• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ohio Meet and Greet, Lunch, and Ride?

ConcoursKZ

Sport Tourer
Ok fellow North Central Coggers. Lets set up a day to get together for lunch or something. There are tons of places to meet in the state. Dover/ Tappan Lake/ Hocking Hills/ Waldo/ Marietta/ all these places have pretty good roads to ride. Suggest some dates and lets get something set up.

Way to go Tim.... now you're talkin'!  :great:

I'll throw out this suggestion:
    Charm Family Restaurant
    4450 OH-557
    Charm, OH 44617

nuthin' fancy, just great home cookin' in the heart of Amish country!!!

Stop by The Station carry-out on Rt 7 between Marietta and Belpre and tell them "hi" for me!  it was an interesting area to grow up.  :))

DeansZG said:
  Way to go Tim.... now you're talkin'!  :great:

I'll throw out this suggestion:
    Charm Family Restaurant
    4450 OH-557
    Charm, OH 44617

nuthin' fancy, just great home cookin' in the heart of Amish country!!!

That sounds great and I know there are some good routes around there. Now lets pick a date and get some confirmations from some of the COG Members willing to commit.

At this point we have 41 views to this thread? Suggest some dates!

Sounds great! I personally am booked every Saturday from now through 8/16 when I return from NC.
Hopefully (being the Buckeye fan I am) avoid 9/3 (noon OSU game) & 9/10 (3:30 game), 10/1 (noon game), but hey it's not about me, I'll try to live with whatever works for majority, just throwing my 2 cents in.  :great:
Glad to see activity in Ohio.

ConcoursKZ said:
Come on Ohio doesn't anybody want to get together for a ride?

seems odd. Laurie and I rode over to Troy on Sunday. Had it not started raining and got stupid we would have hollered at ya as we headed off to Delaware and New Albany. Miss riding Ohio byways...but my son took a coaching spot in Athens so I see trips in the future...we will ring you up.

I would be down for a hocking hills ride. I have a friend that has a connie that i could convince to ride along and am in the process of convincing another friend to buy one.

Wish I had time to get up there to see you.  Denise hasn't seen my "home" yet.  boy will she be shocked.  Long Island girl meets Belpre Ohio!  :D :D :D

I would be interested in this. Ill be gone the weekends of 7/29 and 8/19. I'm more interested in riding than eating, but a longish lunch is fine, along with some good riding before and after.

Sorry for not chiming in, its been a rough year... id love to do something like this, but I have to refrain from getting too involved in placement and logistics, for fear of not being able to participate in the outcome of it...
Basically I'm freaking broke, not just low on funds, totally broke...
So day to day expenses have.me trying to pry enough money from the couch cushions to buy a couple gallons of gas, just to excercise the bike...

Id be happy to send ya some nice routes, but I can't promise I can make the rides... kind of a bummer, but things have to get better sooner or later..
Best I could do right now is guide a tour around Cleveland... 
:mad: :'( :'( :mad:

another suggestion that would have beaucoup seating is:
Der Dutchman Restaurant 4967 Walnut Street, Box 158, Walnut Creek, OH 44687

also, if I can make it down there if/when it happens,(excessive work schedule/currently probationary employee) I'd be willing to donate some $$$ for M.O.B.'s meal as payback for sharing your knowledge to the forum! ;D

Der Dutchman sounds great. Now lets pick a day. They are closed on Sundays. I am pretty much available any Saturday. So lets pick one and get a route. Breakfast or Lunch?

DeansZG said:
  another suggestion that would have beaucoup seating is:
Der Dutchman Restaurant 4967 Walnut Street, Box 158, Walnut Creek, OH 44687

also, if I can make it down there if/when it happens,(excessive work schedule/currently probationary employee) I'd be willing to donate some $$$ for M.O.B.'s meal as payback for sharing your knowledge to the forum! ;D

You're wayyy to kind my friend,  :great:
Its all logistics, and motivation, oh and getting permission from SWMBO... jokingly said...
She tells me to do whatever I want, as.long as its free...... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Ooooooo they have rocking chairs on the porch for us old farts.... :great:

ConcoursKZ said:
30Der Dutchman sounds great. Now lets pick a day. They are closed on Sundays. I am pretty much available any Saturday. So lets pick one and get a route. Breakfast or Lunch?

Since Laurie works Saturdays I am fine with that. Long day but mmmmmm......thatts what ST's are for. Out of town on biz the 23rd, 30th and Aug `13

I'm up for it, pick a day, I don't want everyone to conform to my strange schedule, but whatever day it is, its a 66.6% chance I'll be there.

Not sure when they open, they seem to me to be a lunch/dinner type of place to me. Bear in mind, Saturday in August will mean lots of tourists bussed in for the noon lunch hour. I get off work at 0700, so I'm free that day, any time is good for me.

ConcoursKZ said:
August 6th what time?

If that is the date I will head over to Athens on Friday and ride from there on Saturday. Where are all the Ohio riders on this thread? Seems like the locals would be down for a ride and lunch.  Of course the tO$U alumnae up top gets a pass. Really where are the Ohio riders?

As stated earlier, I'll still be on the probationary period w/ my new employer, so unless they cancel the saturday workload, I'll have to miss this.. :(

As far as the Buckeye riding group goes, don't know what to say Tom :-X    Maybe the lack of participation from the group is a part of the reason that Bill Hookman passed along the AAD baton.  It does get a bit frustrating disheartening to set up a ride to eat & not have the participation... :character0029:

Tim, you might want to cross-post this on the ZG/GTR forum & the various COG related social media blogs.

My toilet of a concours needs more work than I have time to put in it at the moment, but if you folks won't be offended by my Nighthawk, I'm down for the 6th.

MOB, I'll spot you some gas money if that'll help convince the Mrs.

Cheers,
Joe

DasPirate said:
My toilet of a concours needs more work than I have time to put in it at the moment, but if you folks won't be offended by my Nighthawk, I'm down for the 6th.

Cheers,
Joe

Bring the Night Hawk for sure! Lowest COG# gets a free lunch!

DeansZG said:
  As stated earlier, I'll still be on the probationary period w/ my new employer, so unless they cancel the saturday workload, I'll have to miss this.. :(

As far as the Buckeye riding group goes, don't know what to say Tom :-X    Maybe the lack of participation from the group is a part of the reason that Bill Hookman passed along the AAD baton.  It does get a bit frustrating disheartening to set up a ride to eat & not have the participation... :character0029:

Tim, you might want to cross-post this on the ZG/GTR forum & the various COG related social media blogs.

Let's see, I haven't been on this site in months, maybe not even this year and I come by to see what's going on and I see Dean is talking about me.  Yep, you're right Dean, part of me giving up the AAD was lack of participation.  (There were other factors, too, as it was around the time that the club had some major in-fighting going on).

Anyway, I may show up at this little shindig.

ConcoursKZ said:
DasPirate said:

Cheers,
Joe

Bring the Night Hawk for sure! Lowest COG# gets a free lunch!
penciled in on fridge calendar...  now i have to eat before David and Dean show up... :rotflmao:
:campfire: :103:

I'll be there, its a little less than an 1 1/2 hours from Cleveland though, unless you are going 40mph, or you are starting from the Terminal Tower ;D  I'm coming from downtown North Olmsted after getting off work.

KWBOY said:
ConcoursKZ said:
http://www.dhgroup.com/restaurants/der-dutchman-walnut-creek-oh

August 6th, 9am. Its about two hours from Columbus, 1 1/2 hour from Cleveland, 2 hours to Pittsburgh, and Cincy is about 3:45. Is everyone in agreement with the time and who is confirmed?

Let me get this straight, meet at DerDutchman in Walnut Creek at 9am for lunch??? What's the itinerary for the day?

Have some breakfast then go on a ride in the area. I am sure someone could plan a route that is from the area. Plenty of good riding in the area.

Strawboss said:
I'll be there, its a little less than an 1 1/2 hours from Cleveland though, unless you are going 40mph, or you are starting from the Terminal Tower ;D  I'm coming from downtown North Olmsted after getting off work.

Shoot me a p/ m about your planned route, and time of departure and maybe I'll spin west to run down with ya, instead of my normal N/S slab route thru akron...
I hate that road... boring, and poor pavement...

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Of course, you know me saying this is gonna change the weather for that day... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana:

ConcoursKZ said:
http://www.dhgroup.com/restaurants/der-dutchman-walnut-creek-oh

August 6th, 9am. Its about two hours from Columbus, 1 1/2 hour from Cleveland, 2 hours to Pittsburgh, and Cincy is about 3:45. Is everyone in agreement with the time and who is confirmed?

Looks like a lonnnng day seeing at I have to actually wake up and travel in the morn.... whatta concept...  :rotflmao:
Look forward to it, would be fun. At least I can run down the corridor at high speed, with no traffic.... seeing as its a weekend...

Still working on that one. Muncie, IN  to Der Dutchmen or to Athens Friday and up to there on Sat AM. I am a qualified tentative

Just a heads up for you guys...

555 is a fun road, but use extreme caution if running it...
2 people died this past week in seperate bike crashes there... attributed to running faster than they could see around curves/corners... this route has lots of "blind" driveways and spots in curves... never run faster there than you can see clearly, to stop.....
Not being a nanny, just relating to preclude incidents.

Those of you riding to and from the Columbus area, take note that the Pelotonia bicycle ride is this weekend and there will be a bunch bicyclists on the roads around Columbus and between New Albany and Gambier.

Who wants to meet either in Sunbury or 36/37 & I-71 to depart by/before 7am? It's about 2 hours ride only time from there and stopping for a brief pit stop halfway would make it a little more enjoyable to my tush, so say 6:45? That gets there at 9am barring any unforeseen circumstances.

Looks like we will have a pretty good breakfast.
KWBOY
freebird6
MAN OF BLUES
Strawboss
DasPirate
Bill Hookman
matt
Randy Z
ConcoursKZ
bam2169

KWBOY said:
Who wants to meet either in Sunbury or 36/37 & I-71 to depart by/before 7am? It's about 2 hours ride only time from there and stopping for a brief pit stop halfway would make it a little more enjoyable to my tush, so say 6:45? That gets there at 9am barring any unforeseen circumstances.

I can meet you in Sunbury. Name the place.

MAN OF BLUES said:
Strawboss said:

Shoot me a p/ m about your planned route, and time of departure and maybe I'll spin west to run down with ya, instead of my normal N/S slab route thru akron...
I hate that road... boring, and poor pavement...

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Of course, you know me saying this is gonna change the weather for that day... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana:

I'll be coming from near Independence myself if you two don't mind me tagging along.

Shoot me a p/m with your cell # Joe,
I'll give ya a buzz Friday when I know for sure if I'm gonna do a freeway blast from the east, or down the middle...
Or if SWMBO puts the kabosh on my plans at the last minute... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

ConcoursKZ said:
KWBOY said:

Kroger fuel station, and their fuel price yesterday was pretty good. I'll fill it up there and park in that area, hopefully in the shade. This is on 36/37 and Rt 3 shopping center. Fuel station is right off 36/37.

KWBOY said:
ConcoursKZ said:
KWBOY said:

Kroger fuel station, and their fuel price yesterday was pretty good. I'll fill it up there and park in that area, hopefully in the shade. This is on 36/37 and Rt 3 shopping center. Fuel station is right off 36/37.

What is your planned route?  I live off of SR 3C about 5 miles south of 36/37 and was planning to hit some of the back roads out of Mt. Vernon (36 to 715, back to 36, to 60,  to 62, to 39).  Google maps shows that should take 2 hrs., 20 minutes.  Leaving at 6:45 would make us late, but I'm thinking I would do it in less than 2:20.

Bill Hookman said:
KWBOY said:
ConcoursKZ said:
KWBOY said:

What is your planned route?  I live off of SR 3C about 5 miles south of 36/37 and was planning to hit some of the back roads out of Mt. Vernon (36 to 715, back to 36, to 60,  to 62, to 39).  Google maps shows that should take 2 hrs., 20 minutes.  Leaving at 6:45 would make us late, but I'm thinking I would do it in less than 2:20.

I adjusted my Tyre route accordingly and it says 2:08, so close enough. I was going a slightly more direct (but no interstate) route but this looks as good to me. One suggestion might be to avoid Millersburg taking 83 - 407 - 367 - 39, but at that time of day perhaps it's not the mess of tourists that I've found it to be mid-day (and I don't guarantee those roads don't have some gravel:) ). I imagine we'd hit it Millersburg around 8:30 so perhaps not as much traffic then. I'll follow your lead and try to keep up.  ;D
With that in mind, what time do you want KSU at Kroger?

PS Now that TomTom Rider got ahold of it, it shows 2:29 time . . . . I can't make sense why it's different but it always seems to change from Tyre, even going the same route.

KWBOY said:
Bill Hookman said:
KWBOY said:
ConcoursKZ said:
KWBOY said:

I adjusted my Tyre route accordingly and it says 2:08, so close enough. I was going a slightly more direct (but no interstate) route but this looks as good to me. One suggestion might be to avoid Millersburg taking 83 - 407 - 367 - 39, but at that time of day perhaps it's not the mess of tourists that I've found it to be mid-day (and I don't guarantee those roads don't have some gravel:) ). I imagine we'd hit it Millersburg around 8:30 so perhaps not as much traffic then. I'll follow your lead and try to keep up.  ;D
With that in mind, what time do you want KSU at Kroger?

PS Now that TomTom Rider got ahold of it, it shows 2:29 time . . . . I can't make sense why it's different but it always seems to change from Tyre, even going the same route.

HAHA. I was eyeballing 83-407-367, too. 367 is old, worn-in, but solid chip and seal according to Google Earth's Street View pictures from Sep. 2015.  Google Maps is showing 2:07 from the Kroger.  I was going to say the same thing about me keeping up with you.  I don't think Millersburg will be a big deal at that time, but Berlin may be.  I think 6:45 at the Kroger gas station is good, unless Tim thinks that's cutting it too close.

Rt.39 thru Berlin BEFORE 9:00 am. is pretty good....  IIRC, stores open at 9.... Thankfully, more of the blu-hairs are taking the bus nowadays....

If you have stop-n-go approaching Berlin, take Rt557 right (south) to Charm, making a left turn(east) onto C.R.70.  Keep heading straight onto C.R.114 & take that back to Rt.39.  Cross 39 & continue about 1/2 block to C.R.145, making a left turn, you'll be about 1/2 mile directly south of the restaurant from there......

I'm not going to make it, as I posted earlier, I'll be at the shop on saturday again, due to my probationary status, which is up the 23rd of this month....

Enjoy breakfast & be sure to post up some pictures! :)

Just saw this post. I'm in.

Haven't seen any suggested routes for the ride after breakfast.

Is there a plan?

Brent

bam2169 said:
Just saw this post. I'm in.

Haven't seen any suggested routes for the ride after breakfast.

Is there a plan?

Brent

I've got a route in mind for the ride back to Columbus which includes a lunch stop at US 62 BBQ in Johnstown, but it has lunch being about 2.5 hours after breakfast, so I am up for killing some time if you have something in mind.

Which way do we want to go?? How long?

the routes I know/like from that area are to the South and East. Not opposed to going West its just out of my riding area and don't know it except Rt 62.

I like Rt 93 going south from Rt 250 all the way to Zainsville. take us about 1.5 hrs

Rt 93 to Rt 516 heading back east toward Dover cutting across back roads to catch Rt 212,  Rt 542 and Rt 39 that runs long Atwood Lake is one of my favorite rides around the Dover area.  take us about 1.5 hrs to reach Carrollton.

From there we can part ways or we can extend the ride if guys are still interested. I've set all day aside for riding so I'm in for the long haul.

brent

Can't fit my time frames. Was going to head down to Athens tonite and get up early to make it up 93 through Logan but not gonna make it.Son is back in school and football started with first scrimmage this evening.  Have a good breakfast and a great ride. BBQ on 62 is well worth making room. Straight south on 60 to Mcconnelsville gets you into some pretty good riding. Enjoy the day. I'll be there on one of those OHIO days. Since the wife left southeast ohio and  moved over here I am missing our weekends cutting up Hocking Hills.

Forgot to mention about the Winesburg Meat Mkt about 5 miles north of there on Rt62 in case your looking for some good fresh jerky & beef sticks to stash in your tank bag to snack on.  Take Rt515 from the parking lot & head north to 62, then right for another mile.

I had a great time today. Next time I will look at the address so I get to the correct restaurant and on time. 

Randy

Has a great time riding with all of you. Excellent choice meeting at Der Dutchman. I guess 10 showed up. Roads were in great shape. We are spoiled in Ohio with some great areas to ride in. Lets do it again soon.
Thanks Tim

It was great to meet every one of you and ride a new road today as well! Let's do it again!  :)

ConcoursKZ said:
Has a great time riding with all of you. Excellent choice meeting at Der Dutchman. I guess 10 showed up. Roads were in great shape. We are spoiled in Ohio with some great areas to ride in. Lets do it again soon.
Thanks Tim

Tim, here's the route we took to the restaurant:

https://goo.gl/maps/FSKRuXKxymx

and the route I took home:

https://goo.gl/maps/YisdZe7jGE22

Here's the 3 hour ride I told you that I take a lot that combines the 2 above without the section heading north on 62:

https://goo.gl/maps/T4xtsHj2yR82

There are also a lot of county roads off of 60/62/520 that are pretty good, too.

Sorry I missed you guys, momma finally got a day off, and we planned on an early departure, was all set to roll outta here when she begain feeling ill, and I didn't think it would be fair to leave her behind....  so we hung out till she felt better and by then it was lunchtime...
I'll plan accordingly if another event pops up... neither of us have had any decent riding this year, just short jaunts in n.e. ohio, as she works almost every weekend...I think she was more bummed than me, seeing as it was the first Saturday off for her since April...doh.

Glad to hear it was a good day for y'all, and everyone made it home in one piece....

Ride safe,

That was great Randy, and I reallllly have to applaude you for doing something without realizing what you did..m I'll explain...
Your video, was perfect in every way, and did what we "old dudes" try to explain over and over,
It shows a total and responsible manner of "group" riding, with people stretched out within sight, travelling at a distance releative to road speed, and "never bunching up and riding like pirates"...
Awesom, you will go far, and your propensity for safe and fun is greatly apreciated...

I'm really sorry I missed this.. really good job.

Had a good time at breakfast, I headed north afterward as Zanesville was in the opposite direction for me. Ready to do it again though. ;D

It was a lot of fun meeting and riding with you guys. Glad everybody made it home safe.

Randy, did you get any video of those "twisty" roads your gps found for us on the way home? I hadn't planned on doing the dirt/gravel horse path thing.

Cheers,
Joe

Had a good time meeting and riding with all you guys, what to thank Brent for leading the ride. Need to do it again soon.    Matt