• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

NWCOG Volcano Ride XIV Aug 13 Randle WA

danodemotoman

COG 2877
          VOLCANO RIDE AUG 13    >:D

Coundown to the Volcano Ride XIV !  This Sat, Aug 13 2011, Randle WA US hwy 12.  Mt Adams Family Restaurant.
Brekie 8:00, clutch out 9:00.
Ride map available to ride your own pace.  Paved forest roads. Time to view Mt Ste Helens again... 30 +  years after the cataclysmic blast riding up the twisty, scenic road to Windy Ridge on road 99.  Ride the Wind River hwy down the mountains to Carson and the spectacular Columbia River Gorge.  East on hwy WA 14 to Bingen for lunch approx 1 PM.
  Back up above the Gorge on the Kickitat route climbing high on WA 142.  Glenwood road along the wonderful twisty canyon route into Trout Lake where we stop for a refreshment (huckleberry shake?) at the Berry Cafe and dangle feet into cool creek water if we have a hot ride.     
Onward past Mt Adams on road 23 where it looks like close enough to touch.  Segueing onto road 90 for endless twisties.  Back to Randle on road 25 again to complete the loop where you will be ready for a straight stretch of road.  A full fun day of riding!

countdown To Volcano Ride XIV !!!!   :1rij:

Dress for warm weather unlike last two years. I will wear the mesh clothing.

Ride route change: due to the rough road on northbound FR 25 back to Randle:

return route now is from FR 99 onto Cougar and north on side roads along the east and west sides of I-5.

The group size has become smaller the last three years as not publishing event outside COGDOM. 5-10 riders typically now.

Hmm.  I thought it was last weekend.  No wonder I couldn't find anyone out there.  I did almost 500 miles running all over that country looking for a group of Concours riders, but only saw one '09 in White Salmon.  Oh well, it was still a great ride!  ;D

motovetro said:
Could do it backwards, the view is different. 23 is that bad?

23 wasn't too bad, but 25 was pretty rough in places.  If you're not trying to set a land speed record to get to Randle before 9:00am, you can dodge the bad spots a little easier. :-X

FR 23 has the same cracks and slumps as last few years. Not bad but pay attention in the corners.
FR 90 has the same three gravel surface washouts and all had warning signs prior.
First two on FR 90 are short like 100 ft. The second one had a very rough surface with ruts (last week). The third is longer, 0.6 mi, and is the same as the last few years with a rough rolling terain.
None of these are dangerous when traveled at the reduced posted speeds.
When completing the Volcano Ride in late afternoon there are numerous shaded areas making poor road surface visibility on FR 25 so that combined with the roughness and potholes made me delete that return route to Randle. First time in the 12 years I have hosted this event to have deleted this section.

C1xRider said:
motovetro said:
Could do it backwards, the view is different. 23 is that bad?

I remember following a goldwing through that section a couple of years ago.  He through sparks off his under side on several of those slumps.

I'll look for you guys in Bingen around lunch time.  There's no way I'll make Randle by 9:00am.  I tried that last weekend, and found out I really need to leave my place by 6:30am.  Since I'm still at work, that aint going to happen.

If I find you guys, I'll follow you around back through Cougar, then peel off at 502 and head south towards Battleground.

ZG, interested in a ride tomorrow?  :nananana:

Sitting here at the computer at work, no connie.  Maybe next year by this time I will be fast and smooth on Kawasaki time.

RideSlow2004 said:
Sitting here at the computer at work, no connie.  Maybe next year by this time I will be fast and smooth on Kawasaki time.

You certainly did miss out.  I thought I was going to have a leisurely ride following a bunch of old, slow guys around some country roads.  Well, they weren't slow, that's for sure. :-\  It's been awhile since I've seen a C14 chasing me in my mirrors.  It was even better knowing the guy riding it was 25 years older than me, and was still hanging with us like a teenager.  8)  What made it more impressive was his 2010 still had the stock Brickstones on it, with 6400+ miles on them!  I'm not sure which impressed me more, that, or watching Dan's C10 with the car tire on the back, set that blistering pace.  Go Dan!  Guess I should start looking for some car tires for mine.  Had I known how good they cornered, I wouldn't have wasted all that money over the years on motorcycle tires.  ;)

I only scraped a peg once, but did get a good laugh from the guy in front of me (he was on a Yamaha), once he was safe .  He pulled out a nice save after dragging his foot (his toes were pointed down below the shifter), then his center stand, then saved it just in time to avoid skimming a concrete barrier getting on a bridge, all during a hard left.  It was hilarious watching him check his boot multiple times afterward, trying to see if it was all still intact.  ;D

I'll have to keep my calendar clear for this one next year, now that I know what to expect.  Hopefully the one rider we lost out in the desert found his way back.  :-X

The year I made the ride, we lost 2 never to be heard from again.
Yes Dan does set a fast pace on that C10/nash rambler.

Don't worry about the shoe, you should see the sock!. I had inches to spare, good as a mile. I did see the exit early on and was on course, the metal lip on the bridge was an inch high. That was about 650 miles for me, tired a little today, lots of corners, plenty of bumps. Felt like Augtober in the morning, but turned out nice after a little while, not a scorcher on the east side. When are they going to fix the road in places, the small ones can be done in a day. I didn't have any gray the first time I seen them! It was fun and no awards, except the Connie mints.

Another great ride in the books!  >:D
Glad everyone enjoyed the ride and the pace.  :steeringwheel:
Not setting lap times but a sprited pace on a group ride.  :)) Safety is important but please not boring!  :32:
Yes we lost Phil along the way after lunch and before Trout Lake. He had stopped prior for pics etc and may have split off to do Windy Ridge loop viewpoint that was deleted from this years route as it was shrouded in clouds early in the ride. We stopped for 20 min at North woods for stragglers to catch up but can't do that repeatedly and still complete the long day ride. No criticism, just the facts. It was 6PM when we got to Cougar and 8:30 PM arriving home in Grahamcrackerville, WA.
A ride map/route was handed out at the beginning. That was started years ago as some want a slower pace and some split off the ride without telling anyone. So I have got to the point  'who me worry'  :hum:

Lunch In Bingen WA on the Columbia Gorge;

L to R: Dan Dave Phil Roland Bob - Rob showed up later

Sorry I missed it, but every so often I get a chance to work a weekend and earn some play money for things like Bun Coolers and Regionals.  The guy I helped out helped me put new tires on my trailer this afternoon, as well as a new rear tire on my bike, so if I get help like that plus play money, what can I say?  Who all is going to show up for the Ribbon in Oregon?

The pace was excellent Dan.  I talked myself into going with the thought that I would finally get to see some of the country side I've been riding through if it was a slow pace.  That, and if I did get too bored, I would just split off and do my own thing.  However, I can now save that excuse for another ride!

It was a nice surprise, and a little unexpected.  Given the length of your return trip, I think I would have taken 25 back, just going slow through those rough zones.  Heck, I might of even chanced the 12 miles of gravel on the 23 road in exchange for a little more riding time on some of those roads east of Glenwood.  :)

Soooo, hows about hosting a ride on the roads of your choice? Not the gravel tho. I rode that once (and last) on the Conk many years ago.

SNIP-, I think I would have taken 25 back, just going slow through those rough zones.  Heck, I might of even chanced the 12 miles of gravel on the 23 road in exchange for a little more riding time on some of those roads east of Glenwood.  :)
[/quote]

danodemotoman said:
Soooo, hows about hosting a ride on the roads of your choice? Not the gravel tho. I rode that once (and last) on the Conk many years ago.

I offered to do that a few weeks ago, even offered to buy lunch to anyone riding a Connie, but no one responded.  I guess riders around Portland are already too busy riding all the great road around here.

I have a fantastic route in mind, which would take pretty much all day, but still would be a great ride.  There's also lots of variation to that route which could accommodate riders from various areas.

I'm leaving it out there as an open offer, subject to my schedule.  I'm backlogged on tasks at home, so I have to work around that.  The next few weeks at work are going to be very busy too.

C1xRider said:
danodemotoman said:

I offered to do that a few weeks ago, even offered to buy lunch to anyone riding a Connie, but no one responded.  I guess riders around Portland are already too busy riding all the great road around here.

I have a fantastic route in mind, which would take pretty much all day, but still would be a great ride.  There's also lots of variation to that route which could accommodate riders from various areas.

I'm leaving it out there as an open offer, subject to my schedule.  I'm backlogged on tasks at home, so I have to work around that.  The next few weeks at work are going to be very busy too.

We might have to hold you to that just for spite. ;)

I ran part of the first leg of the route this morning on my way to work (took the scenic route), and they are repaving one stretch of it through two 180 10 MPH hairpins, which were starting to break up.  I would give it a week or two to make sure they stop there, and don't continue on.  The section they just did isn't finished yet, but should be really nice when they are done.

That made for a great 3 hour drive to work this morning.  ;D  Only stopped for a 3 or 4 point buck in the middle of the road, a doe that bolted up a bank, and a schizophrenic baby rabbit that couldn't decide which way it wanted to go, but was happy to keep running in front of me as long as I was waiting for it.