• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Please Register for the Wildflower Ride

Okay, I'm in!  Trying to make the most of my $37 COG investment.

I assume as we get closer, there will be comms about meet-ups for the ride there, etc.  I'm a noob and this will be my first COG event, so I have no idea how it will all work.  But I'm looking forward to it!

Jeff in TX said:
Okay, I'm in!  Trying to make the most of my $37 COG investment.

I assume as we get closer, there will be comms about meet-ups for the ride there, etc.  I'm a noob and this will be my first COG event, so I have no idea how it will all work.  But I'm looking forward to it!
Hey Jeff,
You can meet up with me somewhere if you like.  I'm almost on your way.  OR you can maybe trailer up with Ted who lives real close to ya.  He doesn't like to ride too much. ~duck~      :rotflmao:

Jeff, Jim,,, welcome to the event.

Ok, I have to admit it. Yes, I'm a sinner. I trailer to the events.  :16:
Excuse; Somebody has to have a vehicle there for when Rev breaks down.

Rev on the other hand does "not" trailer to the events. 
He has his wife follow him in a suppport vehicle,,
    and I bring parts, tools, tow rope, and trailer for the inevitable...(Rev Break down).

Rev, I might suprize you this time. I might ride to Hunt.... (It's doubtful,,, but I might!)
If I do, can my wife ride with yer wife?  :sign0085:

Oh noooo, ferget I sed that.    :41:
Just realized,,,, If they rode together, they's have hours to talk about us!!

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
If I do, can my wife ride with yer wife?  :sign0085:

Oh noooo, ferget I sed that.    :41:
Just realized,,,, If they rode together, they's have hours to talk about us!!

Ride safe, Ted

My wife will not be making any events this year.  She starts a new job tomorrow (Thank you Lord) and she won't get any time off.  >:D

And yes, my bike breaking down really may be establishing a SC tradition, but I loves my tradition.  :)

Big Bend 2008 - Threw a rod enroute.  Returned to Kerrville, assembled the Torch bike with parts from the turbo (all plastics, luggage, seat, footpegs) and made the ride without further incident.

Wildflower 2008 - Trailered the broken Turbo bike to the event for a couple of hours as Saturday evening as I had to leave to work in
Yorktown that night.  Next week replaced engine.

Frisco 2008 - Hydrolock in the hotel parking lot necessitates a crab rebuild in the cold and wind.

Big Bend 2009 - A log manifold O-ring gives up somewhere near Presidio and requires a mad thrash in the motel parking lot in Alpine.

Wildflower 2009 - Struck down by another Connie on the way to the Lodge.

Big Bend 2010 - New job, couldn't make both SC rides.

Wildflower 2010 - Freshly EFI-ed and rode WITHOUT support vehicle and without incident from El CAmpo to Hunt 250 miles.  At Hunt let Ted ride the bike 1 mile and it broke.  FIxed it and let him ride it 1 mile and it broke. Fixed it and rode it all weekend and back to El Campo without incident.

Big Bend 2011 - Still couldn't get time for both rides.

Wildflower 2011 - Wife wanted to come so I threw the Turbo in the Tundra and came to save fuel.  Bike was running fairly well.  Ted looks at bike and does some silly sign and bike dies.  Get her going again and does OK for the rest of the ride, but not really running well.

Big Bend 2012 - Cannot take off for both rides AND the National so Big Bend is a no go.

Wildflower 2012 - Turbo bike is now Ted proofed and champin' at the bit.

If everything goes too well though I can turn up the boost.  That's bound to break sumpin.  :06:

One thing is for sure:  I'm not letting Ted anywhere near my bike.

Hey, does everyone hotel for the Wildflower or are there campers, or both?  I'm partial to camping but no problem with hotels, either.  I'll go with the flow.  What's normal, I mean other than the Ted danger?

Jeff in TX said:
One thing is for sure:  I'm not letting Ted anywhere near my bike.

.  What's normal, I mean other than the Ted danger?

Ahhhh Grasshopper....you learn quickly! ;D

There's campgrounds along the river but I have not stayed in any.

You should be able to search for one near Hunt TX or perhaps the more erudite in these matters will chime in!

Welcome to COG and I am looking forward to meeting you.

Craig

Jeff,,,,, you don't have to worry as I see you "too" will be on an 03. "Best Year", "Look" Proof, Fastest Color!  :08:

My "Look" is greatly over stated by these meer mortals.  :deadhorse:
Actually it is kinda puny.
It (the "Look") only works to break Connie's that are in an inferior state of repair. (Such as Rev's).  :rotflmao:
And I do admit that on 2 occasions it has successfully made Craig fall off his bike (with his luvly bride on the back).
    (Once he blamed it on a car backing into him ,and the other time he blamed a deer)  ;)

Some camp each year during Wildflower, and camping by the River is probably great,,,,
but I highly recommend staying at the River Inn.  (Particularly if your bringing a Wife/Girlfriend).

Each Room is Privately Owned and is decorated by the Room Owner.
Partially because of this, and also because of the River Inn site,  the River Inn is a favorite of the Wifes.
Now, don't get me wrong. The River Inn is not a Luxury Inn. But it is interesting..

If you really want a Camping "experience",,,, go to the BiG Bend Ride with us in March.
Since they said yer a Grasshopper,,,, I'll allow you camp at Halfcow Ranch...
I assure you it will be a REAL Camping Experience!!!
Go to that discussion for more Details...

By the way, If I were you,,, I wouldn't let them call me a Grasshopper.
    Ya see, they take a simple thing (Such as my "Look") and blow it completely out of proportion.
      They also lie a LOT about Halfcow, and Craig still blames me for him falling off his Connie in the Parking Lot.

Rev used to go to the Big Bend Ride with us,,, but he's never had the nerve to stay at Halfcow... (Wimp)  :p
This year he's not going at all.
Craig does go each year. In fact he puts on the Big Bend Ride, but he too hasn't experienced a nght at Halfcow..... (Wimp II)  :p

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
And I do admit that on 2 occasions it has successfully made Craig fall off his bike (with his luvly bride on the back).
    (Once he blamed it on a car backing into him ,and the other time he blamed a deer)  ;)

By the way, If I were you,,, I wouldn't let them call me a Grasshopper.
    Ya see, they take a simple thing (Such as my "Look") and blow it completely out of proportion.
      They also lie a LOT about Halfcow, and Craig still blames me for him falling off his Connie in the Parking.

Rev used to go to the Big Bend Ride with us,,, but he's never had the nerve to stay at Halfcow... (Wimp)  :p
This year he's not going at all.
Craig does go each year. In fact he puts on the Big Bend Ride, but he too hasn't experienced a nght at Halfcow..... (Wimp II)  :p

Ride safe, Ted

Ted.....I hit the deer at 70 and DID NOT GO DOWN.....ask Bob Wilde he was right behind me and hard on the brakes to avoid hitting the remains.

I understand that you are having a Senor' (sic) Moment........I seem to recall an undocumented Connie drop last year at the WF ride....let's see....who was that..................................Oh Yeah

Now I remember! :))

gr33nman

kv5e said:
I understand that you are having a Senor' (sic) Moment........I seem to recall an undocumented Connie drop last year at the WF ride....let's see....who was that..................................Oh Yeah
gr33nman

Actually, that was Big Bend...Senor (sic) #2... :p

:-*

;D

BigJoeVA68 said:
kv5e said:
gr33nman

Actually, that was Big Bend...Senor (sic) #2... :p

:-*

;D

BAAAAWAAAAHHHHH - so there was more than one by Ted?
:D

I think there is camping in Ingram but that would still require the 30 minute drive in the dark through deer heaven to get back to your tent from the River Inn.  Someone seems to do it every year though.

Wildflower,,, never happened.... It's a figment of yer imagination....  :sign0103:

At Big Bend/River Road,,,, I admit it, I (and my bride) fell off the bike...
As I drove by, Big Joe gave me His version of "The Look".    :88:

I thought he was "in RUT" and I fell down trying to get away!!!    :29:

Ride safe, Ted

I snagged one of the hotel rooms today...chose a studio since I'm one-up.  The 1-BR was the same price ($85) and she had one of those.  If I heard her correctly, I think she may only have one or two more rooms reserved for our group so it might be worth a call for anyone considering the hotel stay.  I could be wrong about that, but I think that's what I heard.

BigJoeVA68 said:
connie_rider said:
As I drove by, Big Joe gave me His version of "The Look".    :88:  I thought he was "in RUT" and I fell down trying to get away!!!    :29: 

OMGawd,,,,,,,, THERE it is again!!!!! Everyone run fer your lives!!!

Ride safe, Ted

PS: To the recent sign on's to this discussion.    "Sometimes" while waiting for the Wildflower Ride,,, a few of us,  tend to go a bit crazy with the discussions...  :41:
As you can see, Joe, Craig, Rev are prime examples of that.  :rotflmao:
As for me; I am always in control.... ;)  (But I do lie on occasion).

Update; We've been getting light rain in Houston for some time. I think the Hunt area is getting the same. If this keeps up we should have lots of Wildflowers this year at the Ride. Bring yer wifes and come ride with us...

Not trying to be negative but not having rain and flowers nearly at all last year could have effected the seed production last year making it less flowers this year even with rain but I am no egg spurt.  I would be happy enough  with great weather and no flowers though.  Less distracted traffic on the road.

smithr-scad said:
Not trying to be negative but not having rain and flowers nearly at all last year could have effected the seed production last year making it less flowers this year even with rain but I am no egg spurt.  I would be happy enough  with great weather and no flowers though.  Less distracted traffic on the road.
OR

Dormant wildflower seeds that lacked moisture to germinate might find it in themselves to do so this year. Hey, I'm hoping!  :)

Well, I dunno, if there are no flowers I'm not sure it's worth riding ALL the way up there.  I mean, I didn't sign up for the "Wildflower Some Other Time Ride."  Jeez, first there's the $37 thing, now this.  I'm really rethinking my membership.

Don't worry about it Jeff. It's worth the price of the trip just to watch Rev workin' on the Turbo...
(And to participate in the moral support/not that we offer him while he's doing it)    :p

Ride safe, Ted

And then there's that fact that you can use your COG Card at the Kawasaki dealerships to get a discount on parts...

Yeah,,,

NOT!

is the key word in THAT sentence.  ::)

And if it's flower sniffin'- ya want, then the Big Bend Ride and a stay at the Half-Cow that'll make you smile (retch).  The fragrance of THAT lil hideaway is certainly... uh... Rosie (sic).  :-\

Ted, there ARE other photos.  >:D

Flowers? There were flowers? All I ever saw was blurred blue streaks...And Rev workin' on the turbo...And fish floating by one year, but I think that was a fluke (as in odd, not the fish)...  ;D

Well.....flowers may be more likely......we will have some clue after the visit to Big Bend.

Craig

My money says plenty of flowers this year.

And I'm already missing Big Joe... I think he's on his out of the SC region way already.  :'(

Missing Big Joe too! :'(

Still rooms at the Maverick Inn for Big Bend (shameless crosspost) and plenty of great roads to start off the season.

I know you can't make BB Chuck, but maybe a few others "on the fence" can saddle up.

Craig

kv5e said:
Missing Big Joe too! :'(

Still rooms at the Maverick Inn for Big Bend (shameless crosspost) and plenty of great roads to start off the season.

I know you can't make BB Chuck, but maybe a few others "on the fence" can saddle up.

Craig
Yeah, I'd love to make BB again.  But I just can't miss that SUnday as we are having another (2nd annual) Blood drive... seems like that is what kept me here last year. Hmmm!  Well, that and too many Sundays off doesn't work well either.  I thought about riding to Del Rio and then back home when everyone heads to Alpine, but that kinda seems pointless too since the Half-Cow is gonna be closed this year.  Maybe next year I can get back on track and move the date of this Blood Drive.

It seems like many more making it to wildflower this year than big bend.

Registered so far:
Big Bend- 13
Wildflower- 29

smithr-scad said:
It seems like many more making it to wildflower this year than big bend.  Surely it is not because they are so close together. :p
Surely not.  They're like 300 miles apart.

I'm NOT completely backed out. Their is still a slight chance I'll be there.
Since Rev WON'T be there, it should be a pretty nice ride...    :p

Ride safe, Ted

OK, now I'm in!  Just made my hotel deposit.  I would like to meet up with Fred and other DFW riders on Friday to ride down.  >:D

connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, you are still coming to the Wildflower ride aren't you ???

connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted
:sign0023: :sign0023: :sign0023:      That's all just  :sign0103:    :nananana:
It's already ruined fer you cuz I won't be there to pick on.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Looky there.  Now Scotty's beaming down too.  WIsh I could go and Ted had to work. 

Wait a minute.... I AM going to Wildflower.    :sign0151:

smithr-scad said:
It seems like many more making it to wildflower this year than big bend.  Surely it is not because they are so close together. :p

Registered so far:
Big Bend- 5  with Ted backing out.
Wildflower- 26

Always Mr. Positive here.........

Craig

I would just love to register for this one. I did this one for two years straight and it is a blast!!!  But work has me off to one of those low fun countries the two weeks before, and cannot get back to Houston till, get this... late Saturday  :'( 
I am sure (because of Murphy's Law) there will be plenty of Wildflowers (has to be more than last year), and mostly because I can't make it. :mad:

Just have to rest up for National Rally, then Jack's and Push Mountain in the fall.  Come to think of it, I may have to move to Arkansas with all the trips there.  :beerchug:  BTW, the silver stealth just turned over 77Kmiles this weekend and she still runs great.

Ride safe and often.

I are Registered.    ^-^
I'll throw down the gauntlett . (To liven up the discussion).  ;)

Ya'll C-14 guys had better watch out...  :))

I've been tinkering on my old C-10.  :nananana:
New Seat, Tires, Cams, Cam Gears, Exhaust System, Muffler (1 ea), 2 min Jett kit.....
With all the $$ spent,,,, Sure hope I can afford to go!!

NOTE: I'd say the same thing about Rev, but I'll just put the Evil Eye on his Turbo and it will break,,, (AGAIN)!!!  >:D  :p
                                                            Greenman, but Pam won't let him ride fast.
                                                            Jim, but he will be in the parking lot helping Rev get his turbo going.
                                                              Jack, but he's old and slow....

Let the flames begin!!

Ride safe, Ted