• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Radial front tire??

Ghost Rider 2

What is the prefered front radial tire to run on a later model C10? Size and brand. I am going to a car tire radial on rear and want a radial on front. I run a car tire on my Goldwing and it is fantastic. I have never been a fan of bias bike tire.

I have a 2006 and have put 12,280 miles on the front Avon Spirit with still reasonable tread left and no cupping, but will change soon with the rear.
The front is a 110/80/ZR18.
I try to keep the tires at 42psi cold.

Anybody use a Continental ContiAttack2 ? I ran a set on a 1400 Connie couple years back. Grip was great. Little fast wear. But I fine with 5 or 6 thousand miles if grip is very good. Just not sure how they work on a C10

In the 110/80-ZR18 you can get the PR3 which is what I have fitted and prefer for the narrower rim.
Other options are the Avon Storm 3DXM, Avon Spirit ST, AngelGT, and a few others.
In the 120/70-ZR18 you can get the PR4GT, PR5GT, AngelGT, Storm 3DXM, Spirit ST, and many others.

might as well match the back

Attachments

• 5b27f1f1-5768-4706-a70c-d395a85e2532_1.8221e42a0adaf080d8d8ece0b883f046.jpeg
    5b27f1f1-5768-4706-a70c-d395a85e2532_1.8221e42a0adaf080d8d8ece0b883f046.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 166
The Maxxis 16" tire did not work. It rubbed the swing arm. I found an article where another rider installed one back in 2008 using a 15" wheel. Took some work and determination but the car tire is now on the bike. Now to get a radial front ordered and installed.

What is the prefered front radial tire to run on a later model C10? Size and brand. I am going to a car tire radial on rear and want a radial on front. I run a car tire on my Goldwing and it is fantastic. I have never been a fan of bias bike tire.
I rode a 2002 C10 for 9 years and 98,000 miles before moving on to a 2009 C14. I highly recommend Avon Spirit ST front tire. I used the 120/70ZR18 for years, with excellent results. It is a radial tire. I had both front and rear Avon Spirit STs, both radials, for years.

I'm installing them on my "new" C14 next week. Great tires, work well in wet and dry, and last a reasonable number of miles. Excellent handling on curvy roads, of which we have plenty in my four-state area (MD, PA, WV, and VA). Nick Diaz, Middletown, MD.

I’ve been running the Dunlop RS3 for about 4 months now and couldn’t be happier.
Matches the RS3 on the rear.
Gotta love the MS conversion

I rode a 2002 C10 for 9 years and 98,000 miles before moving on to a 2009 C14. I highly recommend Avon Spirit ST front tire. I used the 120/70ZR18 for years, with excellent results. It is a radial tire. I had both front and rear Avon Spirit STs, both radials, for years.

I'm installing them on my "new" C14 next week. Great tires, work well in wet and dry, and last a reasonable number of miles. Excellent handling on curvy roads, of which we have plenty in my four-state area (MD, PA, WV, and VA). Nick Diaz, Middletown, MD.
Hi marinick14716 - thanks for you comment about the Spirit ST tire. I finally have a C-10 after 'looking' for 35 years (!) My 2006 model came with a 110/80-18 AVON RoadRider bias-ply tire and a Michelin Commander II bias-ply rear, but I want to try modern radials as I have upgraded the front suspension with RaceTech springs and emulators along with a fork brace. I see that AVON recommends a 3.5" width wheel for their 120/70ZR18 front tire. I also see from generic fitment charts that a 3.0" wheel is deemed to be OK for a 120 width tire. Kawasaki is known for putting tires on skinny rims (KLR650 for example). Your excellent results with the 120/70 aligns with Kawasaki's wheel selection, but do you (or someone you know) have experience with the 110/80 Spirit ST - i.e. is one better or different in handling than the other?

I tried something strange on my bike.
On the rear, I replaced the OEM sized 150/80-16 radial with a 180/60-16 radial.
Squeezing that wide/low tire onto the narrow C-10 rim seriously changes the profile of the tire (it becomes close to the profile of the front tire)
As a result, the bike turns in VERY quickly.
Not sure I can suggest it as a good idea for those that like to ride long road trips, but it sure is fun in the Twisties. <grin>

Here is the discussion where we discussed the idea.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I have Shinko Journeys on my 05. They are radials. GoldWing size. Much easier to get on the center stand.

Hi marinick14716 - thanks for you comment about the Spirit ST tire. I finally have a C-10 after 'looking' for 35 years (!) My 2006 model came with a 110/80-18 AVON RoadRider bias-ply tire and a Michelin Commander II bias-ply rear, but I want to try modern radials as I have upgraded the front suspension with RaceTech springs and emulators along with a fork brace. I see that AVON recommends a 3.5" width wheel for their 120/70ZR18 front tire. I also see from generic fitment charts that a 3.0" wheel is deemed to be OK for a 120 width tire. Kawasaki is known for putting tires on skinny rims (KLR650 for example). Your excellent results with the 120/70 aligns with Kawasaki's wheel selection, but do you (or someone you know) have experience with the 110/80 Spirit ST - i.e. is one better or different in handling than the other?
Hi, al.brost5294. From the start I've been using the 120/70-18 size radial on my 2002 C-10, which I rode for 9 years and almost 100K miles. I don't know anyone in particular who's installed the narrower 110/80 size. I had absolutely no problem with the 120/70 size during all those years and miles. Only one case of slow deflation all that time. My C-10 handled quite well with the 120/70 size. Many guys swear up and down that the 110/80 size is "the one" recommended. I never paid any attention to that, but stuck with what worked for me all that time.

Nick Diaz, Middletown, MD

Hi, al.brost5294. From the start I've been using the 120/70-18 size radial on my 2002 C-10, which I rode for 9 years and almost 100K miles. I don't know anyone in particular who's installed the narrower 110/80 size. I had absolutely no problem with the 120/70 size during all those years and miles. Only one case of slow deflation all that time. My C-10 handled quite well with the 120/70 size. Many guys swear up and down that the 110/80 size is "the one" recommended. I never paid any attention to that, but stuck with what worked for me all that time.

Nick Diaz, Middletown, MD
Thanks for the feedback Nick. I'll be installing Avon Spirit ST's before the 2022 riding season.

I used to have 2 C-10's. (1 with belted / 1 with radials)
If someone rode either one of them, they would say it handled fine.
But if a person rode both, he would notice that the bike with radials took quite a bit less force to turn.
ie; To enter a turn, you gently push on the bars (radials) vs firmly push on the bars (bias ply).

That said, either works.

Recently, I've been trying to find a set of radial tires for my Son's C-10.
(110/80-18 and 150/80-16)
Had difficulty in finding places that had both front/rear in stock.
The only ones I've found (in stock) were the Avon 3D-XM's.
Has anyone found any other Radials in stock? (in these sizes)

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Al, as you already have the front-end modification's, I suggest;
1) Install a ZZR-1200 rear shock
2) Set the sag on "both" ends.. (Most have the C-10 suspension set far too soft)

Last edited: