• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Overpant Recommendations

Daboo

So it finally happened. My Olympia XMoto pants finally failed. The zipper on the right side won't stay fastened. The two sides come apart, just walking out to the garage in them.

Overpants seem to be a dying style, but they are so convenient when you're going to church, a store, or wherever when you want to remove the motorcycle gear and just walk in your street clothes.

What do you recommend?

Chris

Last edited:
I have a practically brand new pair of First Gear HT Air Overpants (waist 42 - with waterproof liners) that I have worn just once - great pants, but my waist decided to get a little larger and they are now closet queens. If interested PM me.

Not sure on your pants but many zippers just open up a little and can be tightened up with pliers and made to work again. You could also look at having the zipper replaced .

I'll probably try that too. I was amazed at how few choices there were. So many are sold out.

Hooray! Kaloo, Kalay! Oh Frabjoulous Day!

Yes, my HWK pants arrived today. I had ordered these months ago when they were $29, but returned them. There were some fitment issues back then, and I wondered how these would be. Had they changed?

The basic pant looks the same. Like the picture above, it has some nice pluses. First, it is light colored. In hot summer temps, black seems like the absolute dumbest color to have, even if it is mesh. And I've found black gear really doesn't add any heat in the winter.

Next, it has a large open area that unzips over the top of the thigh to let some cooling air in when the temps get warmer. Some pants give you just a small zippered vent area, and I wonder how well that would work.

The most important thing though, is how they fit. I wear a size 34 pant. I purchased two pairs, with the intent to try both and return one. One is a 34-36. The other is a 36-38. Both fit, with obviously a little more room in the larger pair. The pants have a Velcro strap on each side to tighten the waist up quickly and easily.

1615844585789.png

There's also some elastic in the waistband area to allow for expansion.

1615844600619.png

While I'm at the waist, the snaps at the waistband are substantial. How long they stay on, will be up for debate. But for now, they are very strong and seem to be quality parts.

1615844611611.png

The reason I returned the $29 pair, was because the calf area was too tight. That pair of pants fit fine in the waist and thigh, but the calf felt too small. Both of these new pants, seem appropriately tailored.

The pants came in a plastic sealed bag. When I opened the first one, these tags were there. Interestingly enough, the second pair of pants, didn't have the tags. It looks like they were returned from a previous purchase and repackaged.

1615844641290.png

Ignore the non-paid model. ;)

1615844652783.png

The tags said they used Cordura material. It appears they did. It also said they used CE armor. It appears they did.

1615844735910.png

A selling point for me, was the large thigh vent area. Here's what it looks like when unzipped. I tucked the material down into the opening at the knee. Unlike the Olympia XMoto pants, the material doesn't fall all the way down into the calf area. But it does tuck away neatly.

1615844752388.png

One "issue" is think will come up, is that same opening will probably pick up water in the rain.

1615844768378.png

The leg opening is one place I wish they would make larger. I can't see a way to get the pants on and off without removing my boots.

1615844788897.png

Every pair of pants is a compromise. The Olympia XMoto pants were not perfect. The knee armor seemed great when standing up, but in the riding position, they shifted to the side to the point where I wondered if they would do any good in a get-off.

HWK has done an excellent job on these pants. The material seems durable and the stitching looks good. Zippers are on the smaller side, but seem adequate for the job. The waist adjustment, seems great and the two straps to take up the waist, are well made and simple to use.

I wish the side zippers at the bottom of the leg were larger. But that's not a deal-breaker. What would've been a deal breaker, is if the pants were not cut large enough to wear over pants. The rain liner is not one I plan to use; it is the kind of material that doesn't breathe. I'll take the removable rain/wind liner out of my Olympia XMoto pants and use it instead. But what do you want for $59.

These pants would be competitive to pants that cost up to $200. And when I see what they managed to do here, I have to wonder why Klim gear costs so much.

Chris

I do plan to replace the zipper and use the old pants eventually. But I think it'll take a few weeks...and I ride daily. The local tailor can't sew on that material with his sewing machines. I may have a person up north who can replace the zipper. And with a few phone calls, I can try to find who does repairs for riding gear at one of the local bike shops. So there's a way to get it done, but how soon.

And then there's the zipper itself. I haven't sourced a 36" zipper yet. The local stores don't have it, even to order.

Chris

Hooray! Kaloo, Kalay! Oh Frabjoulous Day!

Yes, my HWK pants arrived today. I had ordered these months ago when they were $29, but returned them. There were some fitment issues back then, and I wondered how these would be. Had they changed?

The basic pant looks the same. Like the picture above, it has some nice pluses. First, it is light colored. In hot summer temps, black seems like the absolute dumbest color to have, even if it is mesh. And I've found black gear really doesn't add any heat in the winter.

Next, it has a large open area that unzips over the top of the thigh to let some cooling air in when the temps get warmer. Some pants give you just a small zippered vent area, and I wonder how well that would work.

The most important thing though, is how they fit. I wear a size 34 pant. I purchased two pairs, with the intent to try both and return one. One is a 34-36. The other is a 36-38. Both fit, with obviously a little more room in the larger pair. The pants have a Velcro strap on each side to tighten the waist up quickly and easily.

View attachment 28802

I'd like to try a set of those. HWK is the manufacturer, are they a particular "model" and where did ya order em from????

Thanks
Bob
There's also some elastic in the waistband area to allow for expansion.

View attachment 28803

While I'm at the waist, the snaps at the waistband are substantial. How long they stay on, will be up for debate. But for now, they are very strong and seem to be quality parts.

View attachment 28804

The reason I returned the $29 pair, was because the calf area was too tight. That pair of pants fit fine in the waist and thigh, but the calf felt too small. Both of these new pants, seem appropriately tailored.

The pants came in a plastic sealed bag. When I opened the first one, these tags were there. Interestingly enough, the second pair of pants, didn't have the tags. It looks like they were returned from a previous purchase and repackaged.

View attachment 28805

Ignore the non-paid model. ;)

View attachment 28806

HWK Motorcycle Pants Cargo Pants Work Pants For Men Dirt Bike Adventure Dualsport Racing Riding Rain Waterproof Pant Hi-Vis 4-Season Armored All-Purpose (Waist32''-34'' Inseam30'')​