• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Radiator patch at national

Konehead34

For those of u who might be interested, the corvette atomic  orange c14 made it home to georgia.

While at the national on thursday, my left side (shifter side) radiator fan wore some holes in 3 cooling ribs. The major one was approximately an inch long while  the other 2 were a 1/4 inch in size.  Of course this had to happen on thursday around noon while I was up near Hyner view on the gravel access road. ( no I did not know there was a paved road to the viewing area).  Of course it puked out most of the coolant and after walking a considerable distance to find help because the cell phone had no reception up there, I had no choice but to get her back out to Hyner view road where I should find some help.  She had cooled enough to start her for short runs going up hill, and once over the Crest, clutch in motor off and coasted down the gravel rd. 3 Miles later I made it to hyner. 

There were 3 other Coggers there debating on if this was the best way there.  I told them "no" and explained my situation and they readily gave up their water.  I began taking off plastic panels to ascertain where the leak was from but it wasn't obvious then.  Another Cogger on a fjr stopped and offered me his rok  straps to hold down my panels to my rear seat, along with another bottle of water.  A gas company worker gave me an addition 3 bottles of water. 
Well I was able to make it to 44 at 664 and pulled in the at the fin, fur and feather outpost defeated.  Here I was able to make tow arrangements  and discovered after taking off the radiator rock guard where she was leaking from.  Directly at the fan blades.  With the help of another 6 or 6 Coggers, we got here loaded up on the trailer and were delivered back at the hotel safe and sound, by a local man and his 94 year old father, a ww2 vet who fought in the Pacific. 
Any way cogs jack of all trades, Ted adcock, loaned me the requested tools and I did an impomto tech session on how to remove and flush a c14 radiator.  There on the b tdd co side were 3 nicely worn down holes from the plastic fan blade assembly.  Yes boys and girls and moms and dads of all ages, with enough time plastic will wear through aluminum.  I wouldnt have guessed it.

Armed with a can of brake cleaner and good old JB weld. I cleaned off the damaged area and mixed up a sufficient quantity of the gooey stuff to fill and cover the holes. 
I skip to the heroic ending...she carried me home, even in the 4 hour 95 degree stand still of traffic through Fredericksburg virginia, all the way down south to guyton georgia. 

Yes I can here mob already saying it... worthless without pictures, and as some as I figure out how to transfer from the too smart phone to the computer ill.post them. 

But this thread wouldnt be complete with thanking all those unnamed coggers who stopped to help...join for the bike, but dam well stay for all.those excellent people!!!

konehead said:
Yes I can here mob already saying it... worthless without pictures, and as some as I figure out how to transfer from the too smart phone to the computer ill.post them. 

Until then, here are a few I took...

I wasn't cruel enough to stand over you and take photos of the split in the tube were the fan shroud was rubbing. However after you had repaired it and went into the banquet, I had no problem coming out and taking photos under the cover of darkness.  >:D

Hey Pat...  Sorry for your grief. Sure glad it all worked out and the patch repair got you home without another incident. tcars

fartymarty said:
konehead said:

Until then, here are a few I took...

I wasn't cruel enough to stand over you and take photos of the split in the tube were the fan shroud was rubbing. However after you had repaired it and went into the banquet, I had no problem coming out and taking photos under the cover of darkness.  >:D

I was wondering who owned that nicely painted ride.. now I know.. I was being on my best behavior, so I wouldn't have dissed ya, but I woulda taken pictures had I seen it..  I was actually at rally central, when the call came in for "a truck and trailer... we have a piper down, we have a Piper down...".... but Ted wouldn't answer his phone.. never saw what was the outcome....

JB Weld.. gotta love it... works everytime.  you just reminded me to go buy another "stick" of the putty, I tossed mine when I was loading my tool kit for the ride, the tube was cracked from carrying it for 50k miles.... and completely forgot to buy a new one... doh..  but I did have fresh tubes of the "goober mix" stuff...

I gotz one word..."Mylers". Mylers aluminum radiator repair from Utah. Have used them a dozen times and they do miracle with rads for a fraction of the cost of new or the sketchy used off Ebay. I get no kickbacks, just uber satisfying results from them.

during my valve adjust and coolant hose replacement I had the radiator out to make the process easiest.  I had the fans on the floor of the shop away from the business, and at some point kicked or nudged the one fan with the side of my shoe.  I'm assuming I put a bend in the bracket, but after mounting the fan back on the radiator I didnt notice any contact with the fins...I'm guessing it was just enough.  It didnt help that in the 3 months leading up to the national, that I only got her hot enough for the fans to come on once.  I had what I thought was a loose rattle and after she cooled down I checked the radiator mounting bolts and fan bolts but everything was good and tight....should have dug deeper I guess..

...and thanks marty.... wish u were there when I had it out... send me ur email and I'll forward u the pics...

I will be looking at getting it repaired ..new from competion accessories is $950 smackers...  although ted says I can buy good quality new on Ebay from China that's the same stuff cheaper....lol

Pat, that was me on the FJR with the ROK straps. Glad you made it back to rally central. Thanks for returning the straps. To be honest I forgot about them and probably wouldn't have missed them. I was happy I could help out in some small way.

Hmmm. Think I need to put some JB weld in my tank bag. That idea would be worth more than the price of ROK straps.

JB Weld for another win. I watched a guy (Tumu Rock) take a huge chunk out of the lower case of his KLR650 at a PA off road run a long while back. I think it took several tubes across several members, but it got him back to NY without issue. I honestly don't know how long he ran it after that, but it was a lot longer than just the trip back.
Between the liquid to seal the edges and the sticks to fill in the bigger parts, I don't remember it even leaking at that point. Good stuff, should carry at least a sample of each.
(there's a metal reinforced version, a ''tap-able' version IIRC as well. Stuff just works)

millerized said:
JB Weld for another win. I watched a guy (Tumu Rock) take a huge chunk out of the lower case of his KLR650 at a PA off road run a long while back. I think it took several tubes across several members, but it got him back to NY without issue. I honestly don't know how long he ran it after that, but it was a lot longer than just the trip back.
Between the liquid to seal the edges and the sticks to fill in the bigger parts, I don't remember it even leaking at that point. Good stuff, should carry at least a sample of each.
(there's a metal reinforced version, a ''tap-able' version IIRC as well. Stuff just works)

Man, THAT was a long time ago.... IIRC Guy B was there also, I seem to remember him showing me a picture of that repair... and saying "amazing stuff...."...And it was a HUGE hole for sure..  priceless in any situation for sure; and as you note, they have really expanded the product "line" to include various other compositions that resist heat, and also fuels, and contain actual metal powders and such.. you seldom see the full "line" at parts stores, but go online and research the stuff, it's all great...  :great: :great: :great:

millerized said:

Vermont Jimmy. Tumu rode it back to Vermont.

noab%201-L.jpg

noab%202-L.jpg

:)

MAN OF BLUES said:
millerized said:

Man, THAT was a long time ago.... IIRC Guy B was there also, I seem to remember him showing me a picture of that repair... and saying "amazing stuff...."...And it was a HUGE hole for sure..  priceless in any situation for sure; and as you note, they have really expanded the product "line" to include various other compositions that resist heat, and also fuels, and contain actual metal powders and such.. you seldom see the full "line" at parts stores, but go online and research the stuff, it's all great...  :great: :great: :great:

connieklr said:
millerized said:

Knew it was further than anyone thought possible. Glad someone had photo's and a back up on the story.
Some days I think I imagined the whole  Zack/Mark/Tumu/Shane/Jake/Tammy et.al. KLR owning era, at least until I try walking a straight line. Thank God for alcohol and pain meds.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :beerchug:

millerized said:
connieklr said:
millerized said:

Knew it was further than anyone thought possible. Glad someone had photo's and a back up on the story.
Some days I think I imagined the whole  Zack/Mark/Tumu/Shane/Jake/Tammy et.al. KLR owning era, at least until I try walking a straight line. Thank God for alcohol and pain meds.

I gleaned those from the video of the three of them crashing after hitting the washout on the old rail bed.

connieklr said:
I gleaned those from the video of the three of them crashing after hitting the washout on the old rail bed.
Devon? I think that was the guy from NY. Showed up to the next event on a KLR250 after learning to fly on (off) his 650. (hit a cab IIRC? again, memories a bit foggy)
Those events were pushing my abilities, even at my younger age. All day in areas I'd hesitate to take a walk in these days lest the hunters find me months later.
Aaah...good times.

millerized said:
connieklr said:
Devon? I think that was the guy from NY. Showed up to the next event on a KLR250 after learning to fly on (off) his 650. (hit a cab IIRC? again, memories a bit foggy)
Those events were pushing my abilities, even at my younger age. All day in areas I'd hesitate to take a walk in these days lest the hunters find me months later.
Aaah...good times.

T'was. Devon Jarvis, a photographer in the City. Super nice dude, and he did get trashed in a bike vs cage incident. Survived, but the KLR with the nice Dave Jakeman cartridge fork implant was destroyed. Zack, and maybe Tumu also had the conversion.

Dave passed not too long after the '04 event I attended. Never got full credit for coming up with the aftermarket doohickey fix. Idea grabbed by another who still markets them today. Sad the way that stuff works sometimes.

Glad you made it home Konehead.
Just got home myself and checked immediately to see if you had posted a safe arrival.
Yahooo!

Ride safe, Ted

Hi Konehead,

I, too, am glad you made it back.  I was riding the Neptune Blue 2010 C14 that passed by you and then came back to check on you.  When I got back to the hotel lot, my wife met me with some cold water from the lobby.  I downed it lickety split and asked for more.  She asked me what had happened to the bottle I took with me; I just said I donated it to someone who needed it way more than I did.

I was more than happy to help.  That could be me someday.

Stay for the people, indeed!  :beerchug:     

TRM-KS said:
Hi Konehead,

I, too, am glad you made it back.  I was riding the Neptune Blue 2010 C14 that passed by you and then came back to check on you.  When I got back to the hotel lot, my wife met me with some cold water from the lobby.  I downed it lickety split and asked for more.  She asked me what had happened to the bottle I took with me; I just said I donated it to someone who needed it way more than I did.

I was more than happy to help.  That could be me someday.

Stay for the people, indeed!  :beerchug:   

:beerchug:

I couldnt have made it back to where I could.get help without u two.  Thanks again cookie and trm.  I was a little concerned I wasnt gonna get it bottle back to you, cuz u hadn't come by prior to the start of dinner.  I was still out there wrenching her back together and thought I missed u. 

Ted was sharp enough to send me a couple links to some radiators and I snatched a used one on Ebay that looked pretty good and has a 30 day warranty for less than $75.  New from ma kaw was $945...

It's kinda funny but I really think karma has alot to do with things.  I make it a point to stop and offer assistance when I can and had recently stopped on my bike to help a couple changing a trailer tire about a month earlier.  It's just one of those things that I do to feel like I'm being good towards my fellow man...

And I'll see if I can get those pics onto the computer so I can post them...thanks again to y'all...

that kind of Karma, the good stuff, paid in advance, always gets returned at some point...  :great: :great: :great: :great:

I was at rally central, trying to locate a truck and trailer for ya... in the back ground...  :rotflmao:
But Ted never returned my call...  :-\ :-\ :-\

Kudos man,
ride safe, that JB weld radiator might live for 15 years, I've seen that myself.

Glad you got that radiator Konehead.
Was surprised that I found that deal!!

Rich, I didn't receive your call?? Probably because I had no signal where I was riding.
Probably wouldn't have helped if I had received it, as my trailer was locked and I was 100 miles away from it at the time.

Will check my old messages and see if I missed one.

Ride safe, Ted

Update; No messages, no recorded calls??

konehead said:
...and thanks marty.... wish u were there when I had it out... send me ur email and I'll forward u the pics...

I was out there then, but like I said I didn't have the heart to stand over you and take pictures. I saw the slit in the
horizontal tube. I would have felt like a vulture over a fresh kill taking pictures. I'm glad it all worked out for you.
Beautiful bike by the way, even when laying around in pieces in a parking lot.

I thought there was a little envelope thing by my profile for an email..(another of Marty's COG forum hangups, I probably need a moderator for that too. shheesh!)
.....anyway konehead, I'll PM my email address and put up any photos you'd like for me to post in this thread.

Here are the photos konehead (aka Patrick) sent to me. Click on each photo to enlarge, and then click again for full size.

Thanks for up loading the pictures i sent u Marty, and ted I was as surprised as u were about that ebay radiator... timely and at a fantastic price...

Anyhow, bikes all put back together, even did my fork seals while I had the radiator out. And good golly how the fork oil got on everything except the brake pads...but they are nearly shot soooooo.  I'll replace them tomorrow.  Heading out west to branson and eureka falls for a week on labor day.

Like ted says,  y'all ride safe.

I joined for the bike, and I'll stay for all you wonderful people....thanks boys and girls....