• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Rear tire size

cuda

I've been running 200/50 last 2 tires this time a 190/50 roadsmart 3's

To me It feels stiff as I start a turn?

I remember talk a while back about 50 VS 55

did feel better today by my self driving aggressively but last night with a 100lb girl on the back

just didn't feel right, Ideas?

I raised my front forks by 0.6 inches (so, lowered the front) and this improved the handling/turning, clearly, so recommend this. I imagine even 0.3 inches would be noticeable. My bike has risers which provide the clearance.

This front lowering also provided slightly better foot contact for this 5 foot 9 rider.

I've been running 200/50 last 2 tires this time a 190/50 roadsmart 3's

To me It feels stiff as I start a turn?

I remember talk a while back about 50 VS 55

did feel better today by my self driving aggressively but last night with a 100lb girl on the back

just didn't feel right, Ideas?
Three thoughts - Tire pressure, 200 width and now 50 height.

Pressure: If the tires are sticky enough, most probably are, raising a couple PSI may help nimbleness.

200 width: will add some extra flatness to the tire this slower / heavier turn in. Also the tire itself I expect would be heavier - impact, I don’t know - it is weight though.

190/ 50 standard size tire brings up the 55 discussion you mentioned. I do use the 55 and agree the profile does seem to help turn in and me speedometer is now right on as well.

Have you tried the 190/ 55? Would suggest give it a try - also geometry the Red Fox brought up.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

FYI. Pirelli track/track day tires don't even offer 190 width tires anymore (the ones you buy at the track). The 200 widths are 200/60 to get the same kind of profile as the 190/55.

Yeah I ran two sets of Diablo Rosso tires before, but I read all the reports of the Dunlop road smart so I gave them a try...

The Pirelli's were 200/55 I thought they were 50's but I was wrong

Ill be going back to them, I don't care how many miles I get because I only ride 3,000 per year for the last 11 years on this bike.

Last edited:
My gut says the C-14 was made for 200/55 ZR 17 tires and the speedometer is right on with the 200's. Unfortunately, they are for sport bikes and when you put 3000 miles on every 2 months I ride the Angle GT II that give me 12,000 plus a set of tires.