• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Pre-National NE Tour ride plan

bikerhawk

Kansas AAD
Finally got around to working the maps & figuring out a rough plan to take the long way from here to Williamsport:

Tues 7/16 - Home to Indianapolis - 525 mi.
Wed 7/17 - Indy to Morgantown WV - 400 mi.
Thur 7/18 - Morgantown to Bridgeport CT - 460 mi.
Fri 7/19 - Bridgeport-Cape Cod-Portland ME - 460 mi.
Sat 7/20 - Portland-Mt. Washington-Wilmington VT - 310 mi.
Sun 7/21 - Wilmington to Williamsport - 315 mi.

Again, this is very rough and subject to a lot of change.  I'm a bit concerned about east coast traffic bogging it down, especially on Thursday & Friday.  My primary goal is to fill in all those states up northeast that are blank on my states ridden map, with quick visits to Cape Cod & the Mount Washington Auto Road.  A lot of slab, but I'll make up for that a bit during National week.

I'm no rookie by any means to multi-day trips, but after last year's Wyoming breakdown...let's just say the old C10 is getting a thorough work-over this week.  :)

Have fun up there. The traffic can suck. If it works for you try hitting Campobello in New Brunswick,    right on the border with ME. Cool place and a Canadian sticker to boot.

On TDY near Black Hawk, CO.

Your gonna love the Mt Washington auto road..... hopefully you won't have a cage that wants to stop and gauck infront of u....be prepared.....lol

bikerhawk said:
Finally got around to working the maps & figuring out a rough plan to take the long way from here to Williamsport:

Tues 7/14 - Home to Indianapolis - 525 mi.
Wed 7/15 - Indy to Morgantown WV - 400 mi.
Thur 7/16 - Morgantown to Bridgeport CT - 460 mi.
Fri 7/17 - Bridgeport-Cape Cod-Portland ME - 460 mi.
Sat 7/18 - Portland-Mt. Washington-Wilmington VT - 310 mi.
Sun 7/19 - Wilmington to Williamsport - 315 mi.

Again, this is very rough and subject to a lot of change.  I'm a bit concerned about east coast traffic bogging it down, especially on Thursday & Friday.  My primary goal is to fill in all those states up northeast that are blank on my states ridden map, with quick visits to Cape Cod & the Mount Washington Auto Road.  A lot of slab, but I'll make up for that a bit during National week.

I'm no rookie by any means to multi-day trips, but after last year's Wyoming breakdown...let's just say the old C10 is getting a thorough work-over this week.  :)

That's a pretty ambicious trip! Good luck and have a great time. See you in Williamsport!
jason

gsjay said:
That's a pretty ambicious trip! Good luck and have a great time. See you in Williamsport!
jason
Thanks, Jason. You're right, it's pretty ambitious, especially the Morgantown to Bridgeport & Bridgeport to Portland legs. I might push a bit farther past Morgantown into MD on Day 2, but I needed to at least get a rough plan down to find target points, then start varying from them as needed. Plenty of opportunities to break some points off & modify if I'm not feeling up to it. I do have a couple IBA certified rides under my belt, so it's well within my capability as long as the bike & I are in good shape.

Last 2 days into Williamsport are intentionally shorter. After the National (planning for shorter rides & more rest), I'm hoping for home in 2 days (1088 miles to home), but I can stretch to 3 if necessary. All told, should end up well over 4000 miles in 12 days.

A big decision I'm still grappling with is camp vs. motel on the early run. Will probably bring gear in case the opportunity presents itself. I do have a room for the National to help recover.

bikerhawk said:
gsjay said:
jason
Thanks, Jason. You're right, it's pretty ambitious, especially the Morgantown to Bridgeport & Bridgeport to Portland legs. I might push a bit farther past Morgantown into MD on Day 2, but I needed to at least get a rough plan down to find target points, then start varying from them as needed. Plenty of opportunities to break some points off & modify if I'm not feeling up to it. I do have a couple IBA certified rides under my belt, so it's well within my capability as long as the bike & I are in good shape.

Last 2 days into Williamsport are intentionally shorter. After the National (planning for shorter rides & more rest), I'm hoping for home in 2 days (1088 miles to home), but I can stretch to 3 if necessary. All told, should end up well over 4000 miles in 12 days.

A big decision I'm still grappling with is camp vs. motel on the early run. Will probably bring gear in case the opportunity presents itself. I do have a room for the National to help recover.
If you push past Morgantown I'd recommend Cumberland Md. Stop on the interstate and pick up a coupon booklet. You should be able to stay downtown at the Ramada cheap! Ramada has a nice Pool and is walking distance to Crabby Pig, one of our favoriate places to eat!
Old train station is cool, worth taking time to walk though.
jason

That Thursday leg if timed to arrive in Bridgeport from 4pm on is going to be heavy traffic from NY to Bridgeport. I work in Bridgeport and wouldn't recommend staying at any hotel or motel in the city limits, Milford which is two cities east of Bridgeport has better accomadations and a lot safer.

Hammonaset State Park is @40 miles east of Bridgeport right off I95 on the beach in Madison which has hundreds of campsites but books to capacity. When I was younger they had an area set aside for late arriving straglers that they would let set up for an overnight stay, not sure if that still exists. I checked reserve America and there are ample sites available for Thursday night
Unfortunately I won't be home Thursday night.

Friday's leg is going to be the route to the Cape that everyone will be migrating to. After the Cape, when you get anywhere near Boston from there north to Maine border will be another mass exodus.
If you cut the Cape out of your route Newport RI would be a good alternative but very busy with Friday traffic but only about 2 hours from Milford and if you get an early start, 5-7am you won't hit much traffic.

Good luck and good riding

Hey Tom

I work in New Haven CT - not too far from Bridgeport. If your trip timing allows and you would like to meet up for lunch, there are lots of options around here including Food Truck Paradise.

PM or email me if interested. If not, not worries. Will see you in Williamsport.

We may cross paths Tom, the wife & I will be headed out early Monday morning. Should be leaving tomorrow, but I bent my front wheel in NC last week & just got a replacement yesterday. So yea, working on the bike right before heading out.  :??: We'll be headed towards NE Ohio or Erie PA the 1st day. Wife mentioned doing a 2 up saddle sore to get as far as possible the 1st day & then slow down. We'll see what she thinks after 700 - 800, gonna be damn hot.

No real plans, I never have a plan just a direction. 1st stop would be Niagra & then on to Maine & down the east coast before heading to Williamsport. Like you I'm just crossing off the last few untraveled states & letting the wife see whatever she wants to see.

It's Friday and I find myself in Plainfield, CT. Skipping Cape Cod & heading north to skirt the worst of the heat. Plan is to duck into Maine before winding up in Lincoln, NH tonight. Mount Washington as planned tomorrow, then whatever happens between there & Williamsport.

Three 500+ mile days in a row...time to pull back a bit. Bike is doing great. Rider...meh. :)

Just Cliff said:
We may cross paths Tom, the wife & I will be headed out early Monday morning. Should be leaving tomorrow, but I bent my front wheel in NC last week & just got a replacement yesterday. So yea, working on the bike right before heading out.  :??: We'll be headed towards NE Ohio or Erie PA the 1st day. Wife mentioned doing a 2 up saddle sore to get as far as possible the 1st day & then slow down. We'll see what she thinks after 700 - 800, gonna be damn hot.

No real plans, I never have a plan just a direction. 1st stop would be Niagra & then on to Maine & down the east coast before heading to Williamsport. Like you I'm just crossing off the last few untraveled states & letting the wife see whatever she wants to see.

I saw a gray C14 with 2 up today heading the other way on 495 on the north side of Boston, a couple miles from the I-95 interchange. Wonder if that was y’all...will find out in a few days.

Made it to Williamsport smoothly. Never mind the 35 minute crawling detour around a bad wreck that had my dash thermometer reading 135 degrees. Thank goodness there was a rest area just after I cleared the backup.

6 days, 2558 miles, and some very ripe gear. Lots of rain here today before it clears and cools down starting tomorrow, so it's a perfect day for a rest/recovery/laundry day.