• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rear brake caliper

2004 c 10…
Replacing rear (and front brake pads. My rear caliper appears to need to be “screwed in” to compress the cylinder to accommodate the new pads. Any suggestions on the best way to accomplish this? Many thanks!

That doesnt sound correct..i m just looked at a fsm procedure for compressing the cylinder. Says to compress the cylinder by hand.

Would clean puck/seal interface with mild detergent and soap by toothbrush method scrupulously.
This so as not to damage seal when pushing puck back in for new pad clearance.
Note to self and anyone else: brake cleaner will damage the seal and other rubber parts
Also would siphon some brake fluid from the master so as not to have spillover when puck is compressed.

Do note also it does not screw in but is compressed after clean. W/O clean may be difficult by hand.

Would clean puck/seal interface with mild detergent and soap by toothbrush method scrupulously.
This so as not to damage seal when pushing puck back in for new pad clearance.
Note to self and anyone else: brake cleaner will damage the seal and other rubber parts
Also would siphon some brake fluid from the master so as not to have spillover when puck is compressed.

Do note also it does not screw in but is compressed after clean. W/O clean may be difficult by hand.
Thanks! Will give it a try

+1 on the C-Clamp.

It's been a while since I did a stock C-10 rear. (My C-10 has a front caliper installed on the rear)
But, I recall the rear being a PITA to get the pads in.

You have to push the piston back and put them in in a *certain order.
**(Sorry, don't recall the order) Someone else will post that.
You "have" to position the pad in exactly the right location for it to go in.

Even doing this, it's frustrating to get the first one in.
It just won't snap into place,,, "until it does".
And (Once it does) you'll wonder why it was so difficult.

Ride safe, Ted

+1 on the C-Clamp.

It's been a while since I did a stock C-10 rear. (My C-10 has a front caliper installed on the rear)
But, I recall the rear being a PITA to get the pads in.

You have to push the piston back and put them in in a *certain order.
**(Sorry, don't recall the order) Someone else will post that.
You "have" to position the pad in exactly the right location for it to go in.

Even doing this, it's frustrating to get the first one in.
It just won't snap into place,,, "until it does".
And (Once it does) you'll wonder why it was so difficult.

Ride safe, Ted
Thanks!
I’m sure it can’t be worse than BMW or Benz brake jobs! 😆

I used to use a clamp but these are so much easier for me. If it doesn't quite fit over the rotor it's easier to push just a little more. I use the same ones over and over.