• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Re: What did You Do to your C-10 Today?

Thanks for the offer! I almost bought a set, but then I poked around on eBay and found a cover from a bike sold overseas without the PAIR. I think it was off a GPZ900, but it's the same cover as our bikes. Just gotta get it cleaned up.View attachment 37622
Not a problem. That’s the way to go. Went the same with mine. Makes valves adjustment so much easier.
EF50AADE-1223-4980-8AD3-3A46702737AA.jpeg

I hate to admit this, but Crag; That looks REALLY good!

Ride safe, Ted
I'm glad I'm not the only one who succumbed to temptation in sanding down the ribs on the GPZ cover. I painted it semi-gloss black and intended to leave it solid as the stock Connie cover was, but it was just too much to resist to give if the sporty treatment, even if I'm the only one who sees it during maintenance.

Y'all got my interest up.
Found these;

Last edited:
Y'all got my interest up.
Found these;

Those all look good.

This is the seller I bought mine from. I think I paid about $70 total to my door. I've bought several things from them now, for both the Connie and my ZX600-C, and have been pleased with the experience. Prices and shipping have been fair, and they ship out pretty quick. Just be prepared that your stuff will probably sit in custom clearance for 1-2 weeks. I usually got my stuff in 3-4 weeks, though.

Here's what mine looked like before and after paint. I cleaned it really well with Simple Green Pro and a stainless wire brush, then acetone. I masked it off then primed with Rustoleum High-Heat primer, then use the high-temp BBQ paint. I cured it for an hour at 450 deg in the kitchen oven the next day. I sanded it after that to raw aluminum on the fins and lettering. I can't report yet on the durability, but it looks good!

Attachments

• PXL_20231125_152052615.MP (1).jpg
    PXL_20231125_152052615.MP (1).jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20231129_065756707 (1).jpg
    PXL_20231129_065756707 (1).jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20231225_210854369.jpg
    PXL_20231225_210854369.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 24
(Believe it or not) I wuz being good.
I was minding my own business. (Just reading and replying to the Forum)
,,,,,,,,,and then y'all (rotten individuals) went and posted photo's...
So I bought one.
(Don't tell my wife)

Ride safe, Ted

Update 1/17/24; Still waitin' for delivery. Supposedly, it's now in Willis TeXaS.

Last edited:
(Believe it or not) I wuz being good.
I was minding my own business. (Just reading and replying to the Forum)
,,,,,,,,,and then y'all (rotten individuals) went and posted photo's...
So I bought one.
(Don't tell my wife)

Ride safe, Ted

Don't tell my WIFE......this might be sum gud info to use in the future.....for bartering that is.

Here's what mine looked like before and after paint. I cleaned it really well with Simple Green Pro and a stainless wire brush, then acetone. I masked it off then primed with Rustoleum High-Heat primer, then use the high-temp BBQ paint. I cured it for an hour at 450 deg in the kitchen oven the next day. I sanded it after that to raw aluminum on the fins and lettering. I can't report yet on the durability, but it looks good!
I went thru the same seller. Well packaged.
I scrubbed mine down and used Duplicolor engine primer and followed with Duplicolor engine enamel. One of my many favorites mods😂😂
3996D61E-402C-4918-B580-B1FB2758B9CD.jpeg

REALLY cold here in northern IL, so I've been working on little stuff in my basement instead of the unheated garage. Got my airbox patched up tonight. It did not have the common split along the bottom, but the flange that the filter cover bolts onto was separated, the cover was warped, and the foam seal was disintegrated. I got the airbox flange put back together with some hot-melt staples and epoxy and re-shaped the cover with a heat gun. I just need to get some foam weatherstripping for the cover now and I should be good.

Oh, I also got a plug sealed into the suction air grommet as part of my suction air delete. It's just a plastic furniture plug from the hardware store that fit the inside of the grommet well, sealed with RTV. I did the same thing on my 600 and that worked well. I looked at getting a solid grommet the correct size, but it was hard to find at quantities less than 10 or 20. That would be my ideal solution, but this works fine and is hidden anyway.

1000004241.jpg

1000004242.jpg

1000004244.jpg

1000004243.jpg

Ive got a question about the airbox on these bikes; is there a reason we don't rejet and use pod filters?

-Z

Ive got a question about the airbox on these bikes; is there a reason we don't rejet and use pod filters?

-Z
A great time to ask!

The 2 minute Jett Kit is a dyno proven modification that costs little.
It causes smother power and more torque.

The reason I mention it is; it uses smaller main jett's and it intentionally restricts the air flow.
(done with a piece of foam rubber placed in the intake of the airbox)
(Yea, I know it's counter to all that we've always thought. But it works!)

Going to pods would do the opposite. (unrestricted air flow)
(With jett changes, the Pods may give you a bit more peak power but the low end will suffer).

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Here's another little fix I did last night. The locating nub was broken off the left bar switchgear housing. It keeps it from rotating, and I see these broken pretty often on Kawasakis that use this housing, as a sticky enricher cable or plungers cause the enricher lever to twist it with more force and shear it off. Since the little broken but was still stuck into he handlebar, I was able to super-glue it back together, with a snug-fitting finish nail in the middle for reinforcement, which j then trimmed off flush with a Dremel tool. If the broken nub is missing you can do the same thing, but will need to make a new piece out of some spare plastic, or epoxy putty.

1000004245.jpg

1000004246.jpg

I rebuilt my petcock last night. It wasn't obviously leaking or otherwise malfunctioning, but since the bike had been sitting for a while before I got it, and had some pretty nasty gas, I figured it would be good preventative maintenance. The parts inside seemed to be mostly OK, but the diaphragm was a bit crusty, and the diaphragm O-ring seemed a little hard.

I used an All Balls kits, rather than K&L, partly to see how it holds up in comparison. It looked good enough quality, and only difference I could tell from stock or K&L, is that the valve seal O-ring provided is actually an X-ring. Not sure if that's better or worse.

I ran the parts through my ultrasonic, and as usual, was amazed at how shiny it came out. I also polished the diaphragm shut-off seat, sanded the back of the valve and polished it, and polished up the valve area inside the body.

I did some testing with vacuum pump and confirmed it working fine, although once the diaphragm did not fully seat and seal. Not sure if that was a fluke from it being dry, or something to watch. I just installed overflow tubes in my carbs too, so I have peace of mind there.

1000004249.jpg

1000004250.jpg
1000004251.jpg

1000004252.jpg
1000004254.jpg

The PO of my bike gave me a spare gas tank. Would it be worth it to pull the petcock off of that one and rebuild it? Or should I spring the $100 for a new one from Kawasaki?

-Z