• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Not my day

onpman4402

Well I guess you could call this a partial drop of my pristine 2008 C14 with only 7k miles. Nevertheless, my pride took a shot. I was moving the bike out from between my tool box and I was on the opposite side of the kickstand. The kickstand was down but apparently there was a bag of stove pellets that swept the kickstand up when I passed by it. I went to set it on the kickstand when that oh crap moment set in when you realize you can't pull a 600 pound bike up when it's leaning. It was close enough to the wall that it didn't go down all the way but it leaned up against the mirror on the left side. I was amazed that nothing broke! I had the fairings off as i was changing fluids. The fairing is now tweaked (high right, low left). Anyway i can tweak it back? What usually bends the fairing mounts. I can't see any other damage.

I don't know man...
Doesn't sound like it qualifies as a real drop. Maybe a soft drop. It didn't leave a crater on the floor or break or crack something. If you didn't spill blood or take up a foreign language in the process...I don't know.

What does the rest of COG think?

Sorry to hear about any drop, full or partial! Maybe this could be an offshoot club, LKDT. _pronounced "likt". Limp Kickstand Deployment Team
But back to the real issue, the tweakage. Check the main bolt down points, loosen and see if they will allow adjustment back into line. I straightened the frame/headstock on a totaled ZRX-1200 using heat, a jig, and steel bar... if it tweaked out it can be tweaked back in!

If it made his stomach churn and caused damage I’d vote for “drop.” Wayne could always just assign part of the CDA # and send him part of the sticker.

Seriously, hate to hear you damaged your bike.

Definitely made my stomach churn...any avoidable damage while on my watch sucks! It could have been a lot worse. I'm going to start by loosening the the fairing brackets and see if it can be straightened. Just not sure where to try and apply force. It's all plastic!

I'm with Ron on this. I don't remember there being a clause saying the bike must be laying on it's side. If the bike is not on a stand of some type and you are not supporting it, but instead is resting on the ground, a wall, a tree or what ever it's not suppose to be or intended. I call it a drop. Add in the damage aspect, and there's no doubt in my mind. CDA's are supposed to be a fun way of getting over what might be a traumatic episode involving your steed. Not a debate over silly semantics. Now if it's between a crash and a drop. OK, then I can see it. :)

The fairing is now tweaked (high right, low left). Anyway i can tweak it back? What usually bends the fairing mounts. I can't see any other damage.
A photo might help us to answer your question but basically I think if that aluminum bar across the front that the mirrors bolt to the ends of (part # 11055-0143?), isn't broke or cracked you should be in good shape. I think the fairing stays are steel and you may be able to bend them back perhaps needing some heat to keep them from cracking? ...or buy new ones, they'd be cheaper than the plastic that they hold.

Cross eyed Joe:(. Going to remove fairing supports and aluminum bar and see if it's bent. I know something is just can't tell yet.

Attachments

• PXL_20230330_005345184.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230330_005345184.MP.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 66
@onpman4402 considering there was full loss on control and vehicle 'landed' on the wall, damage was also incurred - this shall qualify for a CDA #.

Please see application instructions here or submit the form also found on the same page. After all details are completed you will be granted your very own CDA # you can celebrate proudly - currently there are 574 of us who have earned this title!

Stay safe, and thank you for sharing your story.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

.....you can celebrate proudly - currently there are 574 of us who have earned this title!
And many hundreds more that have celebrated silently and ashamedly and truly anonymously.....and without recognition or praise..so that others may feel, oh so very special in their dropping accomplishments. We drop in silence, and drop often, for truth, justice, and the American way.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
also....from the photo I think it might be the center bracket that the aluminum arm attaches to (upper fairing bracket) that got tweeked. My gen II shop manual doesn't mention anything about the plastic insert parts you mentioned in your other post.

Attachments

• Fairing stay.jpg
    Fairing stay.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 52
And many hundreds more that have celebrated silently and ashamedly and truly anonymously.....and without recognition or praise..so that others may feel, oh so very special in their dropping accomplishments. We drop in silence, and drop often, for truth, justice, and the American way.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
also....from the photo I think it might be the center bracket that the aluminum arm attaches to (upper fairing bracket) that got tweeked. My gen II shop manual doesn't mention anything about the plastic insert parts you mentioned in your other post.
I think everyone who drops their machine should share - we all learn from each other.

Latest is double check your pathway is clear and double check the kickstand is down before settling machine at all.

Agreed Marty I expect that aluminum frame or fasteners have released. Let us know @onpman4402.

Wayne

It's funny, I had no idea there was even a CDA # or even some sort of official recognition.....i just posted here as it was cathartic in a weird way to admit I screwed up my bike...lol. I would preferred to have never dropped it but i feel much better that I can fix it!!!!!

It's funny, I had no idea there was even a CDA # or even some sort of official recognition.....i just posted here as it was cathartic in a weird way to admit I screwed up my bike...lol. I would preferred to have never dropped it but i feel much better that I can fix it!!!!!
When you have a chance provide the needed info or fill out the form and you’ll get your official number and access to purchase CDA bling.

You will learn a little now for sure on the C-14 panels and frame work, this is not a lost opportunity - understand you wished it never happened of course. Biggest thing is YOU did not get hurt (pinned or threw your back out trying to save it).

Pssssst 😉 - while you are in the area, consider a windshield bracket replacement - look it up on the site, a member makes them and replaces the stock version with a much heavier duty version. Replaced my stock one after ~50K miles (if I recall right).

Tons of rocking and weaving on lather shield and now Blue’s windshield is sturdier than ever; especially noticeable with oncoming high profile vehicle passing.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Well I guess you could call this a partial drop of my pristine 2008 C14 with only 7k miles. Nevertheless, my pride took a shot. I was moving the bike out from between my tool box and I was on the opposite side of the kickstand. The kickstand was down but apparently there was a bag of stove pellets that swept the kickstand up when I passed by it. I went to set it on the kickstand when that oh crap moment set in when you realize you can't pull a 600 pound bike up when it's leaning. It was close enough to the wall that it didn't go down all the way but it leaned up against the mirror on the left side. I was amazed that nothing broke! I had the fairings off as i was changing fluids. The fairing is now tweaked (high right, low left). Anyway i can tweak it back? What usually bends the fairing mounts. I can't see any other damage.
@onpman4402 Thank You for sharing your experience and hope the path back to straight mounted plastics is a quick learning - please share your findings.

For this cause you have been awarded CDA # 575. If interested you can submit to purchase your unique CDA # customized CDA bling: Patch or Shirt.

Be safe, alert, and upright!

Wayne, Carol & Blue