• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Poopy's

ZG/ZN Kim

I know everyone is focused on the National next week. But here are some interesting "snip-its" about Poopy's Restaurant in Savannah, Illinois.

Copy/paste the address below to your internet browser:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2GXoTdDLP8

There also is a recent newspaper article in the Dubuque Telegraph Herald, find out how the restaurant got it' s name. Copy/Paste: www.telegraphherald.com/.../article_4f23f0c4-590f-5b98-b2e9-4b6cd67e8d7e.html

Coincidentally, there is a RTE there on 6/25

I remember years ago it was a little bar/tavern in town- not what it has become.  I still have a book of matches from Poopy's.  The warning says something like, Caution, you'll burn the sh!t out of your fingers.  We pass it on our way up to Galena when I'm visiting the folks.

Jerry,
I am not sure how we will manage to give out the HUGE GIFT;longest ride there,whoever eats the most poop burgers, draw cards or the most ironic motorcycle story.
We will figure it out somehow. I am just hoping for nice weather and a nice turnout to this RTE. This is not just a guy place, my wife loved going there a few weeks ago and looks forward to returning. The food is good, the atmosphere  electric, should be live entertainment also.

The group will meet/eat in the outdoor pavilion area rain or shine.

Ride Safe

I registered for the event but whether I make it or not will depend on my getting the new front tire I just ordered and getting it mounted. If i do make it would anyone be interested in going on to New Diggings, WI? It's about another 40 min north and I know some nice twisty roads to get there from Savanna.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Diggings,_Wisconsin.  It's another well know motorcycle destination!

Yes this is just a RTE, but my wife and I are coming from Wisconsin. So yes there are some decent roads on the Illinois side, and Iowa side to ride going to/from Savannah. New Diggings is a interesting stop as mentioned by Bluelon. New Diggings is from the lead mining days from the 1830's, it has tried to maintain its historic allure. It is another biker stop, as they normally have a band on Sunday. We would entertain stopping at ND's after Poopy's

I am also a fan of New Diggings.  We usually try to stop there every time we go to Galena. First time I was there, about sixty bikes parked at the 2 rustic bars then a big ol' bus shows up with a wedding party and guests.  Rowdy group.  The one bar offered us the room above the bar.  Ended up staying at the Ambrosia Inn in Hazel Green.  They have a honeymoon suite built in a silo. Going to try to make this, but not looking good right now.  Never been to Poopy's.

Looks dry and cool for Sunday in the Savannah area. My wife and I will get there a bit early and try to grab a couple tables in the sun. I will be wearing a tan Gettysburg ball cap.  Looking forward to meeting some new COG members, and maybe getting a ride in afterwards.
Remember there will be a prize for most miles to get there, and for the funniest cycle riding story!  My stories are all stupid so I am out already.

Ride Safe

Thanks to Kim and Sue for hosting the event.  Well done!  Poopy's was everything promised and a bit more.  Especially nice job on the weather! 

Congratulations to door prize winners Robert and Scott.  The honors are well-deserved. 

Thanks also to our COG leadership for funding the door prizes.  Hope it encourages a few more people to get out and ride to an event. 

Jerry Roland

Attachments

• Poopys 10.jpg
    Poopys 10.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Sue Lisa Scott 10.jpg
    Sue Lisa Scott 10.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 102
You know Jerry it ended kind of weird. I was out in the parking lot talking with Scott, and you just disappeared. I figured you went back in to listen to the band. Scott told those crazy stories of his, you know. On the way home I must of checked for my wallet at least 6 times, constantly checking my mirrors to make sure my wife was still on, saddlebags there, and no crazy bastard was going to run me over.

Good food and good company. Plus nice to meet Bob from Oshkosh. Looking forward already to the next RTE in the area!