• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Prospective new owner from Connecticut

jwg1884794

Greetings. It's been a few years since I've ridden but am looking to get back into it. Last was a Suzuki 500 quite a few years back but have jumped on my son's dirt bike every now and then.

I've been reading up and looking over bike ads to see what might work for me. I've see a few C10's available nearby that have caught my eye. Looking for something on the low end of the price scale since I'll need gear, taxes, insurance, repairs... Don't mind doing the work on my own so that should help.

A couple questions if anyone has any thoughts:

1) I'm 5'9" with a 30 to 31" inseam. As I haven't had a chance to sit on a C10 as yet does anyone think that might be an issue? I'm 57 but still surprise the young guys when I go to bootcamp/cardio kickboxing!

2) How common is the hydrolock issue? Anything to listen for or feel when checking out a bike?

Thanks for any input anyone may have.

John

Hi John, I have a 30" inseam and with boots it is manageable, you may not be able to flat foot both feet. This all depends on the seat on the bike and if any mods have been done to the suspension or tire rim size and the height of your boot soles.

I changed out the front end to a ZRX and rear rim to a 17" Meanstreak which lowered it a bit. With thick soled boots I can flat foot it.

As far as hydrolock, I bought my bike when the owner thought it had a starter motor issue when it wouldn't turn the engine over. I bought it before I knew of hydrolock and Cog. A mechanic friend of mine shed light on the possibility of it being hydro locked. So an hour or so later after removing the side panels, gas tank, coils and spark plugs, it turned over with a geyser of fuel coming out of one of the cylinders. After checking piston heights we determined that it didn't suffer from the worse case scenario of a bent connecting rod. I lucked out.

So some of these bikes that have experienced a hydrolock have not fallen to the permanent damage of a bent connecting rod.

A lot of more knowledgable owners on here have had occurrences to have or ride a Connie with slightly bent rods and there is no way but to measure piston heights to determine that, they run smoothly for an inline 4 cyl engine.

Where are you in CT? I'm north of New Haven.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info. I'm up in Tolland which is NE of Hartford on 84.

I actually picked up a bike this afternoon! Gary_T was gracious enough to allow me to take custody of his 03 C10. I seem to be able to handle it as you said.

Getting a little late in the season and it seems to take a bit of time with DMV now so I guess I'll be getting acquainted with her in the basement this winter. So, looks like I need to join COG and start reading and poking around.

Thanks again.

John

I'm up in Tolland which is NE of Hartford on 84.

I actually picked up a bike this afternoon! Gary_T

So, looks like I need to join COG and start reading and poking around.

hey John - While out riding 2 weeks ago I went through Tolland.

Hope to meet you if we Are able to have a CT COG winter meet & greet.

Hi John,
I looked up Gary's post on your new ride. If you are using the Russell daylong and the bike seems a little too high try the OEM saddle you got with it, the hip wings on the daylong will shorten your stance. The daylong is the ticket for longer rides but I find the OEM better than most OEM seats out there for a daily rider.
The Cee Bailey windscreen is one of the best for weather protection and I assume the model you have has the cutout to alleviate buffeting.
Hope to meet you some time down the road.

Btw, if you plan on doing any engine maintence over the winter, take the side panels that are below the gas tank off before taking off the gas tank, they can get scratched by the tank, amhik.

Bob

Hey John. I'm right next door in Coventry CT. I've got an '02 with a Russel Daylong seat and a Cee Bailey windscreen. 2 of the best mods I've ever done to the bike. Good luck with the new ride - add a connection for heated gear and extend the riding season!

Hi John,
I looked up Gary's post on your new ride. If you are using the Russell daylong and the bike seems a little too high try the OEM saddle you got with it, the hip wings on the daylong will shorten your stance. The daylong is the ticket for longer rides but I find the OEM better than most OEM seats out there for a daily rider.
The Cee Bailey windscreen is one of the best for weather protection and I assume the model you have has the cutout to alleviate buffeting.
Hope to meet you some time down the road.

Btw, if you plan on doing any engine maintence over the winter, take the side panels that are below the gas tank off before taking off the gas tank, they can get scratched by the tank, amhik.

Bob
Bob,

Thanks for both tips. I'll give them a try.

John

Hey John. I'm right next door in Coventry CT. I've got an '02 with a Russel Daylong seat and a Cee Bailey windscreen. 2 of the best mods I've ever done to the bike. Good luck with the new ride - add a connection for heated gear and extend the riding season!
Hey neighbor,

Good to hear about the mods. Heated gear is an option but I think I better wait until next year! Unfortunately a lot to do after having the basement replaced. Need to get stuff put away and make a nice spot for the bike.

John

John -

I hope you have as much fun with your C10 as I did! Once this Covid breaks, we should look at getting the CT COG people back together for a couple of events this summer. I'm sure Steve Smith could use the help, there hasn't been an active CT Chapter for a while.

Gary

John -

I hope you have as much fun with your C10 as I did! Once this Covid breaks, we should look at getting the CT COG people back together for a couple of events this summer. I'm sure Steve Smith could use the help, there hasn't been an active CT Chapter for a while.

Gary

For sure Gary - Let's get it done. Andy H was organizing monthly meet and greets in CT last year and this year until COVID forced abrupt cancellation. I suggest we get the CT crew working on a 2021 schedule. Can always cancel if covid spikes. Reach out to me by email or give me a call. To get it rolling I will start a new thread under the NE events section.