• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Plan and invite for rear wheel antilock brake project.

lmckusic

I am going to start a kind of slow garage mechanic project to find anti lock rear brake components for the 1000 CC Concours motorcycle.

My bike is 20 years old and I consider fuel problems are solved well enough. The bike is still ready and willing to go 90 anytime except for the California CHP sneaking up behind me. That leaves the rear brake and it's ability to lock up the rear wheel as a point of concern. Even at 45 mph, a both brakes full on emergency stop can result in the rear wheel skidding and getting a little sideways. If the rear of the bike has swung several inches out of the line of travel due to the skidding rear tire, then you have a high side flip possibility if you let off the rear brake and the rear tire grips the road. If the rear of the bike is no longer in line with front tire when the rear tire begins to grip the road. the frame of the bike begins to rotate. If the rider holds on to the handlebars then he gets pulled over too.

Project step 1. Call a nearby motorcycle salvage place and ask of there is a C14 being scrapped out.
Project step 2. Read a Kawasaki parts drawing for the C14 and see if I can identify the complete ABS parts and prices.
I see rear brake calipers at $356 but I can't figure out the rest of the C14 ABS
Project step 3. Make a measured drawing of my Suzuki 1250 ABS rear brakes when I take the bike apart for new tires in a month or so.
Project step 4. See if I can lash up an electronic workbench rotation sensor transmitter to test ABS with engine off.
Project step 5. Make a measured drawing of my Kawasaki C10 rear brakes. Determine if there are Kawasaki ABS parts that I can buy from a parts house that will bolt on and work. Try for $1000 retail.
Project step 5. Determine if there is an integrated caliper with ABS or must I buy an ABS and hoses and wires? Getting ABS at a popular price for bikes means there has to be an integrated ABS caliper. If it can be found it would be almost a bolt-on and go solution.

Attachments

• usingconnietodocumentcloudsnearmtshasta_8-6-2019DSC_7382.JPG
    usingconnietodocumentcloudsnearmtshasta_8-6-2019DSC_7382.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 90
I invite anybody working on the same problem to tell me what they have worked out.

Could somebody with a C14 ABS post a wordy list of names, part numbers, and photos of the 'ABS pieces?

Does anybody in our group have any contact ability with a Kawasaki motorcycle engineer. So we could cross the language, culture, liability fear and business secrecy barrier?

Last edited:
This has already been done by a member here on the front and rear of a C10. He describes all you need. Do a site search.

I have been searching E bay for parts per Freddy's recommendations. I want to do it for under 3C by frugal shopping. My winter project maybe. Good hunting & good luck!

Napa, an American auto parts business is beginning to carry generic ABS anti-lock brake parts. For instance, a device that looks like a one wheel ABS brake actuator shows up as Part #: UP 570085 for about $192 plus a $60 core charge.

Looking at the image, there is a Red and a Green brake line connection. There is about 3 wires visible in the power connector. The device is held together with 4 hexagon cap screws. One end of the device has a brake bleeder and it looks like a 3/4" diameter piston cylinder, and the end is closed by a plug with a hex head.The other end of the device has three wires of 16 or 18 gage from a plastic connector, covered in 3/8" black plastic sleeve going to an internally sealed plastic part that might be a solenoid in the metal body. It appears there is a square boss on one side of the device. The device may be held by a spring or flat tab into a square cut hole on the body of the electronic controller.

The $200 part looks like a pressure relief device and it does not have the electronic control portion of the ABS.

Also on Napa, I saw another rebuilt ABS in the $220 range that clearly had two pressure relief solenoids and it also clearly had a short connector cable ending in a 12 mm x 36 mm plug with water exclusion corrugations. Part #: UP 570072

Further looking on Napa results in finding rebuilt ABS control modules.

I recently visited a Kawasaki dealer and I tried to look at current Kawasaki motorcycles. The bodywork prevented me from getting a clear view of the modern ABS plumbing and wiring. Next month I probably will replace the tires on my 1250 Suzuki ABS and then I will measure and photograph the ABS components. That will narrow down which Napa brake parts match in size.

There is one Harley Davidson youtube video on anti-lock brakes. There is also a youtube video by a Swedish (or Danish?) fellow who made an anti-lock brake device for use on a bicycle. The author is an engineering student and the video shows his experimentation at speeding up the brake actuator.

I am hoping to avoid skidding the Connie by setting up some electronics to emulate the signal coming from the wheel sensors.