• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Old Guy New Here - Don't Let The Old Man In

rjonesnm727

Just got a '22 Connie about 3 weeks ago, now @ 2,000 + miles.
Riding since I was 14, Harleys, Guzzie, Honda ST, 6th Gen Goldwing, DCT, and now the Connie (took some years off to let the law of averages catch up)
In the add-on phase, looking for suggestions from those with experience:
1) handlebar risers - is there anything better than Murphs?
2) crash bars - for the eventual drop (probably in front of a crowd, hopefully @ 0 mph)
3) any suggestions on mounts for Garmin Zumo xt - I've used the Kawasaki mount to the triple tree, trying to figure out how to use the Touratech locking mount
4) anything else you want to throw at me.

Most of this crowd are technically "old guys".
But, If your still riding, you're not old yet!

Risers can also be purchased on Ebay that are similar to Murphs. There are a few different heights available.
But Murph's a stand-up guy that has supported COG for a long time. So, we prefer to buy from him.

I know of only 2 Crash bars (Tip over bars) that are still being produced.
The ones Murph sells and the T-Rex.
(If you want the T-Rex, I have a new (in the unopened box) set that I think I'm going to sale).

Ride safe, Ted

Heli bar system....expensive but adjustable in height, reach, and angle...no mods to throttle cables other then a little routing. Comes with brake and clutch hose extensions. Had a set on my c10. I tried several sets of risers, set back plates and the wedges. The combination was acceptable but the helibars i could custom tailor to my 'old+short' armed body...

Reactions: Bud
I enjoy the Healtech Quickshifter - makes riding a tremendous joy even above the already exciting machine the C-14 is.

If you ride 2-up the rear suspension is inadequate, Penske or rebuild.

New tires - the stones are not great. 2-up I’ve found the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart IV to stick great and wear long. I love the Michelins but spirited riding and 2-up they just do not last, for us that is.

Get a flash from one of the two COG partners here - PM me for my personal experience.

ZUMO XT mounted on a clutch mount bracket that can be purchased from ram mounts.

If you want more top end then you’re talking Full Exhaust - AreaP is what we have are other more economical options.

Depending on height the factory windshield meh…. California Scientific offers options for comfortable riding, NOTE: If you are a screamer you’ll need the <2015 California Scientific model shield and ditch the windshield door. There are some other manufacturers but it is limited.

We use Airhawk air cushions on the seat, does raise ride height a smidge. A good relief on the push forward into tank angle of the seat and then the stock seat itself is ok but not great. Airhawk and synthetic layers (no cotton) you can ride all day and more.

We’ll help you get started! Welcome to COG!

Wayne, Carol & Blue

3) any suggestions on mounts for Garmin Zumo xt - I've used the Kawasaki mount to the triple tree, trying to figure out how to use the Touratech locking mount

Welcome aboard.

I use the RAM mount setup that comes in the Garmin Zumo XT box and mounts to the handlebar controls. I prefer the left side.

Thanks for the help.
I enjoy the Healtech Quickshifter - makes riding a tremendous joy even above the already exciting machine the C-14 is.

If you ride 2-up the rear suspension is inadequate, Penske or rebuild.

New tires - the stones are not great. 2-up I’ve found the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart IV to stick great and wear long. I love the Michelins but spirited riding and 2-up they just do not last, for us that is.

Get a flash from one of the two COG partners here - PM me for my personal experience.

ZUMO XT mounted on a clutch mount bracket that can be purchased from ram mounts.

If you want more top end then you’re talking Full Exhaust - AreaP is what we have are other more economical options.

Depending on height the factory windshield meh…. California Scientific offers options for comfortable riding, NOTE: If you are a screamer you’ll need the <2015 California Scientific model shield and ditch the windshield door. There are some other manufacturers but it is limited.

We use Airhawk air cushions on the seat, does raise ride height a smidge. A good relief on the push forward into tank angle of the seat and then the stock seat itself is ok but not great. Airhawk and synthetic layers (no cotton) you can ride all day and more.

We’ll help you get started! Welcome to COG!

Wayne, Carol & Blue