• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

NW RIDES

neuevolution said:
I am looking for rides in the WA state that are posted for the weekends and not just annual rides.  Any out there?

Often they will show up in the Impromptu section.  There's nothing currently listed, but keep an eye on it 'cause you never know when something will get posted.  And there's no rule that says you can't be the one to list something.  All we ask is that it is disorganized enough that it can't be called an official COG function.  This usually means no published maps or turn-by-turn written route sheets.  Basically have a starting point, announce a stopping point and leave it up to the individuals to get there themselves.  They most always do that by following you when you leave, but hey, nobody said they had to. ;)  Since you are currently just a forum member it's that much easier for it not to be a COG function if you call it yourself.  I'm not trying to steer you away from joining, just pointing out something.
  Where did you want to go?

neuevolution said:
I am a new COG member

OK.  I was fooled by your status being shown as "forum" instead of a member number.  You did go the whole nine yards and pay money, right?  If so, I think it might take the system a day or two to catch up.

Try scrolling down the list and you'll find the Longest Day ride on the 18th. Volcano ride in August. Most regular annual events are on the weekend, stay or do 1 day. I hope for a few to post some day rides

Early for me @7AM and nearly two hrs to get there.
Put me down as 'MAYBE"

motovetro said:
Try scrolling down the list and you'll find the Longest Day ride on the 18th. Volcano ride in August. Most regular annual events are on the weekend, stay or do 1 day. I hope for a few to post some day rides

danodemotoman said:
Put me down as 'MAYBE"

motovetro said:

Need a wake-up call? >:D

Skip breakfast, we leave at 8. It is a long ride, so an earlier start and less traffic across the North Cascades.

Howabout dis: I get up at 4 AM and call everyone else?  :p  ;)

\
Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
danodemotoman said:
Put me down as 'MAYBE"

motovetro said:

You've got my number.  :)

danodemotoman said:
Howabout dis: I get up at 4 AM and call everyone else?  :p  ;)

\
Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
danodemotoman said:
Put me down as 'MAYBE"

motovetro said:

Well that's done. Rallyin 2 weeks, Volcano run , Ribbon.  I bet there are a lot of days open for day rides. Any ideas or volunteers? How about a great lunch recommendation or event not to be missed? Some place that would require going the long way.

Not sure where you're home base is....but the West side of Kitsap is fun....Seabeck for lunch and the Tahuya area then down Hwy 106....

Dave

Yep.
We need some more ride hosts!  :hum:

motovetro said:
Well that's done. Rallyin 2 weeks, Volcano run , Ribbon.  I bet there are a lot of days open for day rides. Any ideas or volunteers? How about a great lunch recommendation or event not to be missed? Some place that would require going the long way.

We could do a sunday breakfast run or Mt. Baker sometime. A later run to Winthrop, Loop the Hood Canal, Trout Lake when open, Chinook and Rainier(when it's free). Some kind of coastal run. Maybe combine the area for a Portland vs. Seattle lunch somewhere in the middle. How about a must see day event?

How about we make an effort to get our heads together this weekend at the Regional and put some dates in the Calender!  :motonoises:

VOLCANO RIDE AUG 13  >:D

Coundown to the Volcano Ride XIV !  This Sat, Aug 13 2011, Randle WA US hwy 12.  Mt Adams Family Restaurant.
Brekie 8:00, clutch out 9:00.
Ride map available to ride your own pace.  Paved forest roads. Time to view Mt Ste Helens again... 30 +  years after the cataclysmic blast riding up the twisty, scenic road to Windy Ridge on road 99.  Ride the Wind River hwy down the mountains to Carson and the spectacular Columbia River Gorge.  East on hwy WA 14 to Bingen for lunch approx 1 PM.
  Back up above the Gorge on the Kickitat route climbing high on WA 142.  Glenwood road along the wonderful twisty canyon route into Trout Lake where we stop for a refreshment (huckleberry shake?) at the Berry Cafe and dangle feet into cool creek water if we have a hot ride.     
Onward past Mt Adams on road 23 where it looks like close enough to touch.  Segueing onto road 90 for endless twisties.  Back to Randle on road 25 again to complete the loop where you will be ready for a straight stretch of road.  A full fun day of riding!

I 'll see you there. Any rides this weekend? Maybe a brunch this weekend. I can join the unemployed on Monday too. But have to work on tuesday.

I need to pre ride the Volcano route.
Was thinking Fri but sat/sun would work.
Anyone?
I got the Conk forks back on and seems to be working better with less stiction with a short ride today. Hopefully even better with some miles on the new bushings. (Turns out) Has the pre 99 fork brace on the bike when I bought this  '01.  :mad:  Charley has offered to help me measure and machine it to the correct dim.
Leaving for Grants Pass Mon with car towing the utility trailer with kLR.

I've been thinking about doing a backroads lunch run to Tygh Valley one day this weekend.  If someone wants to come along and is ridding a Concours, I'll buy them lunch.

Now there's a deal no real Concours rider could refuse, FREE LUNCH!  :)  Plus, my 'backroads' route will leave you dizzy.  :D

I have to mow weeds one day this weekend, so let me know.

Volcano route pre ride to check road conditions..
Yep, did it, rode it today. GREAT wx and low traffic. Again no Lewis County mounties seen.
Got a very slow start leaving Grahamcrackerville at 12:30 PM. Got back at dusk, 8:30 PM. 415 miles door to door although did not do the FR 99 Windy ridge loop.
All is well although the rough spots on the paved forest roads are still there and the two 0.1 and the 0.6 mile washouts (gravel) on FR 90 are still there. The second one has a severe rough and bumpy but all have warnings before.
I am thinking of changing the end of the route to delete the return northbound section of FR 25 back to Randle. That section from Windy Ridge FR 99 nearly to Cispus turn off is very,very rough like last year. As in frost heaves and sinks due to water erosion under the pavement.
So we would travel towards Cougar and I-5 instead.

danodemotoman said:
Anyone?
I got the Conk forks back on and seems to be working better with less stiction with a short ride today. Hopefully even better with some miles on the new bushings. (Turns out) Has the pre 99 fork brace on the bike when I bought this  '01.  :mad:  Charley has offered to help me measure and machine it to the correct dim.

danodemotoman said:
Yep, did it, rode it today. GREAT wx and low traffic. Again no Lewis County mounties seen.
Got a very slow start leaving Grahamcrackerville at 12:30 PM. Got back at dusk, 8:30 PM. 415 miles door to door although did not do the FR 99 Windy ridge loop.
All is well although the rough spots on the paved forest roads are still there and the two 0.1 and the 0.6 mile washouts (gravel) on FR 90 are still there. The second one has a severe rough and bumpy but all have warnings before.
I am thinking of changing the end of the route to delete the return northbound section of FR 25 back to Randle. That section from Windy Ridge FR 99 nearly to Cispus turn off is very,very rough like last year. As in frost heaves and sinks due to water erosion under the pavement.

I did the northern part of 25 about a month ago, and yes it was bad.  The frost heaves and sunken spots require you to stay alert.  Also, most of those spots are in shaded areas, so they are hard to spot until you are on top of them if you are going fast.

If you go slow, it would be OK, however I was on the last leg of a 500 mile day after 9 hours in the saddle (all back roads and 2 lane highways), and was pushing it pretty hard.  I didn't find out the road was closed until I drove all the way in to here 46.323935,-121.972511 (paste this in Google search, then show maps).  I had to turn around and go back to 12, then west to I5, to get back to PDX.  This made it a 11 hour day.  Yes, I was tired.

I'll still do that road, but it would probably be in the morning, on my way to Randle.  ::)  Still not sure how I would get there by 9AM though.

danodemotoman said:

danodemotoman said:
Anyone?

If we come out by Woodland, this is the way I would choose to return to my neck of the woods.
Any takers?
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Woodland,+WA&daddr=6458+Green+Mountain+Road,+Woodland,+WA+to:5726+Green+Mountain+Road,+Woodland,+WA+to:45.9610036,-122.8017475+to:Cloverdale+Rd+to:11+Meeker+Drive,+Kalama,+WA+to:4901+Old+Pacific+Highway+South,+Kelso,+WA+to:3600+Old+Pacific+Hwy+S+Carrolls+WA+to:1242+3rd+Avenue,+Longview,+WA+to:1705+Westside+Highway,+West+Side+Highway,+WA+to:WA-411+N%2FWestside+Hwy+to:46.287647,-122.917674+to:46.43088,-122.93981+to:46.449574,-122.951256+to:46.50712,-122.93411+to:46.566584,-122.917484+to:46.58354,-122.89259+to:46.5760635,-122.851347+to:46.576099,-122.791447+to:46.5791132,-122.6806152+to:46.56751,-122.31054+to:Elbe,+WA&hl=en&ll=46.821207,-122.121277&spn=0.311984,0.837021&sll=46.648022,-122.400742&sspn=0.312988,0.837021&geocode=Fa9yvAIdSROv-Cm1bxGP0kmUVDFdXFPIdqwbgw%3BFW__vAIdCQav-CnLQa9MEEaUVDGzp2-QgyORhA%3BFbAyvQId0c6u-CkVGhwGb0aUVDG0EoW6cWb15A%3BFStPvQIdrTGu-CmFFy_fKESUVDGnxA8la1HmqA%3BFWjDvQIdmemt-A%3BFVcuvgIdXX6t-CmLlSnfdkGUVDH4zPHOiqtNJg%3BFY2QvgIdpV6t-Cn1yOrHwEGUVDEFCjFfZ0rhfA%3BFeIKvwIdl0yt-CmVmVHsiGqUVDE00AEuc1vhIw%3BFSTTvwIdT1Gs-CnZbaURg2yUVDHsUc9AOf_jHg%3BFcLDwAIdSJqs-Clb8NLwwhKUVDEumGbMGr3_vg%3BFarNwQId5J6s-A%3BFR9LwgId1mys-CnNZJeDpw6UVDFPWEFf8jZlLQ%3BFaB6xAIdXhas-CnrYRcY0PmTVDGL5TC91GeXEg%3BFabDxAIdqOmr-CkH3PWF7fmTVDEV89CUqPVIgA%3BFXCkxQIdoiys-CnJmefsnvuTVDE2rPsHH-qt0g%3BFbiMxgIdlG2s-CmT4RrnLuOTVDFIj8ylOGsQQA%3BFfTOxgId0s6s-CkLveiJwOKTVDHbsCEfsF5kNA%3BFb-xxgId7W-t-CnnFubxVP2TVDGMCT9ySlnFAQ%3BFeOxxgId6Vmu-ClJHwBSvVeRVDH5T1jgvn0iJw%3BFam9xgId2Qqw-ClX7FfaOlGRVDF7GhPvjwQXZA%3BFVaQxgIddLC1-Cl3B18tJrWWVDElp0TUFNNPpw%3BFR2TyQIdx3i3-ClVNBFOKi6RVDE3GgTEcuDDZw&gl=us&mra=dpe&mrsp=20&sz=11&via=3,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20&t=h&z=11

Sounds good Charlie.  :))
You take the lead over after Cougar?  8)
Getting late in the day for those traveling far and they may decide to jump on I-5 at Woodland area.  :s_bye2:
The rest of us will travel the byways!  :08:

I can do that.  I spent enough time plugging that route into my GPS the hard way that I think I'll actually spend time figuring out how to transfer a file from my computer into the GPS.  One of these days...........

I will host a ride on the west side on Sunday August 21.The plan is to meet at Chimacum cafe at 9 am and loop the Hood Canal.Typically the favored direction is to head south through Brinnon and Hoodsport but we could also start at the bridge and head to Belfair first

danodemotoman said:
Sounds good Charlie.  :))
You take the lead over after Cougar?  8)
Getting late in the day for those traveling far and they may decide to jump on I-5 at Woodland area.  :s_bye2:
The rest of us will travel the byways!  :08:

And tonight I am bummed.  Every so often I help a guy with plant maintenance during a shut-down and changeover, and the newly released schedule is August 13th-14th.  I play a pivotal role in the process, so it's not something I can skip.  I'm gonna have to withdraw my name from the fun pool. :'(
  I will be making the Hood Canal RTE, though.

I am also scheduled to work on the volcano day.If I can make the ride it will be the first and it takes a while to get to Randle from here but I really want to give the KLR a romp on this famous ride.I find out tomorrow if I can change my work schedule

Ya, the bummer!
Sorry to not have you on the ride this year Charlie.
So I will look at the route change. I have not entered a route into my GPS sinca last year for the OBCDR and now have to go back to school! :mad:

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
And tonight I am bummed.  Every so often I help a guy with plant maintenance during a shut-down and changeover, and the newly released schedule is August 13th-14th.  I play a pivotal role in the process, so it's not something I can skip.  I'm gonna have to withdraw my name from the fun pool. :'(

I can get it out of my GPS and into my computer.  Do you want me to e-mail it to you to see if you can get the route into your unit?

danodemotoman said:
Ya, the bummer!
So I will look at the route change. I have not entered a route into my GPS sinca last year for the OBCDR and now have to go back to school! :mad:

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:

If anyone is interested, Skagit Power Sports is having a ride this Sunday. 
The Bun Burner 300.  9:00 AM Skagit Power Sports in Burlington to the barn in Winthrop.  BBQ at the barn about noon.
$15 for BBQ and tee shirt.
I'm going to Spokane over 20 tomorrow and back Sunday.  Going to try to hit the BBQ on the way back.

OK Charlie.
Should be able to get into my MapSource.

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
I can get it out of my GPS and into my computer.  Do you want me to e-mail it to you to see if you can get the route into your unit?

danodemotoman said:
Ya, the bummer!

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said: