• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Overheating when not moving

danodemotoman

COG 2877
So a new friend bought a 92 C10.
It went into the red zone on temp when stopped.
I don't recall which fuse to check for the rad fan.
Which and where to help Patrick?

Under left side cover next to spare. It is hot from the battery.
Fan temp switch is on left side of the radiator and can be seen in the fairing opening. If you disconnect the wires from the switch and connect them together the fan will run even with the key off.

One should look also for postings regarding coolant cocktail mix.

I had running hot issues in traffic until I mixed coolant to reflect my geographic location. Trust me it eliminated that problem 100%.

Also note: You can not just use any antifreeze or mix antifreeze substrates improperly.

Do the homework and your friend will be richly rewarded.

Forgive me if informing on things already investigated. Good luck.

Don't forget to 'burp' the coolant system in two places to eliminate air from those areas: the thermostat housing and the water pump.

Don't forget to 'burp' the coolant system in two places to eliminate air from those areas: the thermostat housing and the water pump.
Yes thanks I did forget. Very important piece of puzzle! Consult manuals or net most assuredly.

(Assuming you have fluid in the radiator) If it's getting hot, the fan "should" come on...
If not, that is your problem..

The most likely problem of the fan "not" coming on is the temperature sensor/switch.
It is located under the left fairing on the left/rear/side of the radiator.

You can unplug the wires {without removing the fairing} with needle nose plyers.
After that, short the 2 wires together. (A piece of wire will do)
The fan should come on.
Then (with the fan running) let the bike idle and see if that solves the heat problem..
If successful, replace the sensor/switch.

Ride safe, Ted

I replaced my fan switch with the automotive on (1991 Honda Civic DX). I comes on at a lower temp and helps.

Steve
99 C10 127k

Two years ago I had the same problem with overheating on my 2002 C10. It was the fan temperature switch on the left side of the radiator. Ordered a switch from Murph's, replaced it, and solved the problem. No more overheating. Even in 90s temperature, the temp needle never went into the red. Murph's ships quickly and is a pleasure to deal with.