• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Possible blown Head Gasket

croach1776

Tonto
Started up the Connie couple weeks ago to circulate oil, keep battery fresh,etc. During warmup started missing and then white (smoke or vapor) issued from
right tail pipe. Turned her off then noticed some fluid under right bank of carbs. Didnt smell like gas though. Few days later checked the oil and it seemed to be tan colored vice amber. I will check the coolant in few days. I did start her again just to see if she would and no problems and seemed to run fine but shut her down
after about 10 seconds. Any info to help trouble shoot this will be very welcome. Most likely trailer her to shop and let them diagnose issue.

Good luck finding a decent shop that will want to mess with it just because of age. Compression check will tell you a lot. I am in Tomball. Do you have a place to work on the bike? I will be working on both of my bikes this weekend, but may be able to cut out a couple hours Sunday to lend a hand if you want. Let me know

I am off Sunday through Tuesday. Let me help you with yours if needed then we can check mine out. I have a second ride so
not an ASAP issue. I have a shop that is very familiar with it as they helped me resurrect it after sitting in garage for about 7 years. Thanks

Good that you have a shop that will still work on it. I have had my 1997 since it was new. Don't think there is a nut or bolt I haven't turned in that time. Thanks for the offer of help. Just a matter of money on mine right now.

You are having a misfire on a cylinder that may be the cause of the white smoke from the exhaust, unburnt gas.

Leaky head gaskets incidents aren't reported much on here, unless it was overheated and the head got warped?
**If you haven't already, read up on hydrolock on this forum.

Take spark plugs out and see what they look like, take photos and post them here.
Could be stuck carburetor float that is letting too much gas through, but you say the fluid leak isn't gas. There is a coolant log behind/below the carbs that has orings to seal it to the engine block, but if you are using coolant it would be apparent that it was a coolant leak.

Just a reminder (for everyone) before you take the gas tank off, remove both of the fairing colored body side covers (below gas tank) to stop the tank from scratching them up and put them back on after you put the tank back on, AMHIK.

Last edited:
Thanks, my sense of smell isnt the greatest but didnt smell like gas. Weather kept me from troubleshooting as garage is too crowded with my wife's car in it and I would have to move out if I dented or scratched her car.

Float needle sticking open will produce white smoke and is most likely as some mention. This save for fact you think oil has a change of color. But if flooded crankcase has gas that could be possible too.

Do you have float bowl overflow tubes?

Hope it is eazy fix regardless!

Float needle sticking open will produce white smoke and is most likely as some mention. This save for fact you think oil has a change of color. But if flooded crankcase has gas that could be possible too.

Do you have float bowl overflow tubes?

Hope it is eazy fix regardless!
Nope recently installed manual petcock. I havent had time to deal with it due to health issues with my mom. Plan draining oil to check better, check spark plugs and perform the test for hydro lock. Thanks