• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Police Version Pictures

zrxmax

Pistons, Cams, and Valves!
Hi Fellow Concours Owners
Does anybody have any pictures of the California police version of the Concours 1400?
I am in California and after 10s of thousands of miles of commuting I have only seen one 1400 Police bike that was on the side of the road in San Diego. My best guess is was probably issuing some driver a ticket. I didn't stop to check it out... ;)
I don't know how many 1400s the state of California bought, however, I know they bought some for Highway Patrol usage.

I have noticed that lots of drivers are very courteous to me on my newly acquired ( April ) 1400 when it comes to splitting lanes. Somebody mentioned the other day that part of the reason for that is due to the fact that the 1400 has the look of a police bike when viewed by someone looking in their rearview mirror.

Hmmm.... perhaps I should paint my Concours to further embrace the "look" of a police bike a little more by painting it to look like a CHP motorcycle.

What are your thoughts regarding my thoughts?

I got pulled over one time and the first thing the cop asked me if I was a cop. šŸ˜„ Here is a fun one too, sit on a side street of a road with your front end sticking out a little and watch how many people slow down real quick.

I don't think you need to paint it to look more like a cop, all of the ones I saw in Oregon were all black or all blue, the only difference are the lights mounted on them.

I had a Gunn Diode 10 GHz transmitter with a small horn antenna that you could power from a 12V cigar lighter. It had a button to turn the power on and off on the cable. Set it up on the car dash under a gimme' cap on an Interstate and get behind a big phalanx of cars.

Turn it ON.........BRAKE LIGHTS EVERYWHERE, turn it off and they let off the brakes......repeat.....repeat....with everyone looking for the radar gun.:cool:

I sent my call sign every 10 minutes in code just to make it legal. Great fun until I got tired of it.......:ROFLMAO:

Splitting lanes is not fun all time in Ca
Folks throw coffee, water, open doors
Slightly , spit, they hate you getting
Ahead of them in solid traffic. If you
Have a white half/size helmet they
Will give you a wide lane!

Hi Fellow Concours Owners
Does anybody have any pictures of the California police version of the Concours 1400?
I am in California and after 10s of thousands of miles of commuting I have only seen one 1400 Police bike that was on the side of the road in San Diego. My best guess is was probably issuing some driver a ticket. I didn't stop to check it out... ;)
I don't know how many 1400s the state of California bought, however, I know they bought some for Highway Patrol usage.

I have noticed that lots of drivers are very courteous to me on my newly acquired ( April ) 1400 when it comes to splitting lanes. Somebody mentioned the other day that part of the reason for that is due to the fact that the 1400 has the look of a police bike when viewed by someone looking in their rearview mirror.

Hmmm.... perhaps I should paint my Concours to further embrace the "look" of a police bike a little more by painting it to look like a CHP motorcycle.

What are your thoughts regarding my thoughts?

I always thought that if I had to commute a lot in heavy traffic I would follow Andrew Byrdā€™s (a.k.a. Byrdman) lead and get a
ā€Slower Traffic Keep Rightā€œ decal on my windscreen. Apparently it works really well. Motorists see the decal in their rear view mirror and believe it is a police bike.

A0957F98-85D8-4EBE-A5EF-7FB9D2089BF8.jpeg

Itā€™s been 4-5 years, but I seem to recall Byrdman saying that he had a local vinyl/tape shop create it.

Have seen three CHP Concours , one in Auburn Ca at a fun shop, one in Bakersfield on 58 with a customer on the side of the highway and two at PCP motor sports, so I actually have seen fouršŸ˜‚

I have a black '12.

It and my '08 have a full complement of radio gear (CB, dual-band ham rig, optional MURS/FRS/GMRS integration) and a Givi V46 trunk mounted on one of Phil's racks which is in turn mounted on a custom dual-antenna mount (which also incorporates a pair of helmet locks). The controls for the radios are mounted to the master cylinders by way of a pair of Highway Dirt Bikes clamps; they're momentary pushbuttons with waterproof rubber caps.

Overall, the whole thing screams Cop Bike.

One day several years ago I was commuting to work when Joe Idiot decided to drift over on top of me with his ratted-out pickup truck. I was in the left lane with nowhere to go but into the cement retainer.

I was almost there and getting ready to throttle up hard when Joe realized what he (though he) was about to run into. That pickup decelerated so hard and fast I wonder if he stalled the thing outright. šŸ¤£

Thread bump:

Thanks to a member in another thread, I just scored a police model top box and set of rear luggage guards. Next part of this process is to find a solo seat, come up with a way to mount the box on Phil's Rack then get the lid painted to match the rest of the bike. That box will make a nice radio or laptop carrier when I'm not toting a passenger.

Splitting lanes is not fun all time in Ca
Folks throw coffee, water, open doors
Slightly , spit, they hate you getting
Ahead of them in solid traffic. If you
Have a white half/size helmet they
Will give you a wide lane!
I had a punk in Ca. open his door on me. I parked the bike and hand fisted his face until he couldn't see.....lots of witnesses too.

I have a black '12.

It and my '08 have a full complement of radio gear (CB, dual-band ham rig, optional MURS/FRS/GMRS integration) and a Givi V46 trunk mounted on one of Phil's racks which is in turn mounted on a custom dual-antenna mount (which also incorporates a pair of helmet locks). The controls for the radios are mounted to the master cylinders by way of a pair of Highway Dirt Bikes clamps; they're momentary pushbuttons with waterproof rubber caps.

Any pics to share on how your radio gear is mounted? I have a similar setup when I'm working running & bicycle races (pre-COVID). Curious to see what you're using too! Thanks! I'll post pics as well...

Funny story. Met a group of SWCOG riders years ago at the west end of Ortega hwy. Had a buddy out with on a 14. I asked him if he wanted some giggles. Pulled into a turn out by caspers park bikes facing the road. Watch I said. Folks would come screaming around the corner see us and brake heavily. Great fun. Hind sight sez we could have caused an accident. Another great thing is getting on the freeway, accelerating hard into the fast lane behind someone speeding and watch them slow down. Juvenile I know but still makes me smile. Sometimes it's the simple things.

Any pics to share on how your radio gear is mounted? I have a similar setup when I'm working running & bicycle races (pre-COVID). Curious to see what you're using too! Thanks! I'll post pics as well...
I thought I'd posted a couple of pics of mine in the forums, but can't find them. So...a thousand words will have to suffice until I upload them again:

Both of the bikes have a Yaesu FTM-10SR (2M/440 dual-band) installed. I bought an '08 CA-model evap cannister mount (which bolts to a CA-specific fairing sub-frame) and attached the transceiver chassis to it. The right top area of the fairing/dash also hides a Fuze Block, the power distribution and filtering system for a JMCB-2003 and a Kennedy Technologies FRSet-4, which integrates the various audio sources. On my '08, Jon of Kennedy built a custom FRSet-4 which allows me to switch between the ham rig and an FRS/GMRS or MURS rig for transceiving purposes. Plans are to do same with the '12.

I had to modify a CA-model fairing subframe for my '12 to mount the FTM-10 chassis, as it was missing one of the threaded attachment points for the fairing. A little dancing with a MIG welder addressed that.

The '12 uses the base portion of a (sadly, discontinued) Techmount and pieces from the Yaesu handlebar mount to attach the control head. My '08 utilizes a RAM ball-mount setup to do same. The RAM mount is part of an MCL riser/spacer assembly though the concept is repeatable with Helibars and their RAM mount ball option.

The left bar area of each mounts JMCB-2003 CB rigs and the left top area of the fairing/dash hides all the interconnection wiring for the CB radio.

I had a former coworker machine a 1" riser and rear bar assembly which in turn has one of Phil's racks bolted to it. The horizontal bar incorporates helmet locks (as I'd indicated in prior posts) and HF/VHF-UHF antennas are mounted on each end.

Plans with the '12 at this point are to obtain an Icom IC-703 and mount the chassis in the police top box which I bought earlier in the week. The control head will be mounted between the bars on either a RAM mount or a CHP mount supplied by Beaudry Motors. The J&M CB will be removed and used on another bike, and the FTM-10SR control head will go in its place.

I don't see the need to operate the lower HF bands while underway, so an antenna which allows 15 through 6M operation will work fine in this application.

Controls...I reverse-engineered Yaesu's two-wire protocol for things like VFO/Memory, channel/frequency up-down manipulation, built a controller module and used a set of Highway Dirt Bikes perch-mount switch holders to attach the switches. I'll have to do same for the '703's up/down/PTT functions. I'm planning to program all commonly used frequencies into the '703 then put it in memory mode and use the bar-mount switches to step through the banks.

Speaking of bicycles: My underway rig on those is a VX-7R, interfaced to a Motorola HT-820 headset by a Pryme Bluetooth adapter. I can keep track of the area 2M Simplex Gang on one VFO then listen to NOAA or the railroads on the other.

a24nDcV.jpg

Here's a pic (with me in the left mirror šŸ¤£ ). I'm going to build a mount for the FTM10 control head (currently on the TechMount) and put it on the left bar where the JMCB-2003 currently resides). The head from an Icom IC-703 or a BC-RH96 remote head (for a BCD-996XT scanner) will be located between the bars. Cables for both will be run in such a manner that I can swap them depending on what type of listening/talking I want to do while riding and both chassis will be mounted in the radio box.

I found a neat windshield-mount scanner antenna to attach to the inside of the radio box lid, while a Diamond CR8900 attached to the mounting spot of the radio box's upper deck will provide 10/6/2M and 440MHz ham band coverage.