didn't mean you'd actually race Jim?  :-[

Nevermind.  :D

Rev Ryder said:

Funny, Chuck! No, I won't be racing. It is very cool to feel the sound waves go through your body at a top fuel race and to see the speed! The next time I go, I'm taking my shooting ear muffs for ear protection. The last time I used ear plugs and they were quite inadequate.

I do as many NHRA nations as I can. I am glad to see the top fuel and
pro- stock (?) bikes. NHRA has to do what ever it can to bring in the
spectators. If they don't then we will have the same problem as NASCAR.
They are definitely a hoot.

If ya'll go to a NHRA or IHRA race with Top Fuelers,, I'm in too.

Do I understand right that they do not do Top Fuel 4 cylinder bikes?

Ride safe, Ted

I helped assemble the bottom end on this car a couple of months ago.  It is almost ready to run again after being destroyed by an engine explosion and fire late last year.  Fortunately the driver got out OK, but the car was toast.  Big time.  We saved very little of it.  I have refused all efforts to get me to "join the team", but enjoy helping GD and Hub out once in a while. Yes, it's a nitro car.
  https://www.facebook.com/BucketListFunnyCar

Here's Hub workin on the car at the track a couple of years back.
Hub%20and%20Bucket%20List_zpsab3ehxby.jpg

Interesting perspective on acceleration..

Putting all of this into perspective for you bikers:
You are riding the average $250,000 Honda MotoGP bike. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start.
You run the RC211V hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest 200 mph (293 ft/sec).
The “tree” goes green for both of you at that moment. The dragster launches and starts after you.
You keep your wrist cranked hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds the dragster catches and passes you.
He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him at 200 mph..

Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race course.

That, folks, is acceleration.

Bigfoot_16 said:
Rev Ryder said:

Funny, Chuck! No, I won't be racing. It is very cool to feel the sound waves go through your body at a top fuel race and to see the speed! The next time I go, I'm taking my shooting ear muffs for ear protection. The last time I used ear plugs and they were quite inadequate.

Last time I raced at Ennis I was on this baby. That was 1990 at the AMA Longhorn Nationals at the Texas Motorplex. There were 64 bikes in E.T. class that day and my little H-2 giant killer whooped them all. 9.60 @ 140mph in the final. Not bad for a 750cc bike. That was my 15 minutes of fame. 

Attachments

• thumbnail_20151007_195921_resized_1[1].jpg
    thumbnail_20151007_195921_resized_1[1].jpg
    29 KB · Views: 122
Had to go to Kerrville this past week to bury Hub's brother Lanny.  Sad day.  Spent some time after that wrenchin' on GD's "Bucket List" Funny Car.  I wired up the mags, switches, and timer.  It's about ready to go again.
The body is hanging from the rafters and is freshly wrapped.  Looks nice.  Had to add a "RIP" next to Lanny's name on the flank. 

EDIT TO ADD: I guess I didn't get the after shot on names after I added the new lettering (including the RIP Lanny), but there was a typo in the original and Mike Atkins should, and now does read, Mikey Adkisson.

Attachments

• Bucket list in shop 1 resized.jpg
    Bucket list in shop 1 resized.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 134
  • Lannys name on bucket list.jpg
    Lannys name on bucket list.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 129