• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Oil Change stuff

fartymarty

SC AAD
While the debate discussion goes on about the best oil filters in the other thread, I'm starting to wonder if there is a better way for me to add oil during a change. Because of the clutch being so close to the oil filler opening one can't just drop a funnel in the hole, and it becomes more awkward with the proximity of the bar from my Top Block tip over protection. It's no problem holding the funnel and a quart container of oil, but it gets iffy holding the funnel and a gallon jug and trying not to fill the funnel up too much while keeping an eye on the fill opening for possible out flow if the oil goes in slower than expected. (This is where the guffaws start..." Ha!... this loser can't even add oil to his bike! Ha!" Ted, you go first ;).) Currently I'm using a small bungee to hold the funnel as I work the gallon jug of oil (the c14 is the first bike I've owned that takes more oil to fill than my car does.) in a way to prevent spillage.

Before I start to make one, is there a funnel available that screws into the fill opening?

Am I the only person here that finds this to be more difficult than it should be? ...or am I just doing it totally wrong?
(Yeah, I'm probably gonna lose my man card over this :(:cry::rolleyes:)

I agree it's a bit awkward. I have canyon cages so I wedge a long tube funnel in between the cage and the plastic. I imagine everyone has their own trick for this job.

Get yourself one of these funnels that has a cap at the top and bottom. Not only does it fit with the long neck, but you will never need to clean the funnel if it’s just for oil. And best of all, you will never spill a drop. Amazon sells them, and most auto stores.

I have a few of those same funnels and i'm able to shove it in there and wedge it between the clutch and the cover and it stays. Your results may vary...
Snap-on makes screw in funnels for automatic applications, it might be good to look into if any of those fit ours.
That being said do we know what the thread diameter is?

Quick look. Snap-on only has one for newer Chrysler/Jeep/Dodges. I believe the 3.7,4.7 and Hemi. They also have one for older HD but its a pop in style. I found this on Amazon but who knows if the correct size is in there. Harbor freight has a similar one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210822-090052_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210822-090052_Chrome.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 111
I remember the old style metal funnels that had the articulating spout, that could be moved around brackets yhat may pose a problem ... that might be a solution for u Marty. May have to hit a few garage/estate sales to find one.

And dont worry about what ted sez, nobody pays much attention to what he sez anyway...he still thinks red is the fastest color.....lmao

Get yourself one of these funnels that has a cap at the top and bottom. Not only does it fit with the long neck, but you will never need to clean the funnel if it’s just for oil. And best of all, you will never spill a drop. Amazon sells them, and most auto stores.

+1 This is what I use. Neck is a little thin but it wedges against clutch and housing. A thin neck means slow pouring so oil doesn't spill over.

I don't think you want a funnel that would screw into the opening. I would think that if it was sealed into the threads that it would be tough to get oil to flow into the motor. I would think you would need air to exit the motor while putting oil in. The best thing I found for putting oil into tough areas are rubber nozzles that screw on to your bottle of oil. I got mine from Fleet Farm and it has threads to go on the standard small or large bottle opening. I put it into the fill hole and then poke a hole in the bottom of the container so the oil flows out fast.

I don't think you want a funnel that would screw into the opening. I would think that if it was sealed into the threads that it would be tough to get oil to flow into the motor. I would think you would need air to exit the motor while putting oil in. The best thing I found for putting oil into tough areas are rubber nozzles that screw on to your bottle of oil. I got mine from Fleet Farm and it has threads to go on the standard small or large bottle opening. I put it into the fill hole and then poke a hole in the bottom of the container so the oil flows out fast.
Good idea!

I stumbled apon this one at Wal Mart. The shape is just right and the diameter of the stem (or whatever it is called) fits snuggley into the fill hole. But it may not work with your crash bar.

Attachments

• c14funnel.jpg
    c14funnel.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 124