• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

October 15th Arkansas Ride to Jack's Fishing Resort

Great riding with all of you!

Glad to be home with the family after a long day today, but it was a great weekend. The weather could not have been better. The roads were great. The bikes were great. The people were great. And more.

I ended up just a shade over 1200 miles over the weekend, and finished off my front tire, so I guess PR3s are in my near future. N99 and RDM (+Soonerone for the first hour) thanks for the ride today. It was long, but it would have really stunk if I was riding it alone.

Next time people!

Fantastic riding and a big thanks to Fred and Diana for hosting the ride this year. This looks like a annual event now and after the broiler summer heat it was welcome relief! 8)

Enjoyed seeing everyone and the fantastic roads of N AR.

Craig and Ted's Excellent Big Bend Adventure in March will be planned soon so we'll consult Fred for the date as his weather advisor exceeds any I have every known.

Hope everyone made it home safe.

Craig and Pamela

It's not over yet!
Thanks to Butch for suggesting Riders Rest in Eureka Springs. Base camp here till tuesday (or Wednesday). Sorry to say I am standing on an overlook on hwy 16, crickets chirping, bees buzzing, sun shining. Reality check tomorrow with cold coming. Just don't want to head home yet :)

Just got home. Had a great trip, despite the broken down Triumph. I got the new bike up Push Mountain road Sunday morning, and it now has over 2,500 miles on it, so it's officially "broken in".

Thanks everybody for a great event. We'll try to do it again next year.

I didn't take a lot of photos this year, but I did manage to get a nice one up on Talimena trail today.

large.jpg

Happy birthday Fred.  Glad yall had a hoot.  BTW, that new C-14 or yours looks kinda wierd.  ;)

I really enjoyed meeting some great new people, good weather & good riding. Had a great time! Ya'll look me up any time you're up here & I'll ride with you.  :beerchug:

Cliff

It's with great sadness that yes, it is now officially over.  :'( 

Made it home this afternoon, safe and sound with 2570 miles on the Connie. Not as much as last year, but still did a bunch of new roads.
I just wish all of you could take more than a long weekend to enjoy a leisurely 11 day trip like I did, again. I had to use up the vacation time or loose it. Still had to do some work work on the road, but it did not break my concentration. I would have stayed another day, but the temps dropped to low 40's and the strong north wind even made my travel south blistery.

My hats off to Cliff and Jimie Burnette (Just Cliff) for their warm hospitality last week. I learned a bunch by riding with Cliff. He is so effortless and smooth on the bike, while the rest of us are trying too hard slowing down to attack a curve. He appears to never brake, and stays rock steady on the left tire grove of the lane, never changing regardless of curve direction. Could be that Cliff lives in the Greenbrier area, and is within a couple hours of all the northern Arkansas roads that he knows them too well. Look him up when in the area, I sure will again.

And to Butch, who recommended Riders Rest in Eureka Springs. The place is small (10 rooms), but very clean, has wireless, and at $45/night for a single, a relative bargain. I would stay there anytime. The owners, Ann & Bob are some real fine folks. They close up and head to Florida Nov 1, but open back up in April. 

Loren, that ferry ride looks awsome! Did that years ago at Lake Champlain in Vermont. That's a great way to get Patrick hooked on Road Trips.

Craig, you asked if the Best Western of the Ozarks had any place for a bonfire for the 2012 National... Sorry to say NO. 

Fred, you get any peg or pipe scrapes on the blue beast during the Push Mountain ride?
Any news on your friend with the Triumph?  It was a shame there was bike trouble of any kind.  Just glad everyone on this trip ended up safe.

Looking forward to Jack's 2012, and planning to come to National 2012, if not sooner  :))
It's the darn commute from Houston that makes me consider a trailer.

Ride safe!
Don

c14addict said:
Fred, you get any peg or pipe scrapes on the blue beast during the Push Mountain ride?
Any news on your friend with the Triumph?  It was a shame there was bike trouble of any kind.  Just glad everyone on this trip ended up safe.

The 2012 still is relatively virgin with the only scrape marks on the bottom of the pegs, and I hope to keep it that way for a while.

Vern called tonight, and he identified the cause of the problem on his Triumph. As we suspected, it was the crankshaft pickup sensor. He hooked up an ohm meter to it, and it measures fine, but as soon as he heats it up a little with a heat gun, it opens up, and that explains why the bike would run a few miles and then quit and then work again after it cooled off a bit.

Well, I guess that is good- but what a shame to have a malfunction cut short his ride on such a beautiful Arkansas Autumn weekend. Oh well, I guess that just means that Vern will need to do it all over again next October!!

The weather was absolutely perfect (except for Wednesday). I really, really enjoyed myself, and getting to know some more of Cogdom's finest folks. Thanks Fred for putting this ride together. I hope to see everyone again next year.

Dalroo said:
Are your referring to Necron, SoonerOne, or Just Cliff? :))
Or ya coulda just asked if he meant the one with hair or one of the other guys.    Oooops!  :-X

It would be unusual for us to have firm dates this early for any of our area events.  The only person that might be willing to set this date is Fred the host from last two years.

And since Fred's Birthday is the impetus for this ride/fishing/kickin' back fest he MIGHT have an idea about it.... or not.  I'd sure like to make it this go round too. 

Bikejunkie59 said:
What is the date for the 2012 Arkansas Ride to Jack's???
Need vacation picks already!!

That's a ways off and with the National in Arkansas next year, I'm not even sure if we will all feel like going back there again so soon. But if I were to look into my crystal ball, I'd say that it will either be the weekend of October 13-14, or maybe the 27-28th.