• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

PIT BULL TRAILER RESTRAINT SYSTEM

RICHKAWI

I've been looking into the Pit Bull trailer restraint system for my C14. My search brought up posts from a few years ago.
Can anyone share their more recent experiences?

I purchased the Pit Bull system after I saw my friends trailer loaded with 5 sport bikes on a trip to Florida from Wisconsin. There was no movement. So I bought the system for my KTM (now sold) along with my new trailer back in April. I couldn't be happier. I've also had the C14 in there along with the Ktm. Along with no movement, its very easy to load the bikes with one person. And there are no straps to get in the way (as shown in the C14 pic) or come loose.. Another added bonus is if a tire goes down it has no effect.

Attachments

• 20210410_144507[3834].jpg
    20210410_144507[3834].jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 209
  • 20210909_211856[3838].jpg
    20210909_211856[3838].jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 208
Nothing else is required. The KTM had 3 inches of clearance from handlebar to wall and never moved, at all. The C14 cut that clearance down to 1.5 inches so to be safe I cut a 2 x 12 to fit between the wall and edge of front tire.

Thats the point of the trailer restraint system, nothing else required. And loading is so easy: the pit bull bracket rolls along behind the bike and rolls into the docking bracket that's bolted to the floor.

Considering the chocks, straps, and other miscellaneous stuff I’ve spent for, it looks like about a wash over time to me.

Has anyone tried a "through the front axle" tie down type? I trailer bikes for friends and family whenever asked. (This happens when you have a dedicated Bike trailer) I trailered my son's C14 home Winnipeg Manitoba from Calgary Alberta in winter when he purchased it. Feeding the straps over the triple clamps was a pain. It seems that ratchet straps to either side of the front axle (if there was a bar through the axle with loops) would work in conjunction with rear straps on either side. Any Thoughts?

Viper, I built a system that uses a thru the axle set up.
I prefer front and rear attachment, so I worked out a way to install it thru both the front and the rear axles.
After I worked that out, I added anchor points on the trailer. {to attach turnbuckles}
(The turnbuckles pull down on spindles at each end of the axles)
Works great and the bikes absolutely don't move..

So far I've done set ups that pass thru the axle for a C-14, FJR, and Triumph Tiger.
I also drilled and tapped the ends of the axle of my C-10 so that it works the same.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
This is the system on my bike. We've done this on about 5 different trailers and each time the system was built a little differently.
The Pieces that go thru the axles were refined and strengthened. and we discovered less expensive Turnbuckles etc that work just as well as the EXTRA heavy-duty ones I used here.
1641858576346.png

Last edited:
Surprised no ones commented on how fast that red bike looks on The trailer..... insert evil grin here......

I love this tie down system. It makes so much more sense...

Ted had a good idea here,

I’ve hauled my c14 about three thousand miles with his system.

Two key points I found. 1) use two good turnbuckles on the front. 2) secure the turnbuckles with a wire (to each other across the tire) so they can’t vibrate loose.

Works great!

I keep tellin' ya Ron. Use Bungie Straps.
"Bungie Straps"

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Konehead, your right!
The RED bike "does" look fast,,,,, even strapped down on a trailer. <Evil Grin>

Last edited:
I admit that the Pit Bull is faster.
To me, it's not quite as secure. (as only 1 end is being held down)

& You know I have to over-engineer everything. (Can't help myself) 🥴
On the chock;
On my 1 bike trailer I built a wheel chock into the trailer frame that grips sides of the front wheel.
On my 2 bike, Roberts, and Jim's trailer's we used the Frugal/COG HF Chocks.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I guess Viper is gone. No posts since his question.

Last edited:
Cuda, even with the chock, u still need to secure the bike down. Nobody transports using just a front chock.

I'm a fan of ratchet straps, I've only trailered to track days, I was amazed how simple and secure the Condor is.

This is the system on my bike. We've done this on about 5 different trailers and each time the system was built a little differently.
The Pieces that go thru the axles were refined and strengthened. and we discovered less expensive Turnbuckles etc that work just as well as the EXTRA heavy-duty ones I used here.
View attachment 31272
CR,

Could you please send\post details about the Axle parts and how the restraint ends are build?

Thanks,
DS

Hard to give all details. Here is a photo of the front/rear spools/axles.
The front is the larger one.

Attachments

• 1643755171387.png
    1643755171387.png
    886.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Here is a discussion where I was considering manufacturing these for sale, but there was not enough interest to invest the $100's of dollars required.

Also T-Rex Racing makes a similar set that would work.
I think is their set is cheaper than I could produce them.
https://www.t-rex-racing.com/Trex-Concours-14-Front-Rear-axle-spools-p/n62-12fsrscombo.htm

Their turnbuckles;
NOTE: It would take a little tinkering to find alternative turnbuckles that could work (that are cheaper than buying their turnbuckles).
But, theirs are very good.

Their entire set up..

Last edited: