• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Phils Farkels Luggage Racks, going out of business: END of 2023

philipintexas

Scooter
Industry Vendor
I’ve been selling my luggage racks for the GTR1400 & Versys-1000 since 2008 but the time has come to quit. I’ve only increased prices once in 15 years but shipping rates keep rising and material costs have doubled. There are cheaper plastic racks out now and cheap trumps quality.
When my current inventory sells out I won’t be making more.
Available alone or with mounting kits for Givi Monokey & Monolock trunks. I also have some T-nuts for attaching other brand mounting plates and a few sets of adjustable rail sets that allow optional mounting locations for racks.
Shipping is still $10 within CONUS.

Last edited:
Phil, didnt u use to make a grab bar for the c14, to assist with putting the big girl.on the center stand? Or am I confused, as usual....?

Phil, didnt u use to make a grab bar for the c14, to assist with putting the big girl.on the center stand? Or am I confused, as usual....?
No, I make an EZ-LIFT for the Gold Wing 2001-2017 that helps raise that 900Lb. beast. Unfortunately the Kawa. CS arm is a different diameter so it doesn’t work on the C-14.

Someone actually fitted my EZ-LIFT to their C-14 but I don’t recommend it as the attachment fits a different diameter CS.
I’ll bet it would really help as the C-14 is not exactly light..

Ronnie at Ronnie's Highway Pegs makes a lift handle for the C14, I don't have any experience with it though. Too easy to just use the passenger grab handle.

Two different things, A lift handle is for convenience, my Gold Wing EZ-LIFT doubled the leverage so one’s weight does most of the work.

I'm sorry to hear it, Phil, but understand the challenges and I'm glad I was able to get one a couple of years ago! It's a nice piece of kit, very well made and has held up well so far over thousands of miles. I'm sure it'll outlast the bike.

Thank you for making a very high quality product and not just pivoting to selling an inferior product, like many manufacturers are doing to combat rising costs.

Cheers!

I wouldn't recommend fitting the EZ-LIFT. That's how I used to lift my 09 GTR. and it ended up breaking the weld on the hanger from the rear subframe. A welder may have been able to fix it if it was taken off the bike, but I just bought a used one off eBay and got Kawasaki to fit it for me.

I wouldn't recommend fitting the EZ-LIFT. That's how I used to lift my 09 GTR. and it ended up breaking the weld on the hanger from the rear subframe. A welder may have been able to fix it if it was taken off the bike, but I just bought a used one off eBay and got Kawasaki to fit it for me.
Any pics of that?

Would you please clarify your comments please..My EZ-LIFT is specifically made for Gold Wing GL-1800’s. You used that term to refer to a CENTER-STAND HANDY-LIFT which is for the Kawasaki GTR.
I want everyone to understand If any damage was caused to your GTR-1400, it wasn't caused by my EZ-LIFT. Two totally different things. Thanks.

Last edited:
Bummer to hear but I really like my rack on the C-14. Thank you for your help and great service.
Ron

Would you please clarify your comments please..My EZ-LIFT is specifically made for Gold Wing GL-1800’s. You used that term to refer to a CENTER-STAND HANDY-LIFT which is for the Kawasaki GTR.
I want everyone to understand If any damage was caused to your GTR-1400, it wasn't caused by my EZ-LIFT. Two totally different things. Thanks.
No Phill it wasn't caused by your EZ-LIFT.. It was caused by another type, but by lifting the GTR in that way, the weld broke causing me to get another rear subframe.. Sorry if I explained it wrong. Each to their own how they put it on the center stand, just thought I'd mention what happened to me.. I just use the rear grab handles now to pull it up

Hi Phil! Sorry to hear that you are getting out of the racket. (Sorry, bad pun.) I bought one of your aluminum racks several years back and I am very glad that I did. It is a quality piece of kit and has served me well. It was a pleasure dealing with you and I remain grateful that you went the extra mile to make sure everything turned out well. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Although I never purchased Phil's products for my own reasons having nothing to do with Phil in anyway. I can say that I have sat back and watched Phil offer a quality product (judging by testimonials) to folks who desired said products. I have watched Phil treat people with respect as he always tried to assist and help folks with information and such on use of said products. Yes a lot of times, other folks had the answers before Phil could respond. But that's what we have always been about here at COG. Folks helping each other.
In my opinion, Phil has run his little venture with integrity and respect. He has helped many a person by providing quality products, knowledge and a respectful demeanor towards others. Although I'm saddened to hear of Phil's decision to cease operations. I totally understand his reasoning and respect it. As such, I only want to wish him well and say thank you for all he has done for others, even if I wasn't directly a recipient. Well done sir and again, thank you.

Hey there, long time very happy customer, first time poster (to this subject.) So, did I miss something here? Phil said in the OP that he is not going to make the rack plates. Or, are you closing down your whole operation?

Worried minds want to know...

Gilbysan, aka - Fat Ninja

I have a good supply of my racks on-hand. Enough to probably last the rest of this year. When they sell I won’t be making more. I may still continue making my GL-1800 EZ-LIFT but time & demand will dictate that.

I’ve been selling my luggage racks for the GTR1400 & Versys-1000 since 2008 but the time has come to quit. I’ve only increased prices once in 15 years but shipping rates keep rising and material costs have doubled. There are cheaper plastic racks out now and cheap trumps quality.
When my current inventory sells out I won’t be making more.
Available alone or with mounting kits for Givi Monokey & Monolock trunks. I also have some T-nuts for attaching other brand mounting plates and a few sets of adjustable rail sets that allow optional mounting locations for racks.
Shipping is still $10 within CONUS.
Hello,
How could I order 2 of these with monokey mounting kits?
Thank you kindly!
Julian

Sad to see that you are not going to be making anymore of these awesome racks. I love mine and keep my v56 mounted on it. I have even considered looking into finding a way to retrofit one of these racks to my hayabusa so I can get rid of the plastic piece of junk I currently use on it.

I have Phil's rack. It is extremely well made. Sad to see that you are packing it in. I totally understand but it is sad. Glad I decided to get a top box before you shut it down.

Very sad to see one of our best vendors close the doors. I totally get it that money/time/commitment pressures all come to bear on us all sooner or later.

I’m happy to have done business with Phil and have enjoyed his first class products and customer service/support.

Phil, you are one of the good ones. I hope for only good things for you and I hope you’ll peek in on us all from time to time.

Godspeed,
~Jeff