• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Question abbout a cover

Tector

I searched the forum for an answer to my question, but didn't find it.  Specifically, I would like to buy a cover for my 2010 C14 ABS that will cover the whole bike INCLUDING the Kawasaki 47 liter top case, IF I have the top case on the bike (I don't always).  The Kawasaki website says that their cover will work, but it is pricey ($170). When I bought the bike (used) it came with a cover, but even if the top case is not on the bike, that cover is a tight fit (meaning, I'm wondering if the cover will rip when I'm putting it on or taking it off). 

Does anyone know from personal experience what cover will work?  CycleGear, Dowco Guardian, Nelson Rigg, would any of these work, and if so, what size? 

Thanks.

I have a Dowco XL and it covers the Givi 52L box, the front fender, and the muffler to below the pegs. It was pricey (about $100) but it's about 10 years old and shows no signs of wear.

Tector said:
I searched the forum for an answer to my question, but didn't find it.  Specifically, I would like to buy a cover for my 2010 C14 ABS that will cover the whole bike INCLUDING the Kawasaki 47 liter top case, IF I have the top case on the bike (I don't always).  The Kawasaki website says that their cover will work, but it is pricey ($170). When I bought the bike (used) it came with a cover, but even if the top case is not on the bike, that cover is a tight fit (meaning, I'm wondering if the cover will rip when I'm putting it on or taking it off). 

Does anyone know from personal experience what cover will work?  CycleGear, Dowco Guardian, Nelson Rigg, would any of these work, and if so, what size? 
I bought a cover from the dealer when I bought my first 2016, it fit nicely and has a zipper pocket thing in case you have a top box on, mine seems to have shrunk a little in the las year or so , it’s not as easy to put over the bike anymore as it was at first!
Thanks.

Tector said:

Thanks.

I have Kawasaki's cover. Pricey, I guess, but it has been well worth the money. It's very well made.

I have a 2012, E55 top case and have an XXL NelsonRigg cover....Works very well for me, have top case on all the time for work stuff and covered all the time at work.

It depends what your intended use for the cover is going to be. If your looking for a travel cover, there is in my opinion only one good alternative and it is the Nelson Rigg travel cover found at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GTV7JI?ref=em_1p_0_ti&ref_=pe_2313360_446440430. For one thing it is waterproof and not just water resistant and it packs down to a small package that doesn't take up too much space in the trunk or saddle bag. I have a 2012 C14 with a givi 55 for a trunk and an extra large will cover the bike and most of the saddle bags with the trunk in place. All the other covers I have tried do not keep the bike dry under them but the Nelson Rigg will. I have had the same bag since I bought the bike new in 2012 and it is still in good condition. If your looking for a bike cover for use when the bike is stored outside or in the garage this isn't what you need. I never cover my bike in the garage because my wife's cats like to get under the cover and sleep on the bike. Not so much if it isn't covered but maybe that is because of the scat mat that I lay over the seat!

Fork

Fork said:
It depends what your intended use for the cover is going to be. If your looking for a travel cover, there is in my opinion only one good alternative and it is the Nelson Rigg travel cover found at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GTV7JI?ref=em_1p_0_ti&ref_=pe_2313360_446440430. For one thing it is waterproof and not just water resistant and it packs down to a small package that doesn't take up too much space in the trunk or saddle bag. I have a 2012 C14 with a givi 55 for a trunk and an extra large will cover the bike and most of the saddle bags with the trunk in place. All the other covers I have tried do not keep the bike dry under them but the Nelson Rigg will. I have had the same bag since I bought the bike new in 2012 and it is still in good condition. If your looking for a bike cover for use when the bike is stored outside or in the garage this isn't what you need. I never cover my bike in the garage because my wife's cats like to get under the cover and sleep on the bike. Not so much if it isn't covered but maybe that is because of the scat mat that I lay over the seat!

Fork

+1 The Nelson Rigg cover is an excellent travel cover and it is truly waterproof. 

When I'm out on the road I really like using a full cover at night at a motel or anywhere I leave my bike, like going for a hike too.
Out of sight is out of mind.
That $22 Walmart cover Ted put up might not be the toughest out there but Low Price!

Nickrides said:
When I'm out on the road I really like using a full cover at night at a motel or anywhere I leave my bike, like going for a hike too.
Out of sight is out of mind.
That $22 Walmart cover Ted put up might not be the toughest out there but Low Price!

Right; the cover at a motel could be more of a deterrent + I try to stay on a low floor and park bike within easy view or access (if possible). If one has to leave bike outside most of time, then I can see wanting a more weather-resistant cover for protection.

Theres alot of covers out there, at all different price points and features.  Your cheaper ones will usually only be water/dew resistant, not truly waterproof.  But at any rate you will definitely be needing a 2xl to cover the bike and trunk/bags..

I have a tourmaster xl that fits my Givi E55.  Covers front wheel, the dual exhaust, and pegs.

Not particularly packable, but reasonably so.  It came to Nationals with me, and I needed it.

Definitely waterproof, and proving rugged, although not cheap.

gr

ghostrider990 said:
I have a tourmaster xl that fits my Givi E55.  Covers front wheel, the dual exhaust, and pegs.

Not particularly packable, but reasonably so.  It came to Nationals with me, and I needed it.

Definitely waterproof, and proving rugged, although not cheap.

gr
Pics, please