• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Re: So what's the best brand/model tires for the C14?

zrxmax

Pistons, Cams, and Valves!
Hello fellow 1400 owners!  ( my first post )
I just took ownership of a 2010 ABS 1400 that I am very pleased with it so far. ( Motorcycle # 16 )  I still have my 05 Busa that has seen mulitple sets of Continental ( Conti Motion ) tires installed on it over a period of 44,000 miles since 2013.  I am about to change tires from the old Michelins that are on it now and test out a set of fresh Conti motion tires.  I don't expect them to last a real long time...  however...  I ride fairly hard on the Busa and get over 5000 miles on a set of tires.  They actually start to deteriorate in terms of handling around 4500 miles with the Busa... so...  we shall see what happens with ride quality and wear durability once installed on the 1400.  The kicker is this...  they are cheap... and seem to be a well made as any other tire I have ever used before.  In the past on other motorcycles ( been riding since 1971 ) my tire choices have mostly been Dunlop and Bridgestone with Goodyear and other brands over the years.  In the last 10 years other than Continentals its been Dunlop for my last two sport bikes.  All I can say is I like the feel of the Continentals ( for the money )  and look forward to mounting them on the 1400.  I will report back in a few weeks when its all said and done and I get to test them out on the curves.     

Welcome your first post - from a WA state guy.

With your good results combining your current 'Busa bike and the ContiMotion tires, those same tires could be the ones to try with the C-14. 
Glad you say you'll be reporting back.  Maybe a few photos, even? ... if you're able to figure out how to post them.   

In a bit, suggest you try to get to a Connie group ride or meet as this virus thing winds down.  Think you'll enjoy it. 

Welcome Ted. I like tires, but will not be suckered into a tire thread. Can't wait to hear your review of the Cont, as long as they are circular, black, and hold air you should be happy!

Resists Flame for having 1 post and starting a tire thread.

I'm sure you know better coming from the Busa Board.

Search is your FRIEND.  :beerchug:

Welcome aboard.

My choice is Shinko Verge 016... Flame suit is on  :-[ They work for me, they handle well. Smooth as silk at all speeds. The price is just a bonus, I don't mind paying for quality but I just don't see any added value for paying more. As soon as I wear out these overpriced Michelins I'm going back.
Lots of good reading in C14 Tires/Suspension section here. Should aid in your decision.
  Oh yeah, welcome aboard Ted!!!

'HEY" Ya'll go EZ on "Ted"!   :41:
        As he's a "Ted", he's prolly a better rider than most of you, smart, a really nice guy. {and handsome too}  ;)

I agree with the others though "Ted".
    A search will give you more info on tires for the C-14 than you can read.

That sed; The current inexpensive tire that gives decent traction/mileage, is the Dunlop Road Smart II Sportmax.
                (ie;  Ya can buy a pair for under $200)

Ride safe, "Ted"

Schooled me Ted...
I just researched those Dunlop Road Smart II Sportmax. They are actually a few bucks less than my beloved Shinko's and the reviews on the site I buy from are all very good. The tread design looks nice also. Look to be an inexpensive option worth a try.

I'll agree with everyone else about the tire info on this site. I will however comment on the Conti's since I tried a set. They were toast at 1,900 miles, that's not even 1/2 of a 2 week ride so for that reason they're not for me.

connie_rider said:
'HEY" Ya'll go EZ on "Ted"!   :41:
        As he's a "Ted", he's prolly a better rider than most of you, smart, a really nice guy. {and handsome too}  ;)
Ride safe, "Ted"

Ted's just he wishes he was all that!  :nananana:

What a group of fun and thought provoking intellects we have here!  Thanks for the warm and fuzzy comments that made me laugh.  I haven't swapped out the old rubber for the new Conti s yet as their are so many maintenance projects happening in my garage right now.  I am still getting familiar with the 14 that is a dream to ride so updates and pictures will appear soon. 
Looks like I will have to upgrade my membership and ride out to an event where the real BS can be experienced first hand.  ;)
All the best
Ted   

If you head this way, stop by and pick up Kuzin' Ted in New Mexico.
  {We decided that since we were both COGgers, and had the same name, we had to be kin folk}.
    If'n you join the COG {and promise never to say anything nice about Cliff} we might let you be a second Kuzin'.
    As far as the BS, come to a COG rally and meet Kuzin' Ted. He's full of it..  :great:

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I'm shocked you get 5000 miles out of a set of tires on a Busa.  :-\
        {Mebbe we aren't kin}  :-[

Welcome Ted. Great to have you join us.  :great: I won't add to the tire thread saga as the site has A LOT of info on this already.

Don't let any comments by the resident chuckleheads scare you away, this is a great website, and like strychnine, safe in small doses.

Are not  the Roadsmart II and the Sportmax 2 different models?

That sed; The current inexpensive tire that gives decent traction/mileage, is the Dunlop Road Smart II Sportmax.
                (ie;  Ya can buy a pair for under $200)

Ride safe, "Ted"
[/quote]

When I got mine, I also thought Sportmax was incorrect.
  But my tires have Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II printed on them.

I think what we're both thinking, is; They also offer a Dunlop Sportmax Roadsport II tire..

Ride safe, Ted

That is what I was thinking. I have never even looked at mine yet!

connie_rider said:
When I got mine, I also thought Sportmax was incorrect.
  But my tires have Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II printed on them.

I think what we're both thinking, is; They also offer a Dunlop Sportmax Roadsport II tire..

Ride safe, Ted

Ted said:
What a group of fun and thought provoking intellects we have here!  Thanks for the warm and fuzzy comments that made me laugh.  I haven't swapped out the old rubber for the new Conti s yet as their are so many maintenance projects happening in my garage right now.  I am still getting familiar with the 14 that is a dream to ride so updates and pictures will appear soon. 
Looks like I will have to upgrade my membership and ride out to an event where the real BS can be experienced first hand.  ;)
All the best
Ted 

I popped a Conti Motion on the rear after I learned the hard way the prior owner had plugged the lousy Michelin on my (new to me) Connie 14. Can't wait to wear out the front so I have a matched set!! And after AAA left Connie and I standing beside the road after more than 20 years of Premier membership, it doesn't hurt that Conti tires include 3 years of roadside assistance, including 75 miles of towing at no extra cost. It's a fact I have my Conti membership printed and in my bikes glove box! Not that it will save me from ditching AAA, that was a mistake Auto Club leaving me out in the desert like that  :-[ - thanks for the 20 years of membership INDEED!  :mad:

Enjoy the ride,
Jon

AAA never showed or did but didn’t fix it?  Like you I’m 25+ years Silver member.  I’ve never had an issue with them in my cars.  Is it a bike thing?  Was counting on calling them if I ever broke down...

Welcome aboard.
I think you should start with the Road 5 GT’S and use them as a barometer. Meaning see how they hold up to your riding style and then look at if you want more sport or more tour type tires.

JJ

First, welcome aboard. 

Second, I just shake my head looking at a "tire" thread.  Where's the popcorn? 

Revzilla is your friend.  Or any online store that sells tires.  You can look at the tires in the "sport touring" category, look at the reviews, look at the prices...and make a choice.  None of those choices will be "bad". 

I really think the difference between the Michelin Road 5 and a Dunlop RoadSmart III or Continental RoadAttack III is minimal for performance.  That's wet weather performance, dry road performance, and longevity.  The biggest difference is price. 

Chris

Just recieved my Roadsmart 3's yesterday.  Am I a fan of saving money, yes! Would I rather spend a little more for an updated, newer build date tire?  Yes!  Speaking of build dates. One has the typical 4 digit code week-year. The other has 4 letters... 🤷‍♂️

There are plenty of tires out there and even more worthless opinions on said tires.  :mad:

MY CONNIE RIDING EXPERIENCE ON MICHELINS THAT CAME WITH HER
Go with what you like and I would say you have had great luck with Busa using Conti's, so I see no reason to change. I got my Connie in April and loved everything about her except for the Michelin's she had on her her. To me they made her feel sporty, but a bit unstable in a turn - which I improved with higher pressure (over spec). I ride a pretty even split between desert and mountain roads with a 6000 ft altitude change each way for my daily commute. So my tires get a bit of a workout between the climbing and descending turns, Connie's weight, and my more than ample waist line! I am currently 280 lbs, so I am virtually two up all the time. Needless to say, the tires, brakes, and clutch see some wear in my commute and the tires are a very important part of that trip. Some say, make sure you have a tire kit, and I say I wish I had space on the sides of these roads to do a tire repair! They are few and a far between.

CONTI MOTIONS WORK GREAT ON MY CONNIE:
After a flat rear last month and a ugly interaction with AAA I made a few changes. First, I put a fresh Conti Motion on the rear and I have 16 daily round trips on that tire and it feels terrific! And after those 1600 miles it looks virtually untouched. But the now angry front Michelin went from 50% left on it, to completely smooth sides with a diamond shape in just over 1,300 miles. This afternoon I will go 50 miles back home after putting 250 miles on a new Conti Motion on the front - and my Connie feels incredible! I put her in a turn and she stays exactly where I put her with no need for correction. If I need to change tracks in a turn it is quick, but steady without a hint of a wobble. And to me the ride just feels better. Now I admit I am in this for mileage, and I am definitely not doing any hot canyon riding on her. But I do catch up with and pass my fair share of other bikes daily so I'm not exactly putting along. In my mind, the Conti Motions are just great on a Connie, not to mention they are dirt cheap!  :great:

THE CONTINENTAL TIRE BONUS:
But there is an added bonus............. CONTINENTAL INCLUDES FREE ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE AND TOWING UP TO 150 MILES WITH A TIRE PURCHASE FOR 3 YEARS!!

https://www.hotbikeweb.com/continental-tires-flat-tire-road-assistance
www.totalconfidence-plan.com

That benefit alone is huge.
AAA DOESN'T SEEM TO LIKE BIKE RIDERS TOO MUCH OR THEY WOULD COMMUNICATE WITH US BETTER: :'(
Like I said, I had an ugly run in with AAA last month due to my tires. After insuring ALL my bikes with AAA over the years, and 21 years of membership at their highest level - Premier. I learned something new when I really needed them...........bikes are not covered in California with a AAA membership at the Premier level their highest membership level!  :mad:  I thought I had it ALL and thought that for many years too! But it's a well hidden fact even on their website, or it was before I started raising hell with them about it, and I have insured 4 different bikes with them over the past 21 years, but they never mentioned there was an additional membership fee for a bike even when I added them to my AAA insurance. And according to their own rules I cannot even insure a bike without first having the bike membership add! Anyway I found out abut the additional unpaid fee when I was stuck side the road with a flat rear tire on my 9th day commuting on my C14. And they left me there!! They would not even contact a network driver so I could pay directly for the tow, they just said good luck and left me 8 miles from nowhere and I needed to find my own tow. Thank God my cell pone worked, because just 2 miles back up the road was a nearly 10 mile dead zone. I am happy to say that's  no longer is an issue, thank you Continental!  :beerchug:

ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES:
And AAA just lost a 21 year Premier member that insures everything I have that AAA insures with them - including my home! A member with a perfect driving record, no vehicle accidents and no insurance claims for anything! This event was my third roadside call in over 20 years, and I pay my bill AHEAD of time - all the time. A dream customer thrown away over a $188 tow and poor communication on their part. I have since called to complain and hopefully salvage the relationship,  but a rather nasty "supervisor" on the phone said they really don't care - and added that they would be writing up their agent for insuring my bike without checking to see if I have the proper membership! Say a whole lot about the AAA approach to customers and their staff who I think are excellent people for the most part. :??:

Get your suspension set up for you to give whatever tires you end up buying a fair chance.  Watch a few of Dave Moss videos on You Tube, he does a great explaining suspension.  Even with top of the line tires on you might have handling problems if your preload is set to high or low. 

2010 Kawasaki Concurs 1400
Forks-
Static Sag- 12mm +/-3mm
Rider Sag- 35mm +/-5mm

Shock-
Static Sag- 10mm +/-3mm
Rider Sag- 30mm +/-5mm

ursharkfuel said:
There are plenty of tires out there and even more worthless opinions on said tires.  :mad:

MY CONNIE RIDING EXPERIENCE ON MICHELINS THAT CAME WITH HER
Go with what you like and I would say you have had great luck with Busa using Conti's, so I see no reason to change. I got my Connie in April and loved everything about her except for the Michelin's she had on her her. To me they made her feel sporty, but a bit unstable in a turn - which I improved with higher pressure (over spec). I ride a pretty even split between desert and mountain roads with a 6000 ft altitude change each way for my daily commute. So my tires get a bit of a workout between the climbing and descending turns, Connie's weight, and my more than ample waist line! I am currently 280 lbs, so I am virtually two up all the time. Needless to say, the tires, brakes, and clutch see some wear in my commute and the tires are a very important part of that trip. Some say, make sure you have a tire kit, and I say I wish I had space on the sides of these roads to do a tire repair! They are few and a far between.

CONTI MOTIONS WORK GREAT ON MY CONNIE:
After a flat rear last month and a ugly interaction with AAA I made a few changes. First, I put a fresh Conti Motion on the rear and I have 16 daily round trips on that tire and it feels terrific! And after those 1600 miles it looks virtually untouched. But the now angry front Michelin went from 50% left on it, to completely smooth sides with a diamond shape in just over 1,300 miles. This afternoon I will go 50 miles back home after putting 250 miles on a new Conti Motion on the front - and my Connie feels incredible! I put her in a turn and she stays exactly where I put her with no need for correction. If I need to change tracks in a turn it is quick, but steady without a hint of a wobble. And to me the ride just feels better. Now I admit I am in this for mileage, and I am definitely not doing any hot canyon riding on her. But I do catch up with and pass my fair share of other bikes daily so I'm not exactly putting along. In my mind, the Conti Motions are just great on a Connie, not to mention they are dirt cheap!  :great:

THE CONTINENTAL TIRE BONUS:
But there is an added bonus............. CONTINENTAL INCLUDES FREE ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE AND TOWING UP TO 150 MILES WITH A TIRE PURCHASE FOR 3 YEARS!!

https://www.hotbikeweb.com/continental-tires-flat-tire-road-assistance
www.totalconfidence-plan.com

That benefit alone is huge.
AAA DOESN'T SEEM TO LIKE BIKE RIDERS TOO MUCH OR THEY WOULD COMMUNICATE WITH US BETTER: :'(
Like I said, I had an ugly run in with AAA last month due to my tires. After insuring ALL my bikes with AAA over the years, and 21 years of membership at their highest level - Premier. I learned something new when I really needed them...........bikes are not covered in California with a AAA membership at the Premier level their highest membership level!  :mad:  I thought I had it ALL and thought that for many years too! But it's a well hidden fact even on their website, or it was before I started raising hell with them about it, and I have insured 4 different bikes with them over the past 21 years, but they never mentioned there was an additional membership fee for a bike even when I added them to my AAA insurance. And according to their own rules I cannot even insure a bike without first having the bike membership add! Anyway I found out abut the additional unpaid fee when I was stuck side the road with a flat rear tire on my 9th day commuting on my C14. And they left me there!! They would not even contact a network driver so I could pay directly for the tow, they just said good luck and left me 8 miles from nowhere and I needed to find my own tow. Thank God my cell pone worked, because just 2 miles back up the road was a nearly 10 mile dead zone. I am happy to say that's  no longer is an issue, thank you Continental!  :beerchug:

ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES:
And AAA just lost a 21 year Premier member that insures everything I have that AAA insures with them - including my home! A member with a perfect driving record, no vehicle accidents and no insurance claims for anything! This event was my third roadside call in over 20 years, and I pay my bill AHEAD of time - all the time. A dream customer thrown away over a $188 tow and poor communication on their part. I have since called to complain and hopefully salvage the relationship,  but a rather nasty "supervisor" on the phone said they really don't care - and added that they would be writing up their agent for insuring my bike without checking to see if I have the proper membership! Say a whole lot about the AAA approach to customers and their staff who I think are excellent people for the most part. :??:
That's weird, like you I have everything insured with them, I also pay in advance/in full to insure it's available in good standing if and when needed. I have used the motorcycle towing three times in the thirty some odd years of coverage. I am tickled beyond belief with their service and coverage, drivers motorcycle towing knowledge and equipment provided. Zero complaints. I am unaware of the motorcycle specific fee? I have checked my "Premier" membership and see no mention of it. I would like to call for clarification (maybe opening a can of worms for me) Sorry for the bad experience, thanks for the heads up.

TireguyfromMA said:
Get your suspension set up for you to give whatever tires you end up buying a fair chance.  Watch a few of Dave Moss videos on You Tube, he does a great explaining suspension.  Even with top of the line tires on you might have handling problems if your preload is set to high or low. 

2010 Kawasaki Concurs 1400
Forks-
Static Sag- 12mm +/-3mm
Rider Sag- 35mm +/-5mm

Shock-
Static Sag- 10mm +/-3mm
Rider Sag- 30mm +/-5mm

Thanx Tireguy. Good info.
  I have my suspension set {as best I can with stock springs on a 2014}.
  Front is at 35mm Rider sag.
  As I recall I have the rear at about 35mm Rider sag {with 12 clicks}
    Not sure 30mm is possible with the stock/soft springs.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Has anyone heard from Kuzin Ted II ?

Tundra said:
That's weird, like you I have everything insured with them, I also pay in advance/in full to insure it's available in good standing if and when needed. I have used the motorcycle towing three times in the thirty some odd years of coverage. I am tickled beyond belief with their service and coverage, drivers motorcycle towing knowledge and equipment provided. Zero complaints. I am unaware of the motorcycle specific fee? I have checked my "Premier" membership and see no mention of it. I would like to call for clarification (maybe opening a can of worms for me) Sorry for the bad experience, thanks for the heads up.

It could be just a California thing. There are many differences between the states for AAA. One thing I do know NOW - but not before this happened - there is an additional fee and it covers Motorcycles and RV's. Not that a 40' RV has anything in common with my Connie - I'm just saying.....

And I would have to agree that up to this point, my AAA experience was VERY GOOD, but the way they handled this was completely off the chart when it comes to good vs bad customer service. They will not get another chance to leave me hanging, or what is the purpose for the coverage?

Enjoy the ride,

Jon

Christopher said:
Just recieved my Roadsmart 3's yesterday.  Am I a fan of saving money, yes! Would I rather spend a little more for an updated, newer build date tire?  Yes!  Speaking of build dates. One has the typical 4 digit code week-year. The other has 4 letters... 🤷‍♂️

I think you will realy like the RS 3's. I used to be a Michlin man but no more. Seemed like I was always putting air in the PR 2's, 3's and 4's before going on a ride after the bike sat a couple of days. The RS 3's keep the air. After a week I went from 42 t 41.5 cold according to my gauge. That wwas not worth messing with IMHO.