• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ohlins Rear Shock for 2009 C14

touring03

Anybody used the Ohlins KA109 as a replacement shock for the C14s factory shock? Good? or is there a better alternative?

PG

Last edited:
I have upgraded the suspension on three of my bikes through Traxxion Dynamics in Georgia. I do the installs (front and rear) myself, except for my wife's Yamaha FZ600R. It was the first year the bike came out, and they had not done one before, so I trailered it down from PA and dropped it off on my way to a Tail of the Dragon rally and picked it up on the way back. They used that as their set-up bike. Great components and great people. I have a Penske triple-clicker on the rear of my 2018 Connie and their AK-20 cartridges up front.
Ohlins makes top-shelf shocks two, but I have no experience with them, so I can't compare the two.

FWIW. I shipped my stock rear suspension to a shop in Idaho that honed the shaft, installed race tech valves, re-sprung it to my specs and installed a valve to make it serviceable in the future.

For my style of riding it was night and day better and less expensive than an Ohlins. Cornering confidence was dramatically improved as well as riding comfort. With that said, I do not ride aggressively, race or do track days.

I f
FWIW. I shipped my stock rear suspension to a shop in Idaho that honed the shaft, installed race tech valves, re-sprung it to my specs and installed a valve to make it serviceable in the future.

For my style of riding it was night and day better and less expensive than an Ohlins. Cornering confidence was dramatically improved as well as riding comfort. With that said, I do not ride aggressively, race or do track days.
I did something similar with front and rear. Very happy for a fraction of the price.

Yes. For me I sent both my front and rear to a shop in Idaho. For $1K I had my stock front and rear suspension re-honed, re-valved with RaceTech valves, re-sprung to my weight and riding style (and for the rear valved to be serviceable).

For me top 3 must have modifications for a motorcycle.

That's the place I used. He did my Vstrom and when I asked if he could do the concours he said he had never done one but would give it a try. For me, the results were spectacular. Again, I don't race or push the bike to it's limits, however the comfort of the ride and confidence in cornering is noticeably improved.

That's the place I used. He did my Vstrom and when I asked if he could do the concours he said he had never done one but would give it a try. For me, the results were spectacular. Again, I don't race or push the bike to it's limits, however the comfort of the ride and confidence in cornering is noticeably improved.
That's how I would describe the change too. So much more confidence in the corners. I used to get some wallowing in the corners.

I've been hearing rumors that the KA109 has been discontinued. I received this from Vince with
Solo Motorparts in San Juan Capistrano, CA. this morning.

"Unfortunately we’re out and Ohlins confirms that the KA109 is the correct part for the C14 but is discontinued".

So the only way now to get the KA109 is to find someone with some existing stock. Any suggestions on an equal to Ohlins replacement?

PG

Any suggestions on an equal to Ohlins replacement?

PG
PG - Penske 8975 Dual Adjust is the rear shock we use. Not a single comparison between stock and this upgrade. Stock does not compete at any level with this suspension.

I recall some having the stock shock re-sprung, possibly re-valved and then the stock shock performs about as good as the Penske 9000 or possibly 8975.

Was spendy but I have no regrets - 2UP riding 95+ percent of the time and my wife is happy too.

PG - Penske 8975 Dual Adjust is the rear shock we use. Not a single comparison between stock and this upgrade. Stock does not compete at any level with this suspension.

I recall some having the stock shock re-sprung, possibly re-valved and then the stock shock performs about as good as the Penske 9000 or possibly 8975.

Was spendy but I have no regrets - 2UP riding 95+ percent of the time and my wife is happy too.
Thanks, I'll check it out, most parts are "spendy" for me because I'm purchasing in Canadian dollars, usually adds about 25% premium to the price.

PG.

Thanks, I'll check it out, most parts are "spendy" for me because I'm purchasing in Canadian dollars, usually adds about 25% premium to the price.

PG.
Do some searching - pretty sure I recall there is a vendor in Canada that is known for stock shock rebuilding and results impressed the riders.

Do some searching - pretty sure I recall there is a vendor in Canada that is known for stock shock rebuilding and results impressed the riders.
Thanks, I'm leaning towards replacing the stock shock with an aftermarket product but instead of just trashing the old shock I will look into getting it rebuilt and kept as a backup.

for anyone who replaced their rear shock, can you mount the adjuster in the same location the stock adjuster is located? Any special tools needed? I am intrigued by the statement above on confidence in the corners with an upgraded shock. Just today adjusting my suspension I felt better in corners.