• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

PCA mirror mounted light brackets are no more!

BigBrian2727

Training Wheels
Just a heads up.

Tried to order the PCA mirror mounted light brackets today. I was informed that they are now discontinued and there is no leftover stock.

I suppose I will have to come up with another way to mount the lights under the mirrors.

I made a wanted post but in case someone sees this, i'd take a set if someone wants to sell.

Just figured i'd give you guys a heads up as it is still on the site and you can order it but then they will call to inform you it's done for.

robertv said:
That's too bad. If you have time, you can go the DIY route like MtnRider and I did. http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/my-diy-aux-light-mirror-mounts/

There's also a guy doing a 3d printer mount but we have yet to hear back if he's doing this. http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/any-interest/

Honestly, the DIY route was easy and cheap, I think i spent less than $15-20. YMMV...

I'd really rather not go the DIY route as I dont have a lot of metal working tools, although yours looks very good.

Hopefully the 3d printed guy comes through.

DAMMIT!

I knew that was gonna happen.  I have been putting off buying a set of those for 3 years, as well as putting off my Aux light mounting/purchase for that same amount of time.

I knew I should have bought a set for JUST this occaision -- but $100 for that chuck of billet seemed so excessive.

:mad:

I'd say thanks for the info, but.....

gr

ghostrider990 said:
DAMMIT!

I knew that was gonna happen.  I have been putting off buying a set of those for 3 years, as well as putting off my Aux light mounting/purchase for that same amount of time.

I knew I should have bought a set for JUST this occaision -- but $100 for that chuck of billet seemed so excessive.

:mad:

I'd say thanks for the info, but.....

gr

Tell me about it!!

At least I snagged a set of Canyon Cages before MC Enterprises ran out!!!

I didn't use any metal working tools or drills, just crescent wrenches and allen keys. BTW, the mounts were door stops from hardware store. It's the base metal plate that is needed since it's already pre-drilled exactly for the 3 holes and the center hole mount.  I found the tip from the other forum <a href="http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22817.0">here</a>.

Obviously shop tools are necessary if you want to do this from scratch using a piece of metal or a large flat washer. I was hoping for that guy with the 3d printer to maybe make and sell his item but he's been MIA since December. You can also find other mounts like near the front fender, forks, or on the cages if you have 'em. I just prefer the higher mount which creates a better visibility of lights both to me and surrounding drivers.

Big Brian said:
I'd really rather not go the DIY route as I dont have a lot of metal working tools, although yours looks very good.

Hopefully the 3d printed guy comes through.

robertv said:
I didn't use any metal working tools or drills, just crescent wrenches and allen keys. BTW, the mounts were door stops from hardware store. It's the base metal plate that is needed since it's already pre-drilled exactly for the 3 holes and the center hole mount.  I found the tip from the other forum <a href="http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22817.0">here</a>.

Obviously shop tools are necessary if you want to do this from scratch using a piece of metal or a large flat washer. I was hoping for that guy with the 3d printer to maybe make and sell his item but he's been MIA since December. You can also find other mounts like near the front fender, forks, or on the cages if you have 'em. I just prefer the higher mount which creates a better visibility of lights both to me and surrounding drivers.

Hey that's pretty slick! I might just try this!

That is interesting, but you also gotta account for the canted angle. 

The pucks corrected for that, so the lights sat level.

One of the things that has kept me from buying or installing bigger lights, is that I never ride at night.
And if I do get caught out after dark, I try to stay on the major highways where big driving lights will simply blind other drivers.

:-X

gr

If someone could provide me with measurements, I am confident I could make these from either plastic or aluminium.

For work, I am an industrial supplier (bearings, electric motors, gearboxes, etc). We work closely with machine shops & fabricators.

Not that I am trying to steal PCA's design, I would just obviously like a set for myself.

If anyone would be so kind as to take measurements, I would be forever grateful.

Thank you!

Big Brian

You would not be stealing PCA's design, as I am the original developer of these mounts that were stolen from me. I will look to see if I still have the CNC program & bill of materials for them or at least dwgs you can work from. They are pretty complicated to make, as stock is machined to the part configuration and the counter sunk holes for the mounting screws to the mirror base, and threaded holes to mount the lights level require multiple operations/angles.  All metric of course. My machine shop made 2 fixtures for these angles which added operations and hence cost. The mounts were powder coated gloss black rather than anodized, as black anodize tends to get "purpleish" with age. 

I know owners think they are expensive (agreed), but are more complicated than they appear. They are a pretty darn good design. Shameless plug. HTH

ghostrider990 said:
That is interesting, but you also gotta account for the canted angle. 

The pucks corrected for that, so the lights sat level.

If you can still adjust the lights in two perpendicular directions what does that matter? The overpriced pucks were just for aesthetics because
people tend to think in up and down and left and right terms, but they actually aren't needed to aim the lights. They don't need to be level,
they just need to be aim-able. Personally as far as aesthetics goes I think they look better the closer you can get them to the mirrors,
dangling off the pucks just makes 'em look more like earrings.

^^ +1 ^^

Yes my thoughts as well since the MM10 lights I mounted can be adjusted in 2 axis. When riding especially on the curves and twisty's, its actually an advantage to point it outward for enhanced road visibility even in daylight or in shaded areas. I don't ride much at night but comes in handy when caught at twilight.

Larry_Buck_FL said:
Big Brian

You would not be stealing PCA's design, as I am the original developer of these mounts that were stolen from me. I will look to see if I still have the CNC program & bill of materials for them or at least dwgs you can work from. They are pretty complicated to make, as stock is machined to the part configuration and the counter sunk holes for the mounting screws to the mirror base, and threaded holes to mount the lights level require multiple operations/angles.  All metric of course. My machine shop made 2 fixtures for these angles which added operations and hence cost. The mounts were powder coated gloss black rather than anodized, as black anodize tends to get "purpleish" with age. 

I know owners think they are expensive (agreed), but are more complicated than they appear. They are a pretty darn good design. Shameless plug. HTH

That would be absolutely fantastic!

You've developed an excellently designed product!

Thank you!

With my mounts the lights are horizontal, level. This is important for incandescent and HID lights due to the configuration of the reflector.
With LED's, it's generally not as important. The longest range lights are still halogen or HID.

Larry_Buck_FL said:
With my mounts the lights are horizontal, level. This is important for incandescent and HID lights due to the configuration of the reflector.
With LED's, it's generally not as important. The longest range lights are still halogen or HID.

Any luck on finding the drawings?

In an attempt not to tread on anyone's toes I have made some mounts that mount under the mirror also.

Unsure what the PCA ones look like so have not copied theirs. Mine are a copy of a set that were originally designed and made by a fellow Australian who has given me permission to remake them as long as he is acknowledged for his original work.

Mine are not 3d print so are solid. They are highly UV and heat/cold stable (made from the same stuff Teflon is made from) and wont rust. As I said I am not here to tread on toes as I am aware of other 3d printed ones (only found this out today)

Long story short only made these for a few fellow riders here in Aus due to not be able to get anything here, had no intention on going further than that but it appears there is a big gap of affordable quality mounts for the 1400.

Photos attached for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 121
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 116
gPink said:
....and?

What's the story on the lights you have hanging from them?

They are a LED light supplied by an Aussie company. They call them C4 lights.

https://www.stedi.com.au/c-4-led-spot-light.html

that is their website. I have no affiliation with them except I bought a set of lights from them. I will say out of the hand full I tested these have blown what I expected out of the water

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 111
Whitey said:
.... I have made some mounts that mount under the mirror also.

I use these mounts on my 2010!  They are awesome. They are strong, robust and look like original equipment. The quality of the kits Whitey provides is 2nd to none.  They were straight forward to install.  I highly recommend them.

You can see them here: http://bit.ly/2HPrMfw

Bowyerv said:
Whitey said:
.... I have made some mounts that mount under the mirror also.

I use these mounts on my 2010!  They are awesome. They are strong, robust and look like original equipment. The quality of the kits Whitey provides is 2nd to none.  They were straight forward to install.  I highly recommend them.

You can see them here: http://bit.ly/2HPrMfw

thank you

gPink said:
S Smith said:
This COG Industry Member also makes Aux Light Mounts...

http://forum.cog-online.org/peterl-c14-auxiliary-light-mount-kit/

What's your point Mr. Smith? Are you saying that the OP here cannot talk about an item he has built without someone jacking the thread to shamelessly plug another forum subscribers product because he has paid the buck 2.98 to get listed as an industry member?
Gary

Not at all. Look back at the OP - it  stated a specific mount was no longer available.  I feel my post is on topic as any other discussing alternate mount options.

Okay, okay.`time to add my .02 it seems.

All kudos to Larry for his original design. PCA evidently made a quality product, but the attendant cost was such that not a few put the purchase off a bit too long.

I'm a retired engineer and a compulsive tinkerer. I farkled two C10's to the point of having to beef up their suspension. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!) My 2008 C14 doesn't LOOK all that modded- until I turn on the power and everyone standing in front of it has to reach for the sunscreen. Q-ships are fun.

I designed the original of 'my' mounts strictly as an exercise. I have never seen a PCA mount in person, but I did appreciate the minimalist aesthetic. I'd hand crafted several iterations out of various plastics, as I don't own any metalworking equipment since our big fire in 2015. A couple years back I got into the 3D printing world. It's an excellent way to prototype things quickly. And once the carbon-fiber composite filaments became available, it was possible to create parts that were both strong enough and sufficiently UV resistant that they could survive in a motorcycling environment. After testing on my own and a friends C14's, I posted to the Accessories forum to see if anyone would be interested if I made a few. The response was, to say the least, startling. My first half-dozen customers gave me a lot of great feedback, some on the basic design and some having to do with certain year/models. I incorporated all of these and sent everyone copies of what is now called "v2". Thus far everyone's response has been positive. I signed up as an 'Industry Member' to both support COG and to reach those who don't necessarily read the forum. Not to try and rule the world or to stifle anyone else's creativity.

I'm gratified that I've made a few folk happy. And I hope to have a couple other notions ready for unveiling to benefit the under-farkled in time for Christmas. Never expected to start a new business at my age, but I don't fish and nobody lets you do track days with your bags on!

Ride safe all,

Peter
Cobb, CA

Mr Smith is correct... this thread started off as a info thread reporting about a product that's no longer available!  With a couple folks chiming in they've used this or done that, and even mr buck setting the record straight on some things( thanks for all you do larry).

We're all free to make any suggestions on products regardless on who makes them, cog member, forum member or even someone from another country.  Maybe before you start slinging jabs about someone highjacking a topic, you go back and reread the entire thread.  Simply providing the information about another like product that's available isn't highjacking anything......its called sharing....

Join for the bike, stay for the people......

Konehead,

Thanks for the kind words.

I stopped making the light mounts after PCA pirated them. They were difficult to make on CNC equipment, requiring multiple setups and fixtures (read "cost"). Sales volume was low, and I guess PCA found that out too. IMHO, 3-D printing looks like a way to go, and I believe someone is doing that now.

Low sales volume is an issue with C-14 items, which makes the price higher.  I found this out with my C-14 "Tailbrights" and the highway pegs too. They were a good product, but many C-14 owners wanted tip-over bars which ruled my design out. I still get inquiry's for them and the light mounts.