• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

OIL PAN SWAP

yachtjock1

Ran in to Mike on a 2017 c14 (118000 miles My hero) and had lunch in Everglades City. He mentioned I could swap my 08 oil pan to a later model to move the drain plug. Has anyone else heard of this before I jump in?

Yes, it's been done by a few as a safety measure. I however, fitted an allen key drain plug which is only about a third the height/depth as the stock plug, giving more ground clearance. M12x1.5 thread.

Last edited:
Can't imagine it's too big a job as they are essentially the same save the oil drain position. Is it a problem for you with the clearance? Seems like a lot of work and expense for such a small difference.

I don't know guys talk you hear stories . was looking at an 08 oil pan on eBay and the guard is clearly ground down and a 12 that's not 2 different riders both bikes scrapped out. youes buy your ticket you take your chances. I like the Allen head idea buy a pan head so their is no edge to grab. planning a trip to Prudhoe bay in the late spring. Just trying to bullet prof stuff. Thanks Guys!

Sheared the pan boss right off of mine on a steep ramp transition in 2014 dumping oil everywhere. Replaced it with the newer pan in about 10 minutes no problem.