• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Phillips H4 bulb vs Evitek LED Headlight bulb

mounty in nc

I'm looking at upgrading my headlights but don't want to go HID. So far I've come up with these 2 options: Philips Vision+130 X-treme H4 Bulbs from Murph's and Evitek LED Headlight Bulbs for Cars Motorcycles- Hi/Lo Beam H4 9003 on Amazon. Here are link's to both. Any help/suggestions would be great.

http://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_28&products_id=304

https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Evitek-6500K-Easy-Installed-4500LM/dp/B017M566T4/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1452431063&sr=1-2&keywords=g6+led+headlight

I've been running the Evitek for about a full season now, and I'm pretty happy with them.
On the advrider forum, look in the "equipment" category for a guy named Spiderman302.
He's an LED junkie and has provided a huge knowledge base on LED's. I'd hate to guess how much he has spent, both $$ and time,
keeping up with improvements. He even modified some and the manufacturer actually incorporated his design.
Since I put the Eviteks in, I haven't been keeping up with him, so by now there might be one that's even better.

Philips and others get the extra light by running the bulbs hotter, shortening life. Also, the percentages that they use are a bit of hype.

I've used the Evitek for quite a while now, having purchased directly from Evitek before Amazon availability. I ran it in my gen 1 KLR and the c-10. Good stuff. They are a bit fiddly to mount, though. But then you're done messing with them for somewhere around 30-50,000 hours.

Thanks for the thread, guys.  I've been playing with the Speedmetal (Cycle Gear) LED for a while.  Was happy for a couple months, then an LED burned out.  Found replacements, soldered one in, but now the low beam is just a thin line.  Just ordered the Evitek on Amazon, and I'll be able to fit both the C10s for less cash than the single LED cost me before!

I already had to fiddle quite a bit to fit the previous LED, so maybe my bike is already primed for the Evitek...then learn from my mistakes & get Lisa's bike right  :nananana:

bikerhawk said:
Thanks for the thread, guys.  I've been playing with the Speedmetal (Cycle Gear) LED for a while.  Was happy for a couple months, then an LED burned out.  Found replacements, soldered one in, but now the low beam is just a thin line.  Just ordered the Evitek on Amazon, and I'll be able to fit both the C10s for less cash than the single LED cost me before!

I already had to fiddle quite a bit to fit the previous LED, so maybe my bike is already primed for the Evitek...then learn from my mistakes & get Lisa's bike right  :nananana:
You mean her bike was not the guinea pig? [runs and ducks]

I use an LED that has a similar design (as far as the placement of the LEDs go) to the ones you have.  But it has flexible metal heat sinks.  Makes fitment a bit easier.  Also, the H4 "collar" detaches and can be clipped in place, then the LED unit goes in with a bayonet type mount.  Makes replacement (if necessary) easy.

I love the ADV forum for the sheer knowledge base that covers a bunch of subjects. Thanks for that individual...seems to be focused on LEDs. I have run the Cyclops for a long time and had one that went bad in the componentry. They fixed it right away and asked no questions. Work with my LED specific Kisan Modualtors during the day. The evitech is interesting and I will include it when guys ask me about the Cyclops or LEDs in general. This thread discusses finer points in general http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/new-g7-h4-led-bulb-with-a-shield-by-genssi-iii-elite-is-almost-there-buyer-beware.1134739/

Outback Jon said:
I use an LED that has a similar design (as far as the placement of the LEDs go) to the ones you have.  But it has flexible metal heat sinks.  Makes fitment a bit easier.  Also, the H4 "collar" detaches and can be clipped in place, then the LED unit goes in with a bayonet type mount.  Makes replacement (if necessary) easy.

The Eviteks also use a bayonet collar. I've heard the heat sink ones run quite warm, how long have you been running them? Of course, with the fan cooled ones you are depending on that fan not going TU.

SteveJ. said:
Outback Jon said:
The Eviteks also use a bayonet collar. I've heard the heat sink ones run quite warm, how long have you been running them? Of course, with the fan cooled ones you are depending on that fan not going TU.
I think for two seasons now.  10k+ miles, probably.  And the second one that came in the kit is currently in use in a 98 Forester.  The flexible mesh seems to give a lot of surface area for cooling, though I don't think I've ever reached in and felt it after a ride.  I'll have to do that. 

I had another set that used fans.  They were in the Forester for a while until one started strobing.  The light pattern on the one I use in the bike now is better, but they were quite good in the car housing.  And they kept both the high and low LEDs on when you switched to high beam, which was WONDERFUL on the bike.  But the high beam wasn't quite good enough for me on the bike.  (Again, in the car housing, they're great.)

Outback Jon said:
SteveJ. said:
Outback Jon said:
I think for two seasons now.  10k+ miles, probably.  And the second one that came in the kit is currently in use in a 98 Forester.  The flexible mesh seems to give a lot of surface area for cooling, though I don't think I've ever reached in and felt it after a ride.  I'll have to do that. 

I had another set that used fans.  They were in the Forester for a while until one started strobing.  The light pattern on the one I use in the bike now is better, but they were quite good in the car housing.  And they kept both the high and low LEDs on when you switched to high beam, which was WONDERFUL on the bike.  But the high beam wasn't quite good enough for me on the bike.  (Again, in the car housing, they're great.)

Thank ya sir. It's always nice to get more info to help confuse educate folks. :great: :beerchug:

Outback Jon said:
Jon;

The lights you are describing sound a lot like the  ADVmonster H4 Rev 3 LED Headlight I'm thinking about trying in my C10.  They are a bit pricey from ADVmoster.  Where did you get the ones you are using?

COG-528 said:
Outback Jon said:
Jon;

The lights you are describing sound a lot like the  ADVmonster H4 Rev 3 LED Headlight I'm thinking about trying in my C10.  They are a bit pricey from ADVmoster.  Where did you get the ones you are using?
Ebay.  About $35 a pair last I checked.

Installed the Evitek on my C-10.  Loved it - definitely a huge improvement when riding at night.  I was considering adding auxillary lights, but for me found the LED to be sufficient.  Ran it for a season - just sold the bike.  I still have the second one, hope to install it in my '78 Goldwing, but that headlight bucket is full of spaghetti, so may have to look for one with the mesh heatsink instead of the fan.  No issue in the C-10 fairing. 

COG-528 said:
Have you got a link to the ebay seller.
Bought it too long ago.  But search for H4 LED headlight and you'll get quite a few (hundreds and hundreds) of hits.  Then scroll through until you find one that looks like it.  Looking at them for a while, I realized that there are only a few different designs.  And I suspect that there are only a few actual manufacturers, anyway. 

Anyway, here's a link to one that looks like the one I'm currently using:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Kia-2500LM-Cree-Headlight-Dual-Beam-HB2-9003-Super-Bright-All-in-One-LED/252539279383

And this is a slightly newer design I may try next:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-6000K-High-Power-H4-100W-10000LM-CREE-LED-Headlight-Kit-Hi-Low-Beam-Bulbs-/252295580117

Or something like this might be my next try:  (Can't find this design with the soft heat sinks yet.)
www.ebay.com/itm/120W-12000LM-CREE-LED-9003-H4-Headlight-Kit-High-Low-Bulbs-White-6K-High-Power-/191854032989

The designs are getting interesting. 

From what I've read on ADVRider there have been a few versions of this design with the R3 (REV 3) being the latest and offering an improved light pattern over the previous versions.  It looks like I can buy a pair on ebay for $50 vs a single lamp from ADVmonster for $75.  The only readily noticeable difference seems to be the color temperature.  Ebay versions are 6000K while the ADVmonster is 5700k color temperature.  I think the 5700k color temperature is preferable but the price savings might override the performance benefit of the lower color temperature.

Do you have any photos showing the beam pattern you are getting with the Hoshi H4 in the C10 headlight?

I can take a picture of it in my shop tonight. She's not able to be rolled around right now. She's sitting about 15' away from the front door in the shop on the center stand.

I bought a set of two off ebay for my connie and are still working awesome. $20

Attachments

• 0FA822DC-77F0-4725-AA06-CC5A6062D1E7.jpeg
    0FA822DC-77F0-4725-AA06-CC5A6062D1E7.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 120