• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Pavlis Knows Curves ride, Mid-California, March 18

Wandrng

Just a nerd who rides
Pavlis Knows Curves ride - Saturday, March 18, 2017
Meet in Livermore, CA with Kickstands up at 10:30AM
Route - Meetup

A day ride filled with lots of fun curves in Central California near the Bay Area and Sac.

Long time COG member Jim Pavlis passed in late 2016. We decided to enjoy a nice day ride on some of the roads this prolific rider considered his backyard. Just COGgers getting together to ride some of JP's favorites.

We'll meet in Livermore, CA at the Acro AM/PM at 863 Vasco Rd on the North side of the 580 Freeway
There is a Country Waffles & McDonalds in the same complex for those that want to come early and eat. Also 3 other gas stations within 100 yards, including a Chevron, for those that prefer.

We're kickstands up and hitting the curvy roads at 10:30AM. We selected a slightly late start time to allow riders from all local areas (BA, SJ, Sac & Central Valley) to arrive for the ride.

We'll head south on Mines Rd. with copious amount of twists and sweeps n remote parts of the coastal range. At Del Puerto Canyon Rd we'll make a left and head east snaking through the remote canyon on its ultra curvy back road.

At 12:30ish, as the curves straighten out we'll arrive at our lunch destination.
Apricot Wood California BBQ
2985 Renzo Drive, Suite E, Patterson, CA 95363
http://apricotwood.com/
http://apricotwood.com/apricot-wood-food/
https://www.yelp.com/biz/apricot-wood-california-bbq-patterson

Once lunch is over, we'll head north on backroads or super slab as discussed and decided at lunch until we reach Patterson Pass Rd.

Patterson Pass Rd is another remote back road with non-stop twists and sweeps with a portion of single lane riding. This road was one of Jim's absolute local favorites and was the road in the last video Jim shared with us on the COG forum
COG Forum: http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=68081.msg563119#msg563119

At the end of Patterson Pass Rd we'll be back in Livermore where we'll break up for home. Of course, those that want can head home anywhere during the ride.

In all, it's about 3 hours of riding (not including the lunch stop).

In case of rain: If there as any rain on March 17 or 18, this ride will be postponed. If you have any questions check this page prior to leaving home on March 18.

The Route

The Meetup

JP's Patterson Pass video
! No longer available

Awesome! Come out and see some of Jim's roads. So very proud of this group and club.

Lot's of curves on Mines Road

_mg_3117.jpg

and Del Puerto Canyon too.

Join us for some great riding, good food and the very best company.

Was there a ride today?  It was raining all day yesterday, and raining again this morning.  So I didn't think it was still a go.

Hiddenmickey said:
Was there a ride today?  It was raining all day yesterday, and raining again this morning.  So I didn't think it was still a go.

The ride is in March

So no, there was no ride today  ;D  Hope you can make it on March 18th  :great:

(I just posted the pic today to help promote it, not realizing it was the 18th today too. The pic is from last spring)

WANDRNG said:
Hiddenmickey said:

The ride is in March

So no, there was no ride today  ;D  Hope you can make it on March 18th  :great:

(I just posted the pic today to help promote it, not realizing it was the 18th today too. The pic is from last spring)

Oh.  Duh.  March.  :-[

Just a touch over two weeks from now and we'll be riding the great curves of the Diablo Mountain Range.  Jim Pavlis' old riding routes.

Hope you plan to join us.

Kickstands up at 10:30am - Acro AM/PM at 863 Vasco Rd, Livermore

pavlis-route.jpg

Coming out of Del Puerto Canyon and road, just before reaching Patterson for chow.
_mg_3099.jpg

Wish I could go too! Looks to be a real fun day! Looking forward to the pictures!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

Tomorrow, Saturday March 18th - Pavlis Knows Curve ride through the verdant green hills of the Diablo Range near California's Bay Area.  Lots of sweeps and twisties with a stop for BBQ at lunch time.

Photo is from Thursday at the exit from Del Puerto Canyon Rd. - normally these hills are already starting to dry out and turn brown - but not this year
pavlis-ride-sample.jpg

Very sad to say I can't make it. I don't keep many e-mails in my inbox, but I still have Jim's e-mail offering to help me swap my front rotors. I only met him a few times, and he could be a cactus of a guy at times, but I still had a ton of respect for him. Have fun you guys!

Have fun y'all and don't forget to stop for a smoke break :D
I wanted to go for a ride today in Jim's memory but am having problems with my neck. :-(