• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Pirelli Angel GT A Spec vs Angel GT 2 A spec input

jerdurr

Alright guys, I surfed all over the internet, and could not find a comparison between the first gen and the new GT 2 A spec Pirelli Angels. Reason being is, I tried buying the first gen type, and they are not available at my provider, but they offered the GT2 for a 20 dollar difference.

For me it is not so much about the money, but more about the grip, ride, etc. I loved the original Angels, I wonder if I would love the 2's too.

Anyone who has experienced them both? Thoughts!!?? Thanks!!

Jer :great:

This is a bit hyperbolic, but in my experience its rare that a newer Rev of a Tire is worse than it's predecessor.

I'm a bit reluctant to pay the extra price for the newer Angel GT, but once the older version disappears i'll not hesitate to try it.

Tires are a VERY VERY subjective topic.  Truly, the only REAL way to decide whether they work for you, your setup, and your riding style, is to buy a set and put some miles on 'em.

I typically put on a new set of rubber every year.  Compare that to Car Tires. 

gr

I think all the sport-touring tires are about equal, except in price.  When the rebates come again like they have in the past (hopefully!), the spread in cost becomes quite a bit.

Even if you only want Pirelli, the cost difference between the Angel GT and the Angel GT II, makes me wonder if you're getting the bang for your buck with the newer tire.  The GT II lists for $228.79 at Revzilla.  The GT lists for $179.99.  That's about a 21% difference in cost.  Is the newer tire 21% better?  Or are you paying for a name and marketing hype?

The Dunlop Roadsmart III is an excellent tire and has a rebate.  That tire is $187, vs $229 for the Angel GT II.  And...there's a $60 rebate if you buy in a store and get any kind of maintenance done...even if it is the mounting and balancing.  So it is $157 vs $229.  Is the Pirelli really that much better?

Chris

I agree with all I've read so far. The reviews online are not really unbiased, nor pushes the tires to the limits us riders like to push em (no officer, I wasn't leaning at 130 mph, lol).

I want to know if someone has used them both, and how did he or she find them. A bunch of people speak about the groove in the middle of the tire and how it catches on grooved pavement and makes the ride absolute shit. Plenty of grooved hwy's where I travel to, so I thought i would ask before pulling the trigger. Besides, the GT 2 front tires are single compound, which I found interesting. I wonder if the first gen GT are single or dual compound on the front.

Thanks guys! :-D

Jer

I thought both front AND rear are using dual/bi-compounds. At least that what direct from Pirelli is showing >>
https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/motorcycle/all-tyres/sheet/angel-gt

I've gone through 4 sets of 1st gen Angel GT A-specs and agree the mileage and performance is outstanding! But mid-season last year I had to try the PR4 GT's for a first try just to get a feel and so far I've been happy. Only time will tell on mileage and reliability. Currently I have on order the Angel GT 2s A-spec so until then when I wear out the PR4-GTs I won't have feedback yet. Just waiting till I get my ride back and this corona19 crap is done.  :mad: 

I've been through 5 sets of Angel GT1s.

I've always used the A-Spec and get 12k-15k ish miles out of them.

Rear is worn more than the front, but not enough difference to only replace one.

Last two sets have been installed a couple of months prior to Doug Re's track day at Jennings.

I'll just say that I can ride pretty hard, no where near Doug's abilities, and no where near the tire's capabilities.

I bought my first set because of the deal of buy a rear and Pirelli will send you a front for free.

Needless to say, I've never missed the Michelin PS2 I had at the time.

Me personally, I'll keep buying the GT1 if there is that kind of price difference to the GT2.

But eventually I'm sure I'll have to move to the GT2 as I'm sure the GT1 will go EOL.