• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Race shift pattern

Spiderman

Has anyone of you guys tried or use the race shift pattern? For some strange reason I have always felt a little uncomfortable doing a red line shift with my Concours. I`m not missing shifts just feels weird. So I changed the linkage today and gave it a test run. I think I like it. I never really had that strange feeling with any of my other bikes. I got to run some curvy roads to check out the engine braking of my MRP flash. It works just like Steve said it would. Thanks Steve! :)

Not sure what you mean race shift pattern  :eek:

Don't think you can hurt the C14 I have one of Steves early flashes and I remember over-revving it twice at a track day,  I was not paying attention to the RPMs was looking for engine braking at next corner and then I hit the dead zone ...   

Don't worry be Happy :beerchug: 

I've been using that shift pattern for the last 25 years. The only bike I had that I could not use it on was my ST1100 for years ago.  More positive engagement for me and easier if I choose to up shift while banked over in a left hand corner. Mainly got used to it on track and did not want to be going back and forth.

its called GP shifter.. in a hard left turn on a race track you cannot get your foot under the shift lever to shift up  the gears  so when exiting the turn so you reverse the pattern and push down to shift up a gear. It can be confusing  but you get used to it.

The possibility of an accidental back shift near redline while getting used to 'race pattern' likely involves a crash or at least mechanical damage with the over rev keeps me with 'street patterns'. Even on my track bike. Over 50 years of street pattern, my brain is hardwired to lift for upshift and down for down shift. I'd kill myself trying to adapt at this juncture...

ddtmoto said:
The possibility of an accidental back shift near redline while getting used to 'race pattern' likely involves a crash or at least mechanical damage with the over rev keeps me with 'street patterns'. Even on my track bike. Over 50 years of street pattern, my brain is hardwired to lift for upshift and down for down shift. I'd kill myself trying to adapt at this juncture...
This^

YUP!  I have done it...wind the  bike out to red line... and then when you think your shifting UP I geared down...It doesnt hurt anything.. no drama at all...... remember we have slipper clutches .. they will save your @ZZ and the bike!
I have  access to custom cruisers with forward  and  rear shifters... some of them are also backwards...you get used to it..like anything else.

Daytona_Mike said:
YUP!  I have done it...wind the  bike out to red line... and then when you think your shifting UP I geared down...It doesnt hurt anything.. no drama at all...... remember we have slipper clutches .. they will save your @ZZ and the bike!
I have  access to custom cruisers with forward  and  rear shifters... some of them are also backwards...you get used to it..like anything else.

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) >:D :)) :)) :))

ask Conosticator just how that worked out for him on his C14, when he did one of those "max rpm...oooopsie" things....
and it went Kablammo....slipper work, somewhat... but it couldn't save that one...  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :truce: :D
I'm sure when the bike got into the dealership it was explained.. "man, I was having a great ride, and all of a sudden... I don't have any idea how this happened... it's under warranty tho, so... can ya fixzit?".... poor Conni spent about 2-1/2 weeks, a couple hundred miles from home, in intensive care... but it pulled thru... likely would have been a $5k bill, had it not been under fresh warranty.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Spiderman said:
Like ddtmoto said 1 up & 5 down. That`s the shift lever you`re moving with your left foot.  :-[
I understood the 1 up 5 down part. It was how that is achievable that I did not understand. You obviously have to change the direction of the linkage on the shift leaver do this or mod it. 

MAN OF BLUES said:
Daytona_Mike said:

ask Conosticator just how that worked out for him on his C14, when he did one of those "max rpm...oooopsie" things....
and it went Kablammo....slipper work, somewhat... but it couldn't save that one...  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :truce: :D
I'm sure when the bike got into the dealership it was explained.. "man, I was having a great ride, and all of a sudden... I don't have any idea how this happened... it's under warranty tho, so... can ya fixzit?".... poor Conni spent about 2-1/2 weeks, a couple hundred miles from home, in intensive care... but it pulled thru... likely would have been a $5k bill, had it not been under fresh warranty.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Might that be the one sitting in my garage or hopefully another one?  It's a 13. :-\

Zarticus said:
Spiderman said:
Like ddtmoto said 1 up & 5 down. That`s the shift lever you`re moving with your left foot.  :-[
I understood the 1 up 5 down part. It was how that is achievable that I did not understand. You obviously have to change the direction of the linkage on the shift leaver do this or mod it.
You just pull the lever off the shaft, flip it and re-install. Naturally you will probably need to adjust the link to suit your foot.

I have always seen the pros to it for hard track time or racing, and I even customized a 1979 D Ironhead Sporty and gave its 4 speed a race patter shift and it was sooo smooth and slick and easy. I usually have between 3 and 5 bikes so don't want to have to relearn muscle memory. Last time I recall an article on it in RR World only about half of the pros use it. Kinda like the Rossi leg out waving thing.

Bud said:
MAN OF BLUES said:
Daytona_Mike said:

Might that be the one sitting in my garage or hopefully another one?  It's a 13. :-\

no I don't think you need to worry...  :rotflmao:

Zarticus said:
Spiderman said:

yes, you have to **** with the shifter, and do a manual replacement.. and the outcome $$ is perceived.

I almost rode into traffic when test-riding my 72 Ironhead Sportster, since the shift and brake levers are reversed, like older British bikes. I guess I'll find out about muscle memory if I ever get that bike and/or my 1960 basket-case TR6 Triumph Trophy on the road.

I once saw a tech article where a guy built a couple linkages to make his Ironhead shift and brake in a "standard" manner. Lots of work.

Check back with me post-retirement, 2028 or so, and see how this pans out... :))

Hope this post wasn't considered off-topic... :-[ :-[ :-[

MAN OF BLUES said:
Daytona_Mike said:

I never said it was a Concours.        I was on a Gixxer 1000

It's called GP shift. First time I used it on the Gixxer out on Daytona I made a mistake and down shifted while on the high bank. Can't remember if it was the NASCAR 1 or NASCAR 2 but it was the one that didn't have the dip. Over revved the heck out of the engine and lost sight of Nate Kern who was my instructor to get my CCS/WERA license that weekend. He was on the new BMW 1000RR as it was in its first year out. He just kept pulling away when I missed my shift. Sure glad I didn't blow the engine and crash into the wall. Never made that mistake again and always kept it in that pattern through all my time racing.

You guys don't have to upshift at full lean angle coming out of a corner so it's not going to be a problem for you getting a toe under the shifter. No need to take this chance for street riding