• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

opinions welcomed;

dclifford652047

I have recently purchased a 2001 C10 with 18,000 miles on it. I am cleaning out my carbs due to a leak of the #2 carb. I suspect a stuck float.
What are your thoughts on using aftermarket filters.

The air box the bike came with provides better performance. I have not heard anyone report that eliminating the existing air filter system made the bike run better.

This is the kind of reply I am looking for. I admit that I am a little lazy, but not too lazy to refit the stock airbox. I'll save the aftermarket air cleaners for my xs650 custom build.

Steve from shoodebeen has an airbox modification that's helpful if i remember correctly.. with ur stuck float becareful of hydrolock. Steve also has a mid for the carb bank to eliminate that.... he's very good at making bith the c10 and c14 better....and he has you tube videos about the mods...

Some aftermarket air filters are a little taller, can cause the air box to crack. SISF video will show you how to repair and reinforce the area that cracks. His carb mod adds overflow tubes to prevent hydro lock.
If you have the carbs off for the stuck float you might take a look at his services.

When you ask about aftermarket filters, are you referring to those that fit inside the airbox, or Pods?
Generally speaking, the ones that fit inside the airbox are fine, but the pods seem to cause tuning problems.

Ride safe, Ted

Its mainly the K&N filters that are too tight and cause the airbox to split and the part that slides in at the bottom can be ground down a bit to fix it .

Last edited:
If switching to K&N filter.....I always took the slide piece that goes under the filter to seat it.....to a grinder and gently take some material off. It will then easily fit under the filter without stressing the airbox

When you ask about aftermarket filters, are you referring to those that fit inside the airbox, or Pods?
Generally speaking, the ones that fit inside the airbox are fine, but the pods seem to cause tuning problems.

Ride safe, Ted
thank you Ted, I did mean pods. I have decided to scrap the idea and go stock.