• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Oops! I did it again

gbyoung2

First 1967 CL77 - A "little" rough:
305%20restoration%20003-XL.jpg

Second 1967 CL77 - A lot better shape (tank needs cleaned and is tucked away in a box):
IMG_5407-XL.jpg

Same year/model was my second bike, and had a little over 90K on it when I foolishly let it go. Dumb move, and I should of had my backside kicked - HARD!

After a lot of work (and $$), the first one survived to run another day:
eddy%20and%20CL-XL.jpg

dcstrng said:
Wow... and what an education that youngster is getting !!!  ;)

Yeah, somewhat. This fella bought it still in rough shape after I got it running, had all the bodywork and painting done, then brought it back to me in pieces. I named the bike "Booger" 'cause I couldn't shake it. It was a "Where's Waldo" jigsaw puzzle piecing it all back together, installing a new wiring harness, and getting it running again. The fella then flipped it to someone up in MD shortly after getting it back from me for a buncha bux..... even tho' it still had warts that I was aware of.

Got the “new” one running yesterday on an auxiliary fuel tank. Had allowed the original tank to sit filled with straight apple cider vinegar for a couple of days, then blasted it out with a power washer about an hour ago. Impressive results considering what it looked like originally. Will do the electrolysis thing later today, and after that will move on to a POR15 treatment. The exterior is “okay” but will eventually hit it with some paint at some point. This bike isn’t destined for “concours quality” to hit the show trail, but just another daily rider to enjoy.

If records are correct, the bike hasn’t run in over 10 years. The carbs weren’t in too bad shape, but I had to replace one float due to a hole. Last owner provided a new float and bowl gaskets for both carbs, so I just pulled the jets and made sure they were clear. The battery was stone cold dead, so used a battery charger to provide the 12 volts needed. After about 10 or so kicks, it lit off. Did a rough tune on the carbs and it settled into a nice smooth idle, one that I remembered from my old ’67 and the previous CL I worked on a couple of years ago. A few tweaks of the air mixture screws allowed a good response to rapid throttle advance.

Now that I know that it runs, a new battery and a couple of other items are on order. I didn’t want to get too far ahead of myself and throw good money out for bad........... JIC.

Rejet for "Snuff-or-Not"s if you haven't already.

Remember reaching back to turn the baffle washer "ON" when the cops came by? :D

photo-11-e1400985496745-300x225.jpg

Love the CL77!!!!!!!!

kv5e said:
Rejet for "Snuff-or-Not"s if you haven't already.

Remember reaching back to turn the baffle washer "ON" when the cops came by? :D

photo-11-e1400985496745-300x225.jpg

Love the CL77!!!!!!!!

what a hoot....
that brought back memories for sure...
a lot of my pals rode Yamaha Enduro's here in Ohio, I had a 360, a couple pals had 250's, and I later in life bought a 400...
pretty much every one of us had the baffle "blow out and get lost", and we made our own Snuffer like that witha big washer a spring a wingnut and screw...  they were free, just for diging thru my dad's hardware bins... :rotflmao: :great:

we also ran those indestructable Pacifico front fenders...  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

http://www.geekbobber.com/2017/01/snuff-or-nots.html

No "Snots" on this bike. This one came with a good set of pipes with the original muffler.

IMG_5439-XL.jpg

IMG_5438-XL.jpg

Different than the one on my original '67 back in the late 60's. That bike's muffler was a separate piece that had a molded rubber gasket that fitted into both muffler inlets. This bike, the muffler is welded to the RH cylinder's (top) pipe, and the LH cylinder (lower) pipe slips in that and uses packing very similar to those used on the C10 Connie mufflers and center crossover joint. It has a band clamp that secures things in place. I like this arrangement a whole lot better.