• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Opinion please

mchuey19629489

I bought my 2002 C10 in 2004, new. I still use the dealer/mechanic and trust him to a large degree when it comes to mechanical skills.
My bike has 61,820. miles on it, last Valve adjustment was about 25,000.00 miles ago. The mechanic at that time told me of some pitting on the cams but said it will not probably get worse.
30 days ago I asked the same mechanic to do a valve adjustment, and he called me after taking the top off and stated there is no way, can not tune around this issue, the cams are shot due to extreme pitting and flaking.
From 1-45,000. miles I have used BelRay 1040 Mineral. from 45,000.00 on BelRay Synthetic Esther. I would challenge anyone to produce a better maintained bike than mine. It has never over heated, no issues to speak of other than regular maintenance.
I am very curious as to HOW this happened ( see pics). The mechanic stated he has never seen this before and it has to be a material defect.
All lobes are this way, both Cams.
Any thoughts?
thank you,

Attachments

• Cam pic2.jpg
    Cam pic2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Cam pic4.jpg
    Cam pic4.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 174
  • Cam pic3.jpg
    Cam pic3.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 169
The pitted cams have been happening on C-10's for years.
It was a heat treat problem....

Everyone sees them, and worries..
But, but I don't know of anyone that actually had a problem because of the pits.
ie; The pits hold oil and that oil may be helping lubricate the rocker followers..

I would ask the mechanic if there is a groove worn in the followers, or was the adjustment way out because of wear.
If there is not a issue currently, and if he can adjust them as they are,,, run em'..

NOTE: Go to Ebay and look at the ZG Cams that are for sale.
Look closely, and you will see some that some of them are are pitted.

Might be time to either do the valve adjust yourself or find a new shop . I've been a COG member for 10+ years now and have seen this issue with cams come up many times . It's a well known issue with our bikes and generally nothing to worry about but I could see a mechanic unfamiliar with this bike being overly concerned . You could probably find some cams on Ebay in better shape if you wanted . My 87 has 71000 miles now with only slight pitting .

But, but I don't know of anyone that actually had a problem because of the pits.
ie; The pits hold oil and that oil may be helping lubricate the rocker followers..

I would ask the mechanic if there is a groove worn in the followers, or was the adjustment way out because of wear.
If there is not a issue currently, and if he can adjust them as they are,,, run em'..

sounds like a good plan, thank you!

Might be time to either do the valve adjust yourself or find a new shop . I've been a COG member for 10+ years now and have seen this issue with cams come up many times . It's a well known issue with our bikes and generally nothing to worry about but I could see a mechanic unfamiliar with this bike being overly concerned . You could probably find some cams on Ebay in better shape if you wanted . My 87 has 71000 miles now with only slight pitting .
I'm going to do the valve adjustment myself from now on for sure, I can do abut everything else and if I take my time it will be OK, need to get one under my belt and move on. thanks for the reply.

I saw that on Ebay, almost all of them have some pitting..going to adjust and ride.

I'm going to do the valve adjustment myself from now on for sure, I can do abut everything else and if I take my time it will be OK, need to get one under my belt and move on. thanks for the reply.
Hardest part is getting the cover to slip out...lol . Plenty of help available here if needed .

C10 valve job is significantly less work than the C14, also no need to purchase shims đź‘Ť - all adjustable.

+1 on cover removal. Watch for a clamp by the thermostat and remove the left side mid faring bolt to get a little more room. The valves are adjusted with screw and lock nuts so no need to remove the cams. Don't over torque the adjuster nut. The torque spec is for a dry torque not a lubed torque. No one I know remove's and cleans and dries the adjusters.

Now that your bike is apart at a shop. Ask them to do the adjustment and just it back together. It should be all good until the next time it is need. The cam pushes down on the follower across the whole width of the cam, not just a small spot. The whole tip would have to be worn off to cause problems.

One thing I learned recently.....use two feelers. IMO i was able to get that set of valves adjusted easier and more better with a feeler under each one.

One thing I learned recently.....use two feelers. IMO i was able to get that set of valves adjusted easier and more better with a feeler under each one.
+1 otherwise you end up out of spec chasing back and forth, BTDT….