• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Radiator Guard; Frugal COGger style

connie_rider

I've always intended to install a radiator Guard on my C-14, but the price they want for something so simple, kept me from doing so.
Recently another COGger had the misfortune of a rock to his radiator.
      Results were not good.  :truce:

This got my attention, so {charge card in-hand} I decided to order.
While looking for the correct guard to order, I came across this and {being Frugal} I ordered one..
{It was $40 vs $75-$100}
    [yes, I know I'm a tight a__]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arashi-Radiator-Grille-Cover-Guard-Shield-Fit-07-16-KAWASAKI-GTR1400-Concours-14/202160637367?epid=10007590045&hash=item2f11b685b7:g:39cAAOSw4T5XHfrM&vxp=mtr

It just arrived.
Not installed yet, but looks good.
  Not as tough looking as the more expensive, but has more mounting ear's than I saw on others.
  Also has  rubber stand-off's to hold the guard away from the radiator.
    So air flow and protection may be better..?

Posting it here for you other Tight A__'s to consider...

Ride safe, Ted

I purchased the Cox guard for $80 from RevZilla
Aluminum framework/screen are rigid, well built
It attaches with supplied nut/bolt on bottom and designed to attach via zip-tie on top 2x
It came with 8 self-adhesive foam pillows and those pillows degraded over time from heat
Stick-on's and heat never work for me
I used 1/4 rubber tube, 6 pcs 1" length with one length-wise slit so it fits nicely around the frame thickness and holds the guard 3mm off the radiator
I believe these foam pillows, rubber stand-offs are designed to keep the guard from contacting the aluminum radiator and not for airflow
They allow compliance when the guard meets a small rock or bug
Big bugs alone do significant damage to the fins over time, without a guard
I also have a front fender-extender

Ted

Let me know how the guard works out.  I know I paid more for the Cox guard but I also liked the fact it is made in the USA.  I try to buy US as much as possible even though it typically comes at a premium.

Steve

JDSCO said:
I purchased the Cox guard for $80 from RevZilla
Aluminum framework/screen are rigid, well built
It attaches with supplied nut/bolt on bottom and designed to attach via zip-tie on top 2x
It came with 8 self-adhesive foam pillows and those pillows degraded over time from heat
Stick-on's and heat never work for me
I used 1/4 rubber tube, 6 pcs 1" length with one length-wise slit so it fits nicely around the frame thickness and holds the guard 3mm off the radiator
I believe these foam pillows, rubber stand-offs are designed to keep the guard from contacting the aluminum radiator and not for airflow
They allow compliance when the guard meets a small rock or bug
Big bugs alone do significant damage to the fins over time, without a guard
I also have a front fender-extender

THat tubing is a good idea.
The foam weather stripping that comes with the kits is kind of worthless.

I may do that next time I have the fairing off.  :beerchug:

gr

ron203 said:
A couple of years ago, somebody made one out of gutter screen.

My current C14 came with a cox. But on my first 08 I made the guard out of a $3 dollar gutter guard from home depot using instruction posted on one of the concours forum. The key too making it work was cutting the guard to the exact length needed for a perfect fit. Unfortunately I don't rember waht that was. :-[ I did that in the first year of ownership and it was effective for 100,000 plus miles. If I did it again I would simply coat the ends of the guard where it fits into the edge of the radiator with liquid tape to prevent possible metal to metal rubbing.

I like the looks of that radiator guard, but I think I'd cut the manufacturer's name out of the middle.  No sense blocking air flow in that area.

Just purchased a 2018 Concours after a three year diversion to a good wing. Was there a change in radiator?  Will any c14 radiator guard fit my bike?

My Frugal ($40) Radiator Guard came in recently.
Hope to install it tomorrow.
I was impressed by the looks. Will find out soon how it fits...

Les, I thought about removing the name, but the name can't be removed.
Not an airflow issue though. This thing will flow plenty of air as it has spacers that provide an air gap.

To the best of my knowledge, all C-14 radiators are the same.

Ride safe, Ted

ron203 said:
A couple of years ago, somebody made one out of gutter screen.

A little more than a couple of years ago...  I did the gutter screen thing on my '09 and it served it purpose (and looks fine IMHO) for the 75K miles put on it.  I then traded the '09 for a '13, where I transferred the same gutter screen to.  I now have 65 K on the '13 and no issues...

The guard itself is exactly the right size...
Had to bend the tabs a bit to use the radiator mounting bolts.
Took a bit to get those right, but fits fine after that.

Photo's to follow.

NOTE: I had the plastic off when I did the install.
          {If you use tie wraps instead of the bolts} it "might" be possible to do the install, with plastic on..

Ride safe, Ted

MGalleryItem.php

If anyone looks at the grill and happens to ask,, I'll just say that I think "Arashi" is a Japanese Race team.
ie; "Arashi racing"

{I never lie. I just stretch the truth occasionally}..    :32:

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
If anyone looks at the grill and happens to ask,, I'll just say that I think "Arashi" is a Japanese Race team.
ie; "Arashi racing"

{I never lie. I just stretch the truth occasionally}..    :32:

Ride safe, Ted

It's Chinese manufactured....

I know that..  But don't tell anyone...
That's a secret that the Japanese Racing Team doesn't share with anyone..
            shhhhhhh    :67:

Ride safe, Ted

JDSCO said:
Ride safe, "Arashi"

I kinda like the sound of that.
Maybe I can start a movement by saying "Arashi"!!! to everyone at the National.... <evil plan>
  Maybe they'll pick it up, and everyone will go around saying "Arashi"!!!

Ride safe, Ted

PS: err,,, Back to the inexpensive Radiator Guard. Worked out pretty good.    "Arashi"!!!!

Thinking of installing something like these, any updates to what's been said above? Saw a few on ebay that looked nice, most around $40-$80, An Arashi with a "GTR 1400" logo on it, different colors too. Thoughts?

If you have any doubts about whether or not they're needed, this is how mine looked when I removed to repaint it.

Attachments

• 20200719_113203_resized.jpg
    20200719_113203_resized.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 113
  • 20200719_113117_resized.jpg
    20200719_113117_resized.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 106
OK, that's what I thought, can't figure why they didn't put one on like the C-10 had. Some seem to fit better than others but the Arashi seems to come up a lot.

I have relied on the Extender from Blue One on all 3 of my Connies. Always played with the idea of a rediator guard in addition to the extender ....but you know the Cheapest thing on a C 14. ????

The rider.

So seeing this thread got me wondering about finding one for my C-10.
Have the stock screen but searched eBay for one a bit more robust.
Found this OEM for $8.00 but $160 shipping.
Yeah right🤣🤣🤣

Revzilla's got one for $80, Arashi has a couple different nice ones, $45, shipped from China with a caveat that it may take awhile to get here ie; good luck as it's trapped in a closed down port city but tell you what, we'll take your money, there's a few more on ebay with questionable dimensions where they even say "be sure this is what you want as it might fit your bike", and, "this thing might be bent up, but don't worry, it bends back real good", but, then again, maybe not, also China but with reasonable sounding and quite elaborate return policies. Still searching.

Says it's for '08-'19, I imagine the radiators haven't changed since then so it should fit a new '22?

Revzilla's got one for $80, Arashi has a couple different nice ones, $45, shipped from China with a caveat that it may take awhile to get here ie; good luck as it's trapped in a closed down port city but tell you what, we'll take your money, there's a few more on ebay with questionable dimensions where they even say "be sure this is what you want as it might fit your bike", and, "this thing might be bent up, but don't worry, it bends back real good", but, then again, maybe not, also China but with reasonable sounding and quite elaborate return policies. Still searching.
I have the Arashi on my bike and it fit well. (I think I had to make one of the mount holes a bit larger)
NOTE: The Arashi has small plastic stand-off's installed that leaves a gap between the shield and the radiator.
I think the stand-off's are an advantage as the gap between shield/radiator further prevents radiator rock damage..

Last edited:
The extender Cliff posted looks to be a Blue One extender.
On the size comment, I've heard that Cliff has an amazing imagination.

Ride safe, Ted

Found these