• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

?? On flat repair.

kzz1king

I got a puncture in my rear tire today. Cruising about 70 and it drained pretty quick. Had a plugs, glue and pump as always. Here is the problem.
How do you get the sidestand down? I had a buddy with so we got it on the center stand but don't think I could on my own. I need to come up with a plan man!

I got a puncture in my rear tire today. Cruising about 70 and it drained pretty quick. Had a plugs, glue and pump as always. Here is the problem.
How do you get the sidestand down? I had a buddy with so we got it on the center stand but don't think I could on my own. I need to come up with a plan man!

Not sure if anyone has shown you this yet or not, but literally with flipflops on I can rock the bike twice and it'll pop right up on the center stand. I'm 5'10", weighing about 180# and not nearly as athletic as I once was. That being said, the secret is to step down on the center stand toe with 90% of your body weight. Then stand the bike upright until you can feel it balance between the two "feet", pull the left handlebar toward you while you grab the frame just above the rear suspension adjustment knob, and then put your entire body weight down on that center stand toe while you use your biceps to stabilize the bike as you try standing your body up using your thighs. Lift your chin up and turn your face toward the front of the bike. Rock it once, twice and then the third time with some oomph it'll pop right up on the stand.

The trick is to make sure you don't overdo it with the upward oomph. After a few times doing it you'll get the feel for just how much power to put into it. Easy peasy. I demonstrated it for Matt about a month ago when he came over to do the first service on his new '21. I was wearing my flipflops and cargo shorts, just to make the point that it's entirely doable. Then he did it himself and poof, his concerns decreased a lot. Practice is the mother of skill. LOL

My 2-cents FWIW: Do NOT be afraid of the bike. Be resolved in your actions, and calm inside. YOU are the boss of the bike. Wherever some of y'all may have gotten the notion that you need to be afraid needs to be thrown out. Yes you need to respect the center of gravity, and use good sense when on uneven terrain/road surface/tarmac, but don't let the bike make you feel inadequate. If you have the strength to stand up a Christmas tree in your house each season (so the ladies can decorate it) then you're plenty strong enough to get these machines up on their center stand when you need to.

With a flat rear tire and on soft gravel shoulder...a different story. It took 2 of us last weekend to get a 2003 BMW GS1100 on the center stand to assess the flat rear.

With a flat rear tire and on soft gravel shoulder...a different story. It took 2 of us last weekend to get a 2003 BMW GS1100 on the center stand to assess the flat rear.

Oh I totally concur, the surface you're working on is a factor. A helper is for sure a good idea on mushy ground! Well said.

Yesterday I wanted to get my 08 on the centerstand to change rear drive oil. I couldn't quite get it to go, tires were full of air. I rolled the front wheel onto a piece of half inch plywood and the bike popped right up first try.

I have a 6inch piece of 5/4 deck board in my bags that i roll the rear tire up onto. Its the only way ive been able to get it on the center stand.

Ill have to try the texss method...

I have a 6inch piece of 5/4 deck board in my bags that i roll the rear tire up onto. Its the only way ive been able to get it on the center stand.

Ill have to try the texss method...
That's with an unflat tire I assume? I want to see the videos of the guys doing it with a flat tire.

Cant imagine doing with a flat tire. (Knock on wood) my last flat was on my 98 c10 back in 2013, and needed an extra body to get it on center stand.

I can tell you that I can not put any of my big bikes on the center stand with a flat tire. I'm with Kzz. I wanna see the beast that can do it.

I can tell you that I can not put any of my big bikes on the center stand with a flat tire. I'm with Kzz. I wanna see the beast that can do it.

Hmmm, I gonna have to let the air out of my tire in my gravel & do it just to refresh my memory. I've only had one back tire go completely flat before I could get off the road. Pulled into a gravel driveway & put it on the center with no issue that I remember. It was also loaded, had been in NC camping.

No I'm not a big guy, 175lb soaking wet on a fat day!

Cant imagine doing with a flat tire. (Knock on wood) my last flat was on my 98 c10 back in 2013, and needed an extra body to get it on center stand.
I had help with mine.I admit I cheat and run mine up on a 2x with a full tire.
Hmmm, I gonna have to let the air out of my tire in my gravel & do it just to refresh my memory. I've only had one back tire go completely flat before I could get off the road. Pulled into a gravel driveway & put it on the center with no issue that I remember. It was also loaded, had been in NC camping.

No I'm not a big guy, 175lb soaking wet on a fat day!
I was on pavement and didn't want to ride the rim to a approach. I am going to try it when I can get someone to watch in case things go south. Let me know how it goes. I am about the same weight.

I think if you got flat rear and want to get it on the center stand your going to need another fairly strong person.
If your alone your probably going to have to flag a car down and get some help. The C-14 is heavy.
I couldn't do it alone- I know that.
Nick
2014 C-14
That's what I did. I was riding with a buddy and with 2 of us it was very easy.

I pulled my bike out of the shop on to gravel drive & removed the valve core to flatten tire. I set a dry bag with 20 or so pounds in it on the seat. Took it off the side stand & popped right up on center stand with really no issue. Had the wife video it & hopefully I can get off the phone.

Here it is.

Yep, there it is. Thank you Paul for posting this up. I'm still anxious to see Cliff's clip!

Although, personally, I grab the frame a little further toward the front with my right hand so I can get my thighs into it. Having no intervertebral discs between L4-L5 or L5-S1 plus bone spurs on L3 through S1 means that lifting with my lumbar activated will put me in bed for about a week. Those who've experienced an injury that leaves them with a "bad back" know what I mean.

Thanks Bud! I may still do it again with a camera since that one is so fuzzy when posted & my wife didn't show the tire flat very well. I assume it's so fuzzy because of texting to Bud, it's clear when I see it on the phone.
That IS Cliff. :)

I'm not sure why is so fuzzy once posted. It was clear on my phone when viewed, I assume it lost some quality when texted to Bud & then posted.
Doesn't show the tire being flat very well either, may just have to have a redo if Bud doesn't mind posting it again.

Nice vid, yes every situation is different. My friend and his BMW with their pesky "Ride Off Centerstand" did not tolerate even a couple of degrees of downhill angle. We had to hold the thing in place the entire time. If the tire had ben repairable it would have been a bear, but we could have probably scrounged a rock or stick to help...somewhere. The cause of air loss BTW was a crumbly cracked valve stem, the originals he stated. Hmmmm, 19 years is too long for rubber to be reliable. Note to self, maybe carry a spare tubeless valve stem but typically they require tire dismantling, or better yet change them at every other tire R&R...or go to angled billet ones like I have on my other bikes!

He had ridden the bike a few hundred yard to get to a rise to hopefully help cell reception, (was still lousy but I got his text saying HELP), but it happened to be right on the exit of a blind uphill corner. I was not too comfortable as a couple of cagers created hazardous conditions. We pushed the bike close to the fog line to get solid enough ground to get it up, pics show how deep/soft the gravel was and it too makes the tire look 'not flat'.

Interesting side note, were live in what is considered rural central WA. Call to his AAA revealed he did not have coverage for M/C. OK, they hooked him up with the single tow service in closes town. They were on vacation, transferred to another number. They answered, but only had an old hook truck, no bueno. Called first of 3 tow services in our home town about 30 miles away. They had 1 flatbed but it was on a call over an hour away in the opposite direction, so would be at least 2 hours. I later called my AMA Roadside Assistance peeps, thinking it may be better, but they would have used the same sources and wait would still have been dictated by limited local resources. Hmmm

Attachments

• FLAT SPOT_1.jpg
    FLAT SPOT_1.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 131
  • FLAT SPOT_3.JPG
    FLAT SPOT_3.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 130
  • FLAT SPOT_4.JPG
    FLAT SPOT_4.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 137