• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Recommended Cold Tire pressure

mattgarr57

I picked up a 2012 yesterday and the po didn’t have the owners manual.  Is 36/42 the recommended cold tire pressure for front and rear?  Thanks!

I never question tire manufactures or the owners manual, if they recommend 42 cold front rear thats what I do.  :beerchug:

Yes, I recommend pressure....even when the tires are cold. 

Sorry....could not resist providing a SA response.  No offence intended..... :great:

There is a sticker on my 2011 on the left side of the bike right below the seat in plain view that has the recommended Tire Pressure. 42/42

This topic I’ve had interest in as well, would like to explore further.  Anyone aware of a reputable Load and Inflation Chart for the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT or general guidance from Kawasaki? 

My wife and I ride (360# combined wgt.) 2-up enthusiastically and find sets of PR4GT’s worn to the bars between 4,500 - 5,500 miles.  We always brake straight line however enjoy rolling-on at apex and exiting corners with authority. Pressures always 42 PSI cold, rise to 43-46 depending on temp, road surface and road type (mountain, slab, back road).

We do have a premium Penske shock that is tuned well.  Although the PR4GT’s are relatively soft I am curious if a pressure change would slow the wear without sacrificing ride or traction.

Lastly - Center of tire outlasts mid radius of tire.

Thanks for your thought fellow enthusiasts.

Hi 2andBlue
I know we're not riding two wheeled cars,but on a car tire that type of wear indicates low pressure, as the center isn't making as much contact with the pavement as the mid radius. Unless you're corner carving and wearing the edges off!  >:D

Corner carving with current loaded weight is the primary driver.  I’m not willing to cork the fun so the choices are different (harder) tire or inflation pressure change.  I really like the PR4GT’s, they stick great and handling unmatched in the rain.

If nothing pops up as a load / inflation guide I’ll contact Michelin and ask the technical staff - will share. 

I'm w wingedspirit on this one. Dave moss is the west coast susp guru. His word is gospel. 42psi.... Must b hard as a rock. I'll bet in corners the contact patch doesn't change... Smh

2 things; {for nit pickers}

1# All tire gauges are "not" he same and will not agree, plus they will read differently than the TMPS.
    Find/use "1" good gauge , find out how close it is to the TMPS, and use only that gauge for accuracy.

2# NOTE: I live in Houston, and the road surfaces are "hot".
    I set mine up so that {cold} the TMPS displays 40/41 PSI.
    Soon after the ride starts, the tire temp increases and the TMPS display increases to 42 PSI.

If I start with a 42 PSI TMPS reading, {and if I'm playing in the twisties  >:D} the TMPS pressure sometimes increases to 43/44 PSI.
I'm not certain if that small PSI difference is important overall, but I prefer to have 42 indicated after the tire gets hot.

Ride safe, Ted

A question about this:

For track days, don't riders put their tire pressure at about 28 or so?

If I remember correctly, one company that hosted track days, or racing instruction, directed customers to either arrive with new rubber, or bring it, and then they put tire inflation to somewhere around 25 - 30 or so.  And they leave it there for the weekend's riding.

Can that be right?

To add to gPink's questions:

What is the effect of 28 psi?

Obviously greater traction under racing/track conditions, I guess, but what if we all did that?  Why wouldn't we?

Are the tires trashed after a weekend?

At a track weekend, riders learn, among other things, that your bike can be leaned WAY over in a turn, much more than thought possible by the average recreational rider, without loss of traction.

What would happen if the tires were at 42 psi and we took a curve like they do at the track?

Pardon my ignorance;  I've never done a weekend at the track event.

TLR said:
To add to gPink's questions:

What is the effect of 28 psi?

Obviously greater traction under racing/track conditions, I guess, but what if we all did that?  Why wouldn't we?

Are the tires trashed after a weekend?

At a track weekend, riders learn, among other things, that your bike can be leaned WAY over in a turn, much more than thought possible by the average recreational rider, without loss of traction.

What would happen if the tires were at 42 psi and we took a curve like they do at the track?

Pardon my ignorance;  I've never done a weekend at the track event.

Good questions. I wonder the same.

gPink said:
Did that not cause a low tire warning?

Yes, I got low tire warning..

Lowering the pressure allows the tread of the tire to deform more in the turns and gives you better grip.

We didn't destroy our tires at the track days, but we put some serious wear on them!

I'm pretty certain that Racers go to a lower pressure than we did.
    I think Doug suggested 20# or 25#. But the weight of a Connie it too great to go lower.
Some were uncomfortable at 28#, and didn't drop the pressure.
  Even at 28# I spun-up my rear tire a couple of times..
    Didn't notice Traction Control kicking in, but it was very brief and wasn't a problem. {Thank you Lord!!}

Geez, it was a fun day though!!! Everyone was Grinnin'..  :)
  If you haven't participated in a COG track Day, "DO IT"!!!

Ride safe, Ted

That makes sense regarding having the extra grip in the curves, but sure seems like it would not  be as well suited to any straightaways, if/when there are any. I know there are a lot of twists and turns on this particular track, so it makes sense. Do super-sport racers do the same on the tracks they run on? Guessing so, somewhat...