• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Recommendations for waterproof glove covers?

Stein

I have electric heated gloves that work great.  But I'm planning a road trip and if I get rained on, I'd like to have something to keep them dry.  Anyone have experience with waterproof over-gloves or "hippo hands" attachments? I'd like to know what you got and how it works.  Thanks!

I haven’t used them yet, but I just bought the Aerostich Triple Digit covers. The construction looks really good, and I like the fact that they fit comfortably over top of gloves, without being overly baggie. They seem like they’re going to work really well. The nice part is they fold up nice and compact. You could easily stick them in a jacket pocket.

I don't know of too many heated glove manufacturers that offer them without GoreTex, or some other breathable "membrane' layer, so if yours aren't like that, I'm thinking you should have looked closer when purchasing..
But I do X10 agree on the Aerostich Triple Digit over gloves, easy to use, and keep in a pocket, other than that, it's down to plastic bags, duct tape, or rubber bands, and maybe even those huge rubber gloves used on the farm, for sticking ones hand/arm up inside a cow's butt... but that's an extreme...
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great: :great:

My Gerbing gloves have Hipora lining in them and are waterproof.  Gerbing does recommend spraying them with a waterproofing spray to keep the leather from getting water logged.

Years ago, I bought some handlebar muffs.  They worked great to both keep my hands dry and warmer.  Here's some thoughts:
  • Look for "snowmobile" muffs.  They are basically identical, but cost less because they don't say "motorcycle" on the box.  I paid $25 several years ago for my snowmobile handlebar muffs.  Motorcycle muffs at the time were selling for $60-80. 
  • Make sure they won't be moved back against the clutch and brake levers by the wind.  I installed "L" shaped brackets to hold mine out.
  • Make sure no air comes inside.

The "L" shaped bracket I made was pretty simple.  I used some scrap metal I had and bent it in an "L" to go from the handlebar weight forward in front of the clutch and brake levers.  It was held in place by the screw that holds the handlebar weight in place.  There was nothing pretty or fancy about it, but when the muff was over it, no one else noticed.  It would take about 3 times of putting my hands in without looking to get the proper muscle memory to do it all the time without thinking about it.  And the "L" shaped bracket also made it easy to get my fingers in front of the levers.

I used mine on a Suzuki Burgman scooter.  It has a plastic handlebar cover.  The openings in that cover forced air into the muffs.  It was like putting my hands directly into the wind.  I stuffed rags into the openings and used black duct tape to hold things in place.  In the end, I had a warm, dry place to put my hands. 

Chris

Thanks all!  I'm going to give the aerostich triple digit's a try.
My gloves are tour master brand.  They might have gore-tex, but even so, the outer leather could take days to dry out.

charger_john said:
... the outer leather could take days to dry out.
That's why you spray them with a waterproofing spray.  Fred Meyer has the cans in the camping gear area for about $7 each.  Go in on the first Tuesday of the month and you can claim your old-fogie discount of another 10% off.

It's worth it to spray them, even with the Aerostitch gloves.

I'll pick up 4-6 cans of the stuff and respray all my riding gear a couple times a year.

Chris

I had a set of the Held Dual Dry (or whatever they're called) cold weather 2 in 1 goretex cold weather gloves.

It took one really wet, cold day in Yellowstone to soak them all the way through.  It was like wearing two big bags of water on my hands.  ::)

I'm still looking for the perfect Goretex setup, because I believe in the product, but I think having a glove with a single OUTER layer and h20 repellent on on the leather is the way to go -- NOT an inner layer.  Bonded, laminated Goretex.  Tough to find.

This year, I'm doing regular leather gloves with SIlk liners for cold weather, and the Aerostich Lobsters on the outside when it rains.

Only complaint with the Aero's, is they are very narrow around the wrists, and tough to get over my gauntlet gloves.

gr

Daboo said:
charger_john said:
... the outer leather could take days to dry out.
That's why you spray them with a waterproofing spray.  Fred Meyer has the cans in the camping gear area for about $7 each.  Go in on the first Tuesday of the month and you can claim your old-fogie discount of another 10% off.

It's worth it to spray them, even with the Aerostitch gloves.

I'll pick up 4-6 cans of the stuff and respray all my riding gear a couple times a year.

Chris

I was thinking the same as Chris did.
Seems like spraying them with waterproof sealer would do the trick?

Ride safe, Ted

I was thinking the same as Chris did.
Seems like spraying them with waterproof sealer would do the trick?

Ride safe, Ted
[/quote]

Not in a steady downpour it won't.  Especially in slower traffic or stop and go.  :truce:
Wet is wet.

gr

both of my leather (insulated intermediate, and extreme cold) gloves, even tho made with Gore Linings, finally will get soaked in an 8 hour tour ride, if constantly being rain pummeled..

after the last experience of that, having thrown my "totally waterproof p.o.s." thin gloves from Roadgear into the depths of my trunk, and rolling on with the other leathers on, I figured I'd try something MORE than the traditional sprays... which work for a while, then give out...

I dug out a can of treatment which was used on a set of Waxed Cotton jacket and pants, from the 70's, Fallstaff gear, which even tho my fellow riders made fun of, I always seemed to be dry...

the stuff is still manufactured..
http://www.aerostich.com/suits/repellents-and-sealants/martexin-wax-refinishing-compound.html

on leather, I wasn't sure, but it actually DID work great... and prevented the major absorption, extending the time to 'soak thru' 10x longer... cheap, and easy, I do my leather gloves with it now, and even my perforated Icon summer gloves don't really 'soak up' water...

I do have half a tub of SnoSeal, and may even try that for the "backs of hands and sides of fingers ONLY" use, as that stuff is waxy, and slippery, but the back of the hand and insides of the fingers are what really gets soaked anyways...
same with this stuff, which I never used, but may in future on boots...
http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/footwear/repair-and-accessories/aquaseal-leather-conditioner.html

I think you will like them!!!

charger_john said:
Thanks all!  I'm going to give the aerostich triple digit's a try.
My gloves are tour master brand.  They might have gore-tex, but even so, the outer leather could take days to dry out.

These gloves are worth your consideration.  They work great.  Windproof and waterproof plus they are easy to take on and off your heated or regular riding gloves.

https://www.klim.com/Forecast-Split-Finger-Glove-4099-000

4099-000_Black_01.jpg

I bought some this morning.  Not for the rain, but cold.  I find my Gerbing gloves breathe too well when the temps get below 30F and they have problems keeping up with the cold air.  Maybe my hands are just getting more wimpy and susceptible to the cold.

There's other alternatives out there, some as low as $13, with shipping.  I suspect they will last about $13 worth.

Chris

Staylo said:
I haven’t used them yet, but I just bought the Aerostich Triple Digit covers. The construction looks really good, and I like the fact that they fit comfortably over top of gloves, without being overly baggie. They seem like they’re going to work really well. The nice part is they fold up nice and compact. You could easily stick them in a jacket pocket.
Great recommendation. I was looking for a better solution than just packing extra gloves. I never liked the Cycle Gear solutions, so when I saw these I jumped on them.  They shipped in four days.  With all of the riding in the rain, especially the last three years, I’m kicking myself for not finding these sooner. I can’t say I can’t wait to ride in the rain to test them out, but they look like winners. I got the XL and they work over my heated gloves as well. I think on colder days, it will be an extra wind break for the gloves. Might even use them to commute to work on the bicycle. Thanks for pointing them out.  :great: