• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Periodic Replacement Parts Question

danmcdermott

There are some parts listed in the service manual to be replaced every 3 or 4 years:
- Radiator Hoses and O-Rings
- Brake Hose and Pipe
- Rubber parts of brake master cylinder/caliper
- Rubber parts of clutch master cylinder/slave cylinder

Is this overkill or necessary?

I never changed any of those rubber parts in the 10 years I owned my first 08 that was totaled in a rear end at 174,000 miles. I think if you keep the brake fluid fresh the brake and clutch parts will stay good.

Lather,

Thank you for your experience and I am sorry about getting rear ended, and to that end I hope you walked away unscathed. I regularly flush my hydraulics and coolant. I usually operate on the "if it's not broke don't fix it" principle, however I have had several "saves" with timely replacing aged components.

I appreciate your experience and thank you for sharing.

Dan

Thanks Dan. I am sure I posted here about my accident in 2017 but it is worth retelling. The Toyota Corolla that hit me was also totaled but miraculously I did not even go down and did not have a scratch or even a bruise.

I replaced my radiator hoses about 5 years ago, bike was 7 years or so old then. I primarily travel on it so it seemed like cheap insurance, if I rode mostly local I wouldn't bother. Now going on 13 years & 241,000 miles it still has all the other original bits.