• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

October 15th Arkansas Ride to Jack's Fishing Resort

Fred H.

Back due to popular demand, I am going to hold a very informal COG ride back to Jacks Fishing Resort near Mountain View Arkansas on the weekend of October 15th. Some of you may remember last year when I had my 50th birthday Ride In there, and lots of folks said they want to do it again.

I'm in the process of trying to negotiate a favorable rate with the hotel, but I have already booked a couple rooms, and I'd highly suggest that if anyone wants to go, they book rooms early, as it will most likely fill up again.

I won't have any route sheets, door prizes, or formal rides. This is all intended to be very casual. We'll probably all chip in for Pizza on Sat night and have it delivered like we did last year. Friday night will be dinner at the restaurant on site.

Here is the web site and phone number for Jacks.
http://jacksresort.com/
Phone: 870-585-2211

I spoke to the owner and the rate for a normal room is $74 and a room with a kitchenette is $79. You'll need to book your room early as they expect to be full that weekend.

Just Cliff said:
My reservations are made! Now if I can just make that 1 1/2 hr. ride up there.  :)

Crap, we left at day break last year and got there just at dark thirty.

This sounds like fun....  I'd be riding solo, wonder if anyone would be interested in a room make, assuming the resort is the normal 2 beds in a room kind of place...

Bob,

But you have all that wonderful south Texas scenery to enjoy, and the wind probably never blows!  This ain't no Motel 6, but we'll leave the light on for you.    :p

Cliff

Necron99 said:
This sounds like fun....  I'd be riding solo, wonder if anyone would be interested in a room make, assuming the resort is the normal 2 beds in a room kind of place...

I can split a room if you're interested -- I was there last year and would like to go again !!

Necron99 said:

i'd have to ask the CFO to see if i can make it... sounds cool though. was looking at a map and there are tons of twisty roads that get us there in @9hrs, or the superslab is @7 hrs...

CFO said its ok. now i gotta get the days off... lookin forward to it, Necron99, i'll go in on a room with ya if they gotta a 2 bed.

Ricky and I are booked in...  she wasn't sure who all was in our group...it sounds like rooms are booking fast. 

Add 2 more to the attendance list.  SWMBO approved the trip and we are signed up at Jack's.  See Ya'll there. 

Everyone remember to register at the COG calendar entry for the event and you will be in a drawing for a nice prize to be given out at the end of the year.  It also helps us have a clue how many are coming. 

Just got my fall travel schedule finalized and am able to make this ride! Can't wait. Just called Jack's and got my room reserved as well. Gents, I hope I can tag along with those leaving from DFW area...............

Dalroo

oh HELL no.... well, ok. ;)  I think Ricky and I are talking about leaving on Thursday.  We got our room for Thursday, Friday Saturday.

I may have to wait til we get closer to see how the schedule works. If I can't leave til Friday due to work, no worries, and will ride back with y'all.

Soonerone - looking forward to it, but just a quick heads up, and I hope we can still be friends, but I bleed Cowboy orange  :) Born, raised, and edumacated in the 46th state.

That weekend on Saturday, I'll be looking for a television cuz the Cowboys play UT in Austin. Seriously, looking forward to riding with y'all...............................

Dalroo, I look forward to ridin' with y'all as well.  Orange vs orange that weekend..Hmmmmmmmmm....

I will watch that game with ya if it does not keep me from riding.  Other ways it will be recording at home.  GO LONGHORNS..... :p

Pamela and I booked rooms on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday for the ride. Can't wait for Push Mountain Road as my avatar says.

Craig

I think I did Friday, Sat, Sunday...  Just not worth it for me to go up for one day of riding.  It takes a full day of no fun to get there for us.  There was some reason I did Monday off instead of Thursday.

I'm planning a route for Ricky and I that will be fun on the way there.  We can do about 500-550 miles there and do a lot of nice routes in Arkansas through Ouichata.  It'll be a full day of riding, I'd guess we'll be in the saddle 10 hours or so, but I bet it'll be fun!  (Assuming Ricky is up for it)

sounds good. I've never spent that much time in tha saddle. as long as we can stop a few times to stretch our legs, it shouldn't be a problem.

:D  You're a tough guy....  It's pretty much the most I've been in the saddle in a day too, not by miles, but by hours I'm sure.

so how many riders from DFW are going, and who all is leaving on thursday morning? so far its me and Necron99... is anyone else planing on riding up there with us? i'll try to talk N99 to meetin up at the Cracker Barrel in Sherman on 75 and hwy 82.

I think Sharon and Greg will be riding up from DFW with Pamela and I on Thursday morning.....we'll likely blast up I 30 and I 40 to save time like we did last year.

It took about 8 hours last year including lunch. Plenty of great roads once we get there.

Craig

kv5e, looks like n99 and i are taking the back roads up there, but its probably gonna be a longer route trough the mountains.

rdm197apd said:
kv5e, looks like n99 and i are taking the back roads up there, but its probably gonna be a longer route trough the mountains.

Have fun

Craig

This is still a ways off, but I'm starting to really look forward to it. Right now, and things can always change, I am planning to leave out Thursday after work and go as far as Texarkana on the slab making Friday a more comfortable ride up through the mountains. Maybe that will make up for the lost day.

I'm getting close to having the comfort features of my bike done, so I now have 8 weeks to work on convenience farkles before making that first long ride on my c14. Can't wait!

Dalroo

I really hope I can take a break from planning the nationals and enjoy this trip.  I am feeling I am going to need it.

smithr-scad said:
I really hope I can take a break from planning the nationals and enjoy this trip.  I am feeling I am going to need it.

This is supposed to be a hobby and fun...you are taking it way too seriously in my opinion.

When more time is spent worrying about an event as opposed to idi0ts on the road and critters jumpin out......it's time to do something else!

Lighten up and quit trying to impress the minions! :))

Craig

Oh I am not trying to impress anyone that is for sure.  I am however trying to provide what the membership asked for and that is a Nationals in our area.  Those things don't just magically appear.

smithr-scad said:
Oh I am not trying to impress anyone that is for sure.  I am however trying to provide what the membership asked for and that is a Nationals in our area.  Those things don't just magically appear.

We'll pull the 2012 National off with aplomb and let's have fun doing it.  :beerchug:

Besides you can rub elbows and we can get some planning done there at Jack's with the folks who are going to be there.

I think you are sandbaggin' so you can go to a damn UT  f00tball game instead of riding!!!!!!!! :D

That's the week after TX/OU so NO EXCUSES! :rotflmao:

See you at Jack's Bob!

Craig

Dude...seriously...this weekend is all about making sure we know some good roads!  :)  Every mile is "research"!

Necron99 said:
Dude...seriously...this weekend is all about making sure we know some good roads!  :)  Every mile is "research"!

I left a lot of rubber on the quite a few last year in this area!!! Great area to ride and hen spend some time brainstorming for the NATS.

Man i cant wait! Its gonna be awesome! I've always been timid in the twisties, and this is a perfect time to train and get better!  :motonoises:

My girlfriend and I would love to make this trip but we wouldn't be able to make it down until Friday night.  Are ya'll riding Saturday?  Are there going to be a few people riding two up?

Man, I'd love to pull the boat up there with the turbo to do some fishing.  I wonder if I could get a sub to fill in fer me?  >:D

BTW, I wrote a new map fer the EFI on the Turbo today.  She's a little fat, but when the fat lady sings... it's all over.  The surge is gone and she's hittin' the high notes with aplomb.  Look out Ted, the Turbo's got yer number.

RIDINGSLOW said:
My girlfriend and I would love to make this trip but we wouldn't be able to make it down until Friday night.  Are ya'll riding Saturday?  Are there going to be a few people riding two up?
Adam,
This is a social event more then anything.  Come as you are and plan your own riding.  There will be plenty of two up bikes but I can not promise that you will have someone to ride with.  If you are there early enough on Saturday you might be able to hook up, other wise you will just see  us all over the roads Saturday.  Saturday night we will just be hanging out at the resort, maybe behind the building where the pavilion is.

PS:  Many will be there Friday night also.  I bet some riding will be Friday, Sat and Sun.  Better find a room though if your staying.  It is booking up in the area.

I'm coming down riding two up with GF and son on his bike.  We will the there sometime Friday later in the day.  We will be taking the long way getting there and enjoying some of Ozarks on the way. 

I will be riding sat. & sunday 2 up. The other motels in town are Best Western, Days Inn, Red Bud Inn & Mt. View Inn. The other 1 or 2 I don't know the names of, guess I'd should have looked when I rode thru there yesterday! :)
Cliff

If anyone has a room reserved at Jack's and is not going to use it, I would like to have it. Just pm me from this board please.

We are booked at the resort but can't make it down until Friday night.  I rode up to Mt. View this past spring and if I remember right it was a dry county........correct? 

RIDINGSLOW,
Yes it is a dry county, but there is a liquor right around the corner (sorta of) about 15 miles west on 14 at Big Flat just across county line!  :beerchug:
Cliff

Was fishing two miles offshore in ten foot seas in my kayak yesterday.  Caught three of these this size and a number of small sharks.
2566972700080494746S600x600Q85.jpg

I may have to stay home and fish that weekend. ;)

Yep...it's time for the Bull Reds to start running  on the coast......heat up the peanut oil and mount the head on the Turbo!!!!!!!!! :D

Better yet stick a short cigar in the fish head's mouth mounted on the Turbo! :rotflmao:

greenman sho loves dem fish...hmmm hmmm

I hate ceegars, that's why Ted always makes me bring em to the Half-Cow in the Spring. 

Yeah Bob, fish DO stink... but not as bad as chickens.  ANd riding is good.  Still don't know if I can twist off and what it would do to the "good will" I have built up around here, but I'll find out probably on THursday when we have a meeting.

Is anyone actually gonna fish at Jack's or is the plan all riding.  I'm good either way, just curious how to pack.  >:D

They pulled in a bunch of trout and cooked them that evening.......there's boat rental there.

Better bring your tackle in case the Turb0 dies!!!!!!!! :D

Craig

Loren said:
I'm coming down riding two up with GF and son on his bike.  We will the there sometime Friday later in the day.  We will be taking the long way getting there and enjoying some of Ozarks on the way.

hey, just saw this... looking forward to meeting you, Loren!  I love my Baldwin seat.

Well, going to Jack's just got trumped.  My sister called and there is going to be a family reunion for mom's 80th birthday... so it looks like the Turbo and I will to be going to Amarillo rather than Arkansas unless I decide to fly by plane instead of flying by Kaw. Decisions, decisions.  Gas money.... air fare... that's about a wash. Hmmm!

Yall have fun and have some trout for me.  I'll be traveling to the land of zero twisties in 311 miles.  But I don;t get up to see family often enough already so it's all good.  Yall be safe.

Rev Ryder said:
Well, going to Jack's just got trumped.  My sister called and there is going to be a family reunion for mom's 80th birthday... so it looks like the Turbo and I will to be going to Amarillo rather than Arkansas unless I decide to fly by plane instead of flying by Kaw. Decisions, decisions.  Gas money.... air fare... that's about a wash. Hmmm!

Yall have fun and have some trout for me.  I'll be traveling to the land of zero twisties in 311 miles.  But I don;t get up to see family often enough already so it's all good.  Yall be safe.

Well.....we'll miss you at Jack's but family comes first...or at least it should.

greenman

I am just going to miss you guys. I will be in Vegas from the 15-18 then up in NW Arkansas the 18-23.. bummer.. You all ride safe

Just Cliff said:
RIDINGSLOW,
Yes it is a dry county, but there is a liquor right around the corner (sorta of) about 15 miles west on 14 at Big Flat just across county line!  :beerchug:
Cliff

Not to worry, next county over is wet and it's only 20 miles west, just don't let Fred tell you otherwise !!

Less than two weeks!

Is there anyone else from the DFW area interested in leaving Thursday after lunch time? I am flexible exactly when to hit the road after about noon. I am thinking of riding to Texarkana, or maybe even southeastern Oklahoma that afternoon, and making Friday's ride more enjoyable - and less direct (re: curvy). If interested, let me know. I don't mind splitting a room, and also have an extra bed at Jack's if you don't mind cohabitating with a stranger. Of course, Concours riding Victoria's Secret models will have to be approved by my lovely wife :-\

Email me at dalroo@hotmail.com.

Pamela and I are leaving Thursday morning (~0800) from near I-635 and I-30. We plan to blast up on Thursday on the dual carriageways and then ride Push Mountain Road at least six times on Friday morning! ;D

Anyone fom DFW is welcome to ride up with us.

I'll be deploying the Spot Tracker for virtual riders and I'll post the link before departure.

Craig

I could possibly meet up with you guys Thursday. I have the week off, and I was thinking of doing the Talimena Trail on Thursday.PM me for us to set it up. ( I am in LA-lower Arkansas)

Ricky and I are leaving early on Thursday and heading up there, we have our room booked Thursday - Saturday night at Jack's.  We're going to do Talamina on the way as neither of us have.

Necron99 said:
Ricky and I are leaving early on Thursday and heading up there, we have our room booked Thursday - Saturday night at Jack's.  We're going to do Talamina on the way as neither of us have.

If you would like to meet up somewhere in western Arkansas, let me know and I will plan my trip to catch up to you. I want to do Tallimena on the c14- I have only been on it in a cage. Thursday would be fine by me, but my room at Jack's is for Friday-Saturday. I might be able to get Thursday too though.

Let us know!  My Russell Day Long saddle showed up today, I think I'll use this trip to break it in...

911ZG guy said:
Necron99 said:

If you would like to meet up somewhere in western Arkansas, let me know and I will plan my trip to catch up to you. I want to do Tallimena on the c14- I have only been on it in a cage. Thursday would be fine by me, but my room at Jack's is for Friday-Saturday. I might be able to get Thursday too though.

Talimena will have lots of riders in the late morning and afternoon. I've roared through it early without much traffic and it's a great road, particularly the OK side. Watch for double yellow line crossers and in particular cruisers.

I saw three motorcycle accidents one afternoon and they were all apparently cruisers who crossed the line :-\ or braked so hard in a turn that they fell over across the line. :rotflmao:

Critters are also a problem although it will be warm and the deer may not be in full rut yet.

See you all at Jack's and maybe dinner there at the restaurant Thursday night.

Craig

Well what do you expect?  Those guys are probably geriatric by now, probably all hip replacements and stuff... of course they fall over.

1229548686735_4_EddieAndTheCruisers_mif_147_106.jpg

oh yeah!!! im getting excited!!! a few more days and ill be chillin on the back roads and twisties... dont have many of them @DFW...  :motonoises: at least none that i have found yet :-[

911ZG guy said:
Necron99 said:
Let us know!  My Russell Day Long saddle showed up today, I think I'll use this trip to break it in...

8)

You got mail

Hey Necron99-Are you (or, anyone else) receiving me ??  When and where do I meet up with you TX guys?

Steve,

Ricky and I are meeting in Sherman TX on Thursday a.m. at about 9 ish and heading up to OK and over.  i'd guess we'll be in the Mena area around 1 or 2.  Thoughts?

;D

That will suit me fine- I can adjust my plans and meet you in OK and ride Talimena Trail west-to-east with you guys.

If you pm me here with a mobile #

, I can call you from western AR on Thursday.

I don't know Talahina OK, but that would seem to be a logical place to meet up.

Weather looks great with high pressure filling in after Wednesday's rain and frontal passage.

High 40's in the morning with low 70's in the afternoon and Sunny Skies!

NO severe weather threat this year, unlike last year. ;D

Craig

I'll probably be heading out sometime Thursday afternoon and spending the night in Broken Bow or maybe Mena.

See y'all up there, ride like your life depends on it.

Prep... pack, put gas in bike.
Plan...locate Arkansas, point bike thattaway....

:rotflmao:

I'm helping, I'm helping!

Yes,
The weather is turning out pretty good. I am already up here in the southern tier. Houston to Mena yesterday (lots of cross winds). Had a little rain when I woke, but did a nice little circuit today (only 220 miles) with spotty showers, but it looks favorable for the remainder of my 10 day ride.

By the way, it was really sad to see so many entire forest areas looking like a bronze picture coming up from Houston yesterday. There are some places in the Ouachita forest (Mena area) with decent foliage starting, especially in stream valleys, and the sign in front of the ranger station does not say EXTREME FIRE DANGER, like it does all over Texas. I need to ride up a little north to see if it is better.

How many are actually arriving in Mountain View on Thursday?  Just Cliff and I will be out in the hills on Thursday, so let us know so we can meet up somewhere. The lucky guy actually rides these roads every weekend! Considering arriving Thursday at Jacks, but only booked Fri & Sat. Would really like to lighten the load on the bike to get a full 2 days in that area. Just don't want to spend $$ at Jacks. She feels like a whale (brought too much stuff anticipating rain & cold), and need to twist a bit more than usual to climb the hills, and add 3 extra clicks on the rear to make her handle only average.  Oh, maybe if I could instantly loose 100 lbs, that might help.

Any recommendations for area motels between Eureka Spings and Mt. View?  My plan (Robert... Just get up here and don't worry about planning) is to wing-it. Where ever I stop is best, but not the roach motels. I have HI & BW hotel points, but that's a waste in Harrison only north of the range.

I also may be able to split a room at Jacks since my buddy from Houston bailed out AGAIN.  Need to call Jacks to see what the room is (single or double), and IIRC she said it was the back side of the first building.  Drop me a PM.
I should have told her I was Fred Harmon, then it would be the presidential suite :) 

Ya'll ride safe!

c14addict said:
I should have told her I was Fred Harmon, then it would be the presidential suite :) 

Sorry, I got dibs on that one already. They already have assigned me a butler and they are supposed to be flying in a special chef for me.

If anyone is on the fence and decides at the last minute they want to go, I have a bed for rent. Be forewarned though, I snore.

Well another room is available at Jack's. Due to my emplyor thinking I am need at the controls.
So we are going to miss you guys. But we plan to be there the 19th thru 23rd Oct

Attachments

• IMG_0933.JPG
    IMG_0933.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 103
See everyone on Fri afternoon sometime.  Trying to find another way over from NE OK(that I haven't been before). Maybe southern route in MO, then down..Anyway, see ya Fri.

yup, i cant wait!!! had a LONG day today at swat training, and im a little sore, but some throttle therapy will go far!  :motonoises: see ya'll up there... N99 and are meeting up in sherman, and i think someone esle is meeting us too. now, if i can only get to sleep...

We are headed out early in the morning.  Will be taking the long way there, so it will be evening before we arrive.  Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Fred, I may see you on the road in the morn. I made it to beavers bend this afternoon and plan to leave out around 9 in the am heading to talahina and then mena. Hope we connect.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
kv5e said:

Wow! You really rode I-30 all the way up there!  I couldn't bear to do that. Spending the night in Broken Bow, going to ride the Talimena trail in the morning, then on to Rivertowne BBQ in Ozark for lunch, followed by the Pig Trail, 74, 123, and 16 after lunch. I'll see you at Jacks tomorrow afternoon.

It is really not that bad if you want two days up here. We might head over toward Heber Springs today.

For breakfast head over to Fifty Six and eat at Cody's.
They had Chocolate Gravy and Homemade Strawberry preserves when we were there last year ;D