• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Old Mans and Counterweights Thanksgiving weekend ride

OMoaC

Looking for suggestions. Last year we did So AZ Yuma, Tombstone, Bisbee, Globe. Weather closed in and couldn't do Devils hwy. Now looking at a So Cal tour departing Thurs Morn. Suggestions GO!

How far east do you think you'll go?  I'm going to be in Las Cruces that weekend I'm sure.  Could easily put you guys up for a night or two if you made it that far.

Thinking now is to pack the 14 hunney in the toy box and head down to Borrego springs and radiate happiness from there.  :) :beerchug:

Jet Fixer said:
Mark. Is this just a ride for you and the Mrs or can some of us riffraff show up?    ;D
The more the merrier I sez.  :great: :beerchug: We used to go off road camping for T day. That's slowly evolving now. Have the toy box out. I'll post a location and contact info. Some really great riding in the area as well as the Sculptures in the area that are really cool to see. Maybe a cool location for a future regional.

Old Man on a Connie said:
Jet Fixer said:
Mark. Is this just a ride for you and the Mrs or can some of us riffraff show up?    ;D
The more the merrier I sez.  :great: :beerchug: We used to go off road camping for T day. That's slowly evolving now. Have the toy box out. I'll post a location and contact info. Some really great riding in the area as well as the Sculptures in the area that are really cool to see. Maybe a cool location for a future regional.

Cool!  Sounds good.  I have Thurs, Fri off so maybe I could join you for a day.
I use to four wheel in Borrego and Ocotillo back in the day.  Not much road bike in that area so it will be new ground for me.

Same Same. Ocotillo, Borrego, salt and sea, truck haven. The old Del Sol run. Great stuff on the road into Julian and P mountain. Dramatic drops north into Palm Springs on the 74, San Jacinto. I'll make an offer. I'm ordering a Tday dinner that feeds 8. So for the next 6 if you have no plans for Tday I'll feed ya (supply your own beverage of choice you chiselers  ;)). Cause it's Thanksgiving right? Not an official COG event but if you want to come hang all are welcome.

Mark:

Bob Young here. Your mentioning Salton Sea, Borrego, Julian, Palomar, Hwy.74, Idlywild, Palms to Pines [as I remember]. Brings back memories; I was grew up in San Bernardino; my wife and I built a home in Beaumont and rode those roads many a time.
Have a great Thanksgiving.
Still riding, but on a small, local scale. My wife is gradually getting back into riding after her brother's motorcycle related death last year. Kinda' took the wind out of her and the riding thing.
I read the forum daily and follow the SW calendar, you're doing a great job as are the others in the SW area.
And thank you for your service, Marine. It allowed this civilian to do the things I did in a great country.

Bob Young
COG #5753
Pahrump,Nv.

Red Eagle said:
Mark:

Bob Young here. Your mentioning Salton Sea, Borrego, Julian, Palomar, Hwy.74, Idlywild, Palms to Pines [as I remember]. Brings back memories; I was grew up in San Bernardino; my wife and I built a home in Beaumont and rode those roads many a time.
Still riding, but on a small, local scale. My wife is gradually getting back into riding after her brother's motorcycle related death last year. Kinda' took the wind out of her and the riding thing.
I read the forum daily and follow the SW calendar, you're doing a great job as are the others in the SW area.
And thank you for your service, Marine. It allowed this civilian to do the things I did in a great country.

Bob Young
COG #5753
Pahrump,Nv.
Bless ya Bob and thank you! As do you fine Sir. Glad to hear your settling into Pahrump well and the wife is doing good. The SW Area really appreciates you help and support (Bob was one of the architects of the Yreka NW/SW gala, and what fun it was!). Soon in the future my friend we shall dance among the Death Valley Canyons. Hoping for a great wild flower season upcoming. Semper Fi

East side of Salton Sea was my first real road trip after I bought the bike. Excellent patty melt and cold bevvie at the Ski Inn (the lowest bar in the Western Hemisphere) in Bombay Beach, and a side trip to East Jesus in Slab City.

Ya'll keep these points in mind because the more research I do I think this would make a cool spot for a regional. Decent room prices and some great riding, easy access for a lot of the SW group and a regional in the gorilla in the room So Cal. Need to talk to Terry and Jeff.

Red Eagle said:
Mark:

Bob Young
COG #5753
Pahrump,Nv.

Hey Bob!  Now that I'm back on the bike, maybe we can hit up a short loop through DV over the Thanksgiving (4-day) weekend.

I have no plans for T-day, families in Tennessee through Christmas until I catch up with them in mid December.  I just missed out on the last get together, :mad: but anxious to head up North for some riding over the long weekend >:D.  I’m off Thurs-Frid-Sat-Sun which opens up some opportunities.  What day, time, and place do folks want to link up? 

~ Michael

WOW Mark, what an amazing offer.  Sounds like a stellar ride and time. Wish I was wealthy and retired instead of not so wealthy and just unemployed. LOL 

Y'all ride safe and have some big big fun.  :beerchug:

Saint_Arc said:
I have no plans for T-day, families in Tennessee through Christmas until I catch up with them in mid December.  I just missed out on the last get together, :mad: but anxious to head up North for some riding over the long weekend >:D.  I’m off Thurs-Frid-Sat-Sun which opens up some opportunities.  What day, time, and place do folks want to link up? 

~ Michael
Now Michael, why do you show in the SE area? Check your profile settings and reset to SW and you'll get my email blasts (not that there's a lot but I pull the mailing list by area). I'll post up location tonight. Be in town late Thursday day and leaving early Sunday Morn which leaves Fri and Sat open for exploring. and Thurs, Fri, and Sat nights for bench racing.

Saint_Arc said:

~ Michael
Now Michael, why do you show in the SE area? Check your profile settings and reset to SW and you'll get my email blasts (not that there's a lot but I pull the mailing list by area). I'll post up location tonight. Be in town late Thursday day and leaving early Sunday Morn which leaves Fri and Sat open for exploring. and Thurs, Fri, and Sat nights for bench racing.

I noticed that a couple of weeks ago too but couldn’t get it fixed.  I just tried again and can’t locate the option to change that to SW.  Where is the feature at?   

Here's where we will be staying. No set schedule or agenda. If your coming out let me know. Just a laid back weekend. http://www.springsatborrego.com/index.html

I’ll let you know by early next week.  This looks like an ideal destination and very enticing :). I was debating heading to the Grand Canyons to do some riding and camping but this destination looks nice as well.  :))  I see golf courses, just not much of a golfer these days.  It’s been four years since I last tee’d off.  :'(.

I have Thursday/Friday off.  Trying to get Saturday off but so far, no luck.  I should know for sure one way or the other by Monday.
I'll let you know asap.    Checking the area for hotels just in case.

Hi Mark, Since I am now retired.....I should along with maybe a couple of other crazies be able to sneak by after Thanksgiving. Borrego Springs is one our favorite rides especially when the weather cools. Will let you know if we are a coming! Safe travels coming out!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

Rode Palomar Mountain loop and Julian on Tuesday.  Weather was great, awesome ride.  Make sure you stop at the Julian Pie Company in San Isabel where the 78 and 79 cross.  Get the Mountain Berry pie.  The Henshaw Lake Resort Cafe is another great spot to eat.  It’s off the 76 in that same area. 

Trash Packed. Heading out 1st light Thursday Morn. Let me know your plans. Hate to have you show up at an empty trailer at noon while we are out and about. Mayhap we can meet halfway on your ride out. Looking at Julian/Palomar loop Friday and Palm Springs loop Sat.  :great: :beerchug: :motonoises:

Ping Jockey said:
We plan on coming out, just dont know what day. or if we ride or cage it....just dont know
No worries just lemme know. Meet half way cool. Just don't want folks banging on a empty trailer door when we are out and about.

Jeff, Jack and I will probably see you Friday or Saturday. Both loops sound good. Attila may join too....:) Let you know Tomorrow or Thanksgiving day.

Looking like I’m going to have to stay in the area due to work.  :mad:. Was anyone riding out from Tucson area?  If I can find someone to cover down for me I maybe able to squeeze it in and leave late morning of Thursday.  Won’t know until tomorrow evening. :??:

If you can identify lunch stops on Friday or Saturday I might be able to head down for a day trip and connect with you. If you'd rather play that by ear don't worry about it.

TJSocal said:
If you can identify lunch stops on Friday or Saturday I might be able to head down for a day trip and connect with you. If you'd rather play that by ear don't worry about it.
Let me look at a map tonight. You guys know better than me. Suggestions? I think I want to take the truck one day and take the counterweight and the doggies over to the sculptures for a tour. I'm wide open.

Might be riding out today and/or tomorrow. Where are you going today and what time would be cool to come by?

Hey Russ, Just replied to your text. Going to visit the sculptures with the dogs today and ride tomorrow. Julian to Idylwild.